Skip to main content

Reply to "Where's PG?"

I debated as to whether of not to post anything on this topic.  I dare say that having 4 that went through the recruiting , travel ball, PG events I have been to more and seen more than 99% of the parents.  of course that in it's self does not make me an authority on the subject but close.  

It seems the issue is with parents that really do not understand the landscape.  First of all to blame Jerry for creating PG , attending his events, and then complaining that your son did not get multiple D1 offers is ridiculous.  So let's drop the PG is suckering parents , that is simply not the case.

It should be required reading for every new parent to read the posts that PGStaff, TPM, and many others have posted.  I my 8-9 years on this board I have had to often times learn the hard way.  But what they say is true, parents just refuse to hear it.  1.) PG is not for everyone.  2) go to a school that if baseball ended prematurely for you that you can still attend and get your education.  3.) for most 95% of the players looking to play in college , have good grades.  Good scores and grades will take you further than relying on a travel team coach, PG , PBR etc.   4.) Control what you can control.

Furthermore,  I often wonder if not most of the time the parents are wanting this more than the student/athlete.  Wow there's a term you don't hear much, student/athlete.  

I ask the question, do parents really feel that attending a PG event is going to get you noticed and get an offer?  PG provides the venue, they  do not decide for the multitude of coaches, teams, RC's and HC's who is going to go to what game and if your player is even going to perform to the level .

If they capped the teams , then people would complain that they are elitist.  

i would guess that if you asked the players that go to these events they realize the chances they get an offer is low. But there are other reasons to go.  doing your best, maybe beating a Team Elite or Evoshield.  In the last Jupiter tourney TE lost 2 or maybe 3 games.  Being in Florida, hoping it doesn't rain.  Batting against a Hankins or Rocker and busting a double on them. The experience and sharing that with your son.   

Not one of my boys went to a PG showcase... we did go to PG tourney's with their travel team.   Oh and my older son, he was on the OVC championship team last year , went to Florida State regional and his team beat FSU.  His summer/travel team was regional to Nashville.  My second son played on the same regional travel  team with Kyle Wright .. surely you have heard of him.  He did not play for the Canes or TE.  But he had the goods, the it factor , the talent.   The old saying is true, if you are good enough they will find you.

Last edited by bacdorslider