Skip to main content

Reply to "When should a Parent talk to a College Coach?"

The title reminds me of a kind of funny story during our first son's recruitment.  He was a pretty big recruit and so he had lots of interest, coaches coming to the house, phone calls, UVs, OVs, etc...

My wife enjoyed 'testing' coaches and so she would ask each one if she could be the team mom.  I was thinking 'you have to be kidding,' but my wife has a mind of her own.  It was kind of cute(?) to watch each coach do verbal somersaults trying to answer that question politely without blowing the deal.

Then there was Coach Marquess from Stanford.  His answer was perfect!  "Oh no Mrs. JBB, we don't do that.  In fact, the only time I will ever talk to you is now as I'm recruiting your son and after he is finished.  I will say 'hi' when we come face-to-face on the sidewalk, but no, no, no - we don't need a team mom and I won't talk to you."

He somewhat lived up to that, which I appreciated, but my wife continued to test throughout our son's time at Stanford.  Often sending our youngest daughter over with a box of candy bars or snacks after a game, from which nearly everyone took one.  She even sent her over there after some losses, which made me cringe.  Then there were Easter baskets for each player, which the other moms got into helping prepare as well.  And at some point late in our son's freshman year, the coaches started getting into the end of the line for their own 'snack' before the bus ride home.

Ultimately, in large part because our son suffered a bad injury in summer ball requiring lots of surgeries, my wife and Coach Marquess became 'friends.'  He called her every so often, his wife would talk to her at length before games - and my wife would hire graduated players for an internship at her company...he would send her flowers thanking her.  Even after our younger son was playing at UW 3-4 years later, he would call asking if she could take another post-grad intern.

I dunno, I probably shouldn't have told that story on a public site, but I actually think it is quite endearing towards the coaches.

Last edited by justbaseball