Skip to main content

Reply to "What say you..."

Twoboys posted:

I always worry (for my 2017 too) when we hear "guarantees" that you would be a starter or get X playing time NOW, up front.  How can any coach know?

Playing time is earned in my opinion -- and NOT given.  

A coach, whether a winning program or not, should want to put in the line up that he or she thinks gives the team the best chance to win.  My son would plan to make it hard for a coach not to have him in that line up, no matter the preconceived notions.  Any coach that is telling my son right now that he will be a starter as a freshman or that he wouldn't have a chance to start, before he has ever seen the whole recruited team together and knows who can be slotted where and what so and so did over the summer etc, is someone I want to be a little weary of to be honest.    

So I would say go where he will be challenged. That can be choice A or B. Most players want to compete and be challenged. And not just by opposing teams. They want to be challenged by their team mates.

one school came ay my son very hard. One of the coaches selling points was, "I cannot promise you will be a starter, but I know the talent I have, and you have more talent, than my current players." He was a new coach for this program, but not new to coaching. He had been a successful assistant at the D1 level, and a sucessfull head coach at the D2 level. This was a D3. When I heard this, I thought, you just lost my son. He had spent too many seasons being the best player on a bad teams, and that did not interest him for college. He wanted to be on a team, where he would have to compete, and he would be challenged . 

He did not pick this school. The school became very sucessfull at the regional level, but my son beat them every time they met. It was in a different conference but his team played them once or twice a year. 

Everyone says go where you are loved. And I agree, but 8f you have the talent and you are lucky, you will have more than one school that loves you. You don't always need to choose the school that loves you most. My son went to a school that loved him, but not the one that loved him most. And he has no regrets.