Skip to main content

Reply to "Where's PG?"

This has gotten ridiculous.  In most cases, nobody here has a kid playing college baseball (or professional) that hasn't had some help along the line.  If you did, you're a minority.  So PG puts on tourneys....and it's expensive to go there....but how "expensive" is "expensive"...and what percentage of your $$$$ that you spent over the years in travel ball did PG get?  

I know guys who have their kid go to a pitching coach year round....and a couple of those kids never started a meaningful game in HS....and didn't end up playing in college.  How "expensive" were those lessons....and they ended up being completely worthless.

I know a kid who went to exactly ONE PG event...had an ok event....not great....BUT was seen by a coach that would have never seen him if he had  played only here in Ohio.....got offered (his only offer) and ended up with a nice scholarship.   How much was that one trip to a PG event worth?  

My son went to the WWBA twice....once as a 14U player on a horrible team.  We didn't go there for exposure....heck, my son is the only kid from that team that ended up playing in college....but he was maybe 5' and weighed 100 pounds at the time.  He threw a complete game 3-hitter against one of the East Cobb teams....and still considers that game maybe his best pitching outing EVER.   We used the trip as a family vacation with 2 other families ont he team...."expensive"....nah, we would have taken a vacation anyway...and the kid still talks about that game....well worth the cost

He went again as a 17U player....had a nice outing and 2 days later got a call from the RC at the school he ended up at.   They saw him there....against good competition and liked him.  Offered and accepted within a week.   Guess what....the school is 45 minutes from our house....and up until that day at LakePoint, they had never seen him play....even  though by that point he had been gettng looks by some other D1's.   The coaches were at LakePoint because that's where coaches go....they can see 100's of kids in one place in a short amount of time.  Makes sense to me.    My son went to PG that year with the team....we couldn't make it.  We probably had $300 invested in the entire trip for him....and based on the team entry fee and how many kids were on the team.....a whopping $60-70 of that amount went to PG...the rest went to hotels, team fees, food, coaching staff etc....but PG is still "expensive"???  Not from our perspective....4 years of baseball money easily covered that $70 that Jerry's company took in.....with some to spare

It's all about perspective people....what is "expensive"....depends not on $$$ spent....but on what return you may or may not get for spending that $$$

Last edited by Buckeye 2015