Skip to main content

Reply to "What % of high school baseball players can hit home runs?"

I saw this post and did some digging.  In Cincinnati I looked at 4 Conferences top 50 Hitters.  Greater Miami Conference (Big Public Conference - Mason - Colerain - Fairfield - the Lakota's Hamilton ETC).  The GCL Boys Moeller Elder LaSalle and Xavier)  The GCL Co-ed Badin McNick etc - D2 and D3 Schools and the ECC - (the #2 Div 1 league - Milford - Loveland - Anderson Turpin).  Many of the D1 and D2 State qualifiers come from these conferences.

About 60 of the Top 200 hit at least 1,  None hit more than 5.   The big number was that it only happened once every 140+ AB -  So basically if a game averages 55AB's it happens about once every 2-3 games.

High Schools still use flat seam baseballs, So Pitching and Defense rule the roost in Southwest Ohio.    Offenses look for Gap 2 Gap hitters with High on-base.   I would imagine that at the smaller schools HR's are even more rare -  there is always an Andrew Benittendi  out there,  Home Runs are hard to come by. 

(D1 College Baseball averages about .4 HR per team per Game so just under 1 per game - using flat baseballs).

So in short,  my best answer would be about 1 in 4 players in general hit a home run  about 1 in 20 hit more than 1.