Skip to main content

Reply to "Whats the reality of a 2018 player walking onto a D1 Team?"

Trust In Him posted:
RJM posted:

I could see someone who is a Baseball lifer who knows he won't go very far  as a player, who wants to be a coach, going to a specific D1 to learn from the coaching staff.  

I know of a kid that did this in basketball. Instead of going D2 he walked on at a D1 power. He never played when it mattered. He wants to be a coach. He decided part of his education would be learning by being coached by one of the best. He has a player’s NCAA championship ring. He's now a graduate assistant.

When he contacted the coach he sold himself as someone who would practice hard with the scout team against the starters, have a high GPA and graduate keeping their APR up. 

One of the rare occurrences where it actually worked.  A local HS girl's basketball player walked on to a high D1 program.  She didn't make the team but they kept her as the student team manager.  Due to a few misfortunes of the team (injuries, maybe inelig, etc) they were short 1 roster player going into the season.  They gave that spot to the team manager.  She played sparingly but did score a few points.  Her claim to fame is she made it to the NCAA  finals and I think even got in for a few minutes.  Here it worked out great for this walk on.

But did it really work?   She could have started on a D3 team!

Players want to play.