Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know your son was going to get an offer from a school?"

Midwest Mom posted:
too.tall posted:

The common thread seems to be that the high school coach had no role or a very minimal role in the recruiting process and that the travel coach played a lead role.  

This is a good observation Too Tall.  Ironically, I've heard several college coaches say that they prefer to talk to the HS coach as he sees the boys during the school year and understands how they balance academics with athletics/time management, etc.  Interested to hear from others on whether the HS coach played a role...

The D1 HC actually spoke to everyone other than the HS HC.  I got word that opposition coaches, opposition travel coaches in the area, a juco AC and a parent who is an acquaintance. The D1HC basically inquired about what type of character, ethics, leadership, ego, and work ethics my son had.  Very few questions were about baseball ability.  I don't know if this is the norm but thought it was a pretty unique procedure. 

My son's case started September of his senior year. 3 schools showed interest, one was eliminated because no scholly until his jr year if he lasted.  Mid October his top short list school presented a verbal offer. Within 3 days after some discussion an agreement was reached and in a few weeks NLI was signed.  So it happened very fast but over a very slow process. End of day everything happens for a reason. Initially things could have been better if done differently but the results that he experienced is a dream come true for him. Trust in the process, trust in Him.

Last edited by Trust In Him