Skip to main content

Reply to "What % of high school baseball players can hit home runs?"

bobbyaguho posted:
Matt13 posted:
bobbyaguho posted:

My 2014 son's team hit 11.He hit 7 of them(2 opposite field). 2015 team hit 10 and 2016 team hit 4. Field dimensions 325 down the lines,370 in the gaps and 400 in center. Most of the HS fields they played on were similar in dimensions.The big difference was the micro climates.Schools closer to the Bay and ocean often had heavy marine layer and the ocean breeze blowing in which kept more balls in the park.The schools out in the East County have a much different desert like climate.The ball really carries well out there.I suspect our team would have had 20 plus HR's if we had played out there.

FYI--balls travel farther in humid air...

Matt13,

I'm not sure where you live but when it's Spring time (HS baseball season) here in coastal SoCal, the Marine layer with it's cool heavy air coupled with a breeze blowing in from the bay or ocean does impact balls hit in the air.It knocks them down and keeps them in the park. Son played on almost every field in SD County and a bunch in Orange & L.A.County too. The fields near the bay or ocean have much different climates than those that are 30+ miles inland.

I just finished throwing BP to my son in the cage . It's almost 5:00 pm and there is a heavy marine layer and the wind is gusting off the bay. Not conducive for homeruns. If the Padres were playing at home this evening the chances of a seeing a HR would be slim.If you have ever been to Petco for an evening game in April,May or June you would know this to be true.

Another example. Last night the Giants were playing the Dodgers at ATT park. Brandon Crawford and Buster Posey both crushed balls to the fence off of Kershaw late in the game.The cool heavy ocean air and breeze from the bay kept those balls in the park.If this was Chase Field in PHX those are HR's.Giants would have won 3-2.Instead, they lost 2-1.

Again, humid air is lighter. If anything is a causal factor in what you have said, it's the wind.