Skip to main content

Reply to "Would I be wasting their time?"

Midlo Dad posted:

If you're hearing from a community college -- you mean a JuCo program? -- may I assume you're currently a HS senior?

My two cents:  If you're a senior and you're still on the market, you have to be candid with yourself about how hot a prospect you are.  To me, the top thing I hate to see is when someone drops a few rungs down the ladder academically just to play baseball for a few more years.  If the choice is between going to a higher academic school without baseball vs. dropping down a few academic levels just to play, I would say don't.

But if the community college is right for you academically, by all means go for it.

Or, if there is a financial angle that the CC helps you deal with, again, go for it.

The one thing you should expect is that once you're there on their campus, you may receive an offer.  So I would suggest you and your parents sort out your priorities before you go.  Ask yourself if you would accept an offer if given.  Or would that depend on how good the offer was?  Look, it may not come up, but then again it may, so ... be prepared to discuss such things.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but the Academic Part can be overcome.  My son is definitely not a JC Academic kind of kid, and honestly, we would have preferred that he didn't have to go that rout.  In the end it ended up sending him to Purdue, which is a great Academic School.  One other teammate signed Purdue, and another signed with Pepperdine.  So don't rule out a JC just based on the Academics.  In the end, you could still end up at a great school and earn a good degree.