Skip to main content

Reply to "When did you know your son was going to get an offer from a school?"

Midwest Mom posted:
too.tall posted:

The common thread seems to be that the high school coach had no role or a very minimal role in the recruiting process and that the travel coach played a lead role.  

This is a good observation Too Tall.  Ironically, I've heard several college coaches say that they prefer to talk to the HS coach as he sees the boys during the school year and understands how they balance academics with athletics/time management, etc.  Interested to hear from others on whether the HS coach played a role...

I agree with BACDORSALIDER.   It is a collection of information between HS Head Coach and Travel Coach that is used to get insights into what makes a recruit tick.  When my son was considering local and regional schools that were more focused on baseball ability;  his travel coach was significantly more involved in outgoing and incoming calls.    Later in the process when son was considering high academic schools both his HS Coach and Travel Coach were contacted.  There were specific questions about his work ethic, interests, class rigor,  leadership and baseball skills.

For any school that values their scholarship dollars or high academic schools that values their slot picks, I think it is very reasonable to expect a recruits high school coach  AND travel coach to be contacted.