Skip to main content

Reply to "Would I be wasting their time?"

GoldenGraham34 posted:

Recently, I've gotten interest from a school very much just out of the blue. It's from a good community college and one of their assistant coaches direct messaged me on twitter, saying that they really liked what they've seen and the head coach wanted to see me play, so they wanted me to come out and practice with them either tomorrow or the next day and give me a tour of the campus and just learn about the program.

The only problem is, I've always dismissed the idea of community college. And because of that, I don't want to waste the coaches time. But on the other hand, maybe I haven't really given it a shot. Maybe by being there I'll be able to learn more about the community college experience for myself and find that I'll actually like it. I know that one thing I've read a lot here is to keep the options open, but I just don't know. 

Any advice or wisdom?

Let the coaches worry about whether the workout is a waste of their time. 

They're the ones who extended the offer.

And they probably have a better understanding than you do of the probability of it leading to a commitment.

It's enough for you to know the workout isn't a waste of your time. It's probably the best chance you have to develop and show your skills this week. And you very well might learn something.

Accept the offer. Give it your all. Learn what you can from the other players and coaches. Listen to the coach's sales pitch, and decide if the opportunity deserves further consideration.

Best wishes,