Skip to main content

I'm so proud to announce my son signed a Nat'l LOI to play baseball at an NAIA school in Texas and will be competing in the Sooner Athletic Conference.  Thanks to all of you for your words of advice and wisdom. 

He had two JC tryouts over his Christmas break but didn't make the roster.  It was crickets all spring and awkward at his HS graduation BBQ when everyone would ask about his next step.  His answer was "I'm playing college baseball, but don't know where yet".  Three days later, his life would change forever.  He began the summer college tryout circuit in Tx and made all of the rosters of schools he targeted.  What an experience.  In two weeks, he would have 5 NAIA and 2 DIII offers.  It was overwelming to say the least.  Interesting that two schools called and offered roster spots without a tryout.  Word travels fast I guess.

If anyone has a 2014 that needs advice (NAIA/DIII level), shoot me a PM. 

Thank you all!!!!!!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congratulations to you and your son!  I loved your sons's repsonse "I'm playing college baseball, but don't know where yet"!

Thanks for posting.  I know others will find this encouraging.

FWIW - from another part of the country, I received two tweets yesterday that 2013 RHPs were picked up by a JC in Maryland and D3 in Virginia.  Schools ARE still looking to fill rosters!

Update: 

Son started fall workouts in September and hit a wall on 1 Oct.  Morning workouts start at 5:30 AM and end around 7:30 AM.  Afternoon workouts begin at 2:30 PM and end sometimes as late as 7 PM (Mon-Sat).  Coach is tough and demands a lot.  The veterans on the team are tough on the fresh recruits as everyone wants to win.  Baseball, new school, and health issues broke my son down. 

However, after talking with him and giving that father motivation speech, he's back on the field and doing well.  Intra-squad scrimmages have concluded and the pace is slowing a little.  Soon, the cuts and "red shirt" labels will be made.  We'll see if he's earned a roster spot.      

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.