Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Number 13 - Injury.

This becomes more important as the ladder is climbed.  An inopportune injury can be the end of a career even though there is 100% recovery (i.e. the guy that's not injured takes advantage of the opportunity).  At the youth level its unlikely that a backup player will have the same skills/talent of the starter so its easy for the injured player to slid back into his role once recovered.  This is not so true at the college and  pro level of play. 

You see this happen all the time in the minor leagues.

That was a very thoughtful list and definitely applies past youth ball and to any sport. At a JV level tournament this weekend, our Varsity coaches were helping out the team. None of the kids were hustling to their positions. On two different occasions, the coaches called the kids back off the field and made them sprint back out to their position. Finally, the Varsity coach pulled the 1st baseman from the game because he still wasn't hustling after several reminders.

I was reading through the comments posted to the author and so many parents get hung up on politics and want to blame that for their kid not playing. I loved one comment that basically said if you don't like the way the team is being coached, then step up and do it yourself. That is truth right there.

Thanks for sharing.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.