Skip to main content

Reply to "Where's PG?"

CoachB25 posted:
Golfman25 posted:
2019Lefty21 posted:

I’m gonna step in here and give my 2 cents which I am usually very careful to do on this board. PG is certainly not the only way to learn about and participate in the college recruiting process but I will say this. Son has been excited to perform in PG tournaments because we know in most cases he will be facing top notch competition. He has been given feedback via trackman that has taught us a lot about his delivery, strengths and weaknesses in pitches we wouldn’t have gotten for free any where else. He has NOT been to a PG showcase only tournaments, and he has verbally committed to an outstanding D1 program during his sophomore year. Those same coaches were able to monitor him and see him pitch twice last summer at PG events in Lake Pointe and Ft Myers against strong competition hopefully reinforcing their decision to offer him that young as a good decision. None of that cost me any more than being in any other travel event we have been in. As son enters his junior year we decided in this his final high school season we could only do a couple things beyond his normal summer team schedule and the first thing out of his mouth was he wanted to do the National Showcase at the Trop if invited. Because of that, and the fact that he just happened to receive the invite 4 days later, dad has agreed to take him and pay for his first showcase as a reward for his hard work. So in my world PG has provided my son the chance to be seen, the opportunity to show his skill set against the best competition, receive feedback via electronic data and from his potential college coaches, and also give him confidence in himself, and an avenue for reward from dad, all at no cost to me to this point. I also have received feedback from Jerry in a PM within 24 hours of asking a question about my son last October. For those of you who want to drive him away from this website, go find your own place to provide your noise!

No question the PG model works for the guys like your kid.  They are the top % of players destined for D1. But what does it do for the average HS kid who'll end up at the local D3 college less than an hour from his house?  Sure the competition, travel, team stories and life experience will all count for something.  But I know several players/families that have spent thousands traveling the country only to go to a small school in their back yard.  I also know a few that never left the "neighborhood" and ended up at the same place. 

My first thought then is who's fault is this?  You can't suggest it is Jerry's fault.  Parents have to be honest with themselves and I'd suggest that most really know the abilities of their sons but still reach for this slight chance that something bigger might come along.  TB Coaches also should be held accountable.  PG is offering a service.  Buyer beware.  Parents if you are honest with yourself, you know the level of play your son can play at.  JMHO!

Yes and no.  Sure the parent has to say "no, this is nuts" at some point.  But the showcase organizations keep opening up more and more spots.  At some point maybe they need to say less is more.