Skip to main content

Reply to "Where's PG?"

I think where these waters get muddy is when we mix in Jerry with PG and the industry.  No doubt, from everything I have seen, Jerry Ford is a stand up guy with a big heart.  On the flip side, the industry as a whole has monetized a kids dream.  For better or worse Jerry is the founder of the industry leader Perfect Game.  Absolutely having the founder available for feed back has value.  Yes, the 1%er's all love the industry.  The industry was made for the 1%er's.  BUT, the industry wouldn't be what it is today without all the 99%er's. 

Being a parent is hard.  Probably why being a parent is so darn rewarding.  The industry creates a lot of stress on the parent of 99%er's.  Parents want to provide every opportunity for their kid to succeed.  The common theme to be the best you have to play the best.   To support this costs BIG dollars.  Many times dollars families can't afford or at least stretch the budget.  Parents will do everything they can to help support their son's dreams.  Many times it's easier to pay the freight than tell your son he is only average and it doesn't make sense to spend the money to travel across the country.  Again that's on the parent, but the industry put the parent in that position.  In the past the game made it obvious when it was time to hang them up.   

I know in the end that what event, tournament, showcase, coach, travel team my son plays has very little  to do with when my son will no longer be asked to play.