Skip to main content

Reply to "What size bat for an 8 year old..."

quote:
Originally posted by Midlo Dad:
Depends on how big and strong he is. There is a wide disparity in size among 8-year-olds. They should not all be swinging the same sized bat.

One thing's for sure, if you let the kid choose, 99% of the time he will pick a bat that is too big for him. Most kids that age should probably be using 27's and 28's. A rare kid might swing a 29. Some of the smaller fry should perhaps still be using a 26, or choking up on a longer bat.

A big myth is that if the bat is lighter, you can go longer. Not true. The further the load is from the hands, the more torque it takes to control the barrel. Weight saved in the handle area does not really change this much. It may improve bat speed, but it doesn't improve bat head control.

I agree,it also depends on how good the mechanics of the kid.A long sweeping swing and the kid will not be able to handle the longer or heavier bats.I would recomend that MOST stay in the -10 to -11 range.IMO,the -12 are too long for their weight distribution.Reasons stated above.

My son has a short compact swing and he is strong and has been able to handle the -9 bats since he was 6,he started using a 29", 20 oz bat when he was 8.He was on a machine then and he is still using the same bat now at 10 against live pitching.So,it is definatley something that is dictated by the kid himself but the above guidelines are good imo.