Skip to main content

Reply to "Would I be wasting their time?"

JCG posted:

I don't want to get too far into it GG, as your question was about recruiting, not really about the value of attending a Juco, but please don't believe the suggestion above that Jucos are only for dummies and lazy people.  There are literally millions of people who have attended Jucos and gone on to graduate from great 4 year schools.  My wife is a UCLA grad, and I don't think anyone has ever cared or even asked about the fact that she transferred in from a Juco. 

As for baseball, there are many, many players who go from Juco to find success at D1 and/or pro ball.

Agree!

This is straight off a scholarship website:

There are approximately 512 junior college baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer up to (24) scholarships.  However, many programs are not fully funded by their athletic department and are only allowed to offer a reduced portion of the allotted 24 scholarships or no athletic scholarships at all.  The purpose of junior college baseball is to give players two years (occasionally one year) of athletic and academic development with the ultimate goal being to find a good fit with a four-year program after leaving the junior college.  There are some programs with very high-level talent that have a reputation of placing their players at very solid NCAA Division I and II programs.

Perhaps one of the BIG questions you should ask is what history they have of placing kids after their time is done there, and if they are especially friendly with any particular 4 year colleges.