Skip to main content

I coach a 13 year old who was clocked at the end of his middle school season throwing 79mph twice. He was throwing 77 consistently. He is playing travel ball this summer. He is 6'2 and 180lbs. He is a young 13 year old. I was wondering where he is at with other 13 year old kids. I also worry about how hard he is throwing already. He is monitored very well and his arm is taken care of really well.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Elite:

I coach a 13 year old who was clocked at the end of his middle school season throwing 79mph twice. He was throwing 77 consistently. He is playing travel ball this summer. He is 6'2 and 180lbs. He is a young 13 year old. I was wondering where he is at with other 13 year old kids. I also worry about how hard he is throwing already. He is monitored very well and his arm is taken care of really well.

It doesn't matter how he compares with other thirteen year olds. Other thirteen years olds will be 6'2" in a few years. This kid is off to a good start with his size and velocity. He needs to keep improving, stay healthy and not worry how he compares to others. Some will catch him from behind in three years.

Originally Posted by Elite:

If he is monitored well and his arm is taken care of well, why are you worried?  I assume that monitoring includes limited pitch counts and limited innings over time.

As for your comparison question... as a 13 y.o., he throws hard, and as someone who is 6'2" 180 lbs, he does not.  So, as RJM states, he needs to be focused on continued improvement because it won't be long before his size no longer provides a huge advantage.  Others will close that gap.  He'll need to extend it in other ways.  Mechanics, movement, ability to locate, pitching know-how, fielding his position, holding runners, mental strength, conditioning, etc.

Fastest I've seen a 13U throw on the radar gun was 76 MPH by a So Cal kid at a recent Arizona tourney. At 54-foot mound distance, it was very impressive. Comments above are correct however, if he is throwing a tad faster (say 80MPH) in a few months at 60 foot distance, he will remain effective but hitters will benefit from the extra distance. Protect his arm and teach him how to pitch/field as mentioned above.

Originally Posted by WestCoastPapa:

Fastest I've seen a 13U throw on the radar gun was 76 MPH by a So Cal kid at a recent Arizona tourney. At 54-foot mound distance, it was very impressive. Comments above are correct however, if he is throwing a tad faster (say 80MPH) in a few months at 60 foot distance, he will remain effective but hitters will benefit from the extra distance. Protect his arm and teach him how to pitch/field as mentioned above.

I've clocked a few 13yo's in the high seventies and a couple in the 80-81 range. In fact, a couple of years ago, I personally clocked Emilio Vasquez of Grant baseball Academy/Team Phenom at 84 as a 12yo. He is on the older end of the age spectrum and, at last check, he hadn't grown. PG had him at 82mph last year as a 13yo. Albeit, he was already a freshman.

My son threw 74 at the 14U WWBA when we went...he has a late April birthday, so was 14 years and 3 months at the time.  There were several guys in the upper 70's at the event...and a few in the low 80's.  My son was 5'4 and 120 lbs at the time.  Fast forward to this year's WWBA....17U, 6' 155 lbs and is up to 87.  Take it however you want to I guess....upper 70's for a 13U kid is really good...but not many 13U kids are 6'2, 180.   For comparison, when my son was 12, we played a kid who was 5'7 and 160+....throwing right at 80.  That same kid just finished his first year at a JUCO...outfielder now...no pitching  5'9, 185 so there are no way to guess on how big or small a 13U kid will end up being....or what his 13U results will translate to

79 for a 13 yr old sounds elite.     My son just turned 12 a few months ago he is currently 5"6  125.  .   We have been working on getting ready for spring over the last month or so and just turned on the radar for the first time last night.   He hit high 60s a few times and on the last couple of throws threw 70 and 71.   

I'm 6"3 and my Brother and Father are both 6"5 so he projects to be pretty tall but we will just have to wait and see.   He has not that I can tell hit puberty yet either.    A few kids I know throwing in the 70s that are 13 and 14 are now shaving,  voice has changed etc.   

Last edited by therookie

I have a 2018 throwing 84-87.... ( in the barn) he is 6'2 160.... I would guess he would get more velo in the future....with good workout habits, sleep and nutrition, but you never know do you?   We are going to take it slow and not get too excited about it...Work on 3-4 pitches and being able to throw them for strikes on any count.  He has older brothers that pitch so he knows that there is more to it than just velo.  

2013 was watching him do squats the other day and told him his form was not good and corrected him... By doing the squat correctly, he had to drop his weight down, but brothers were quick to explain to him its far better to do the excerise correctly than to get hurt doing it incorrectly.

Last edited by bacdorslider

Years ago I was coaching a 14U travel team that finished the season 54-4 losing in the AABC finals.  The parent on the team were thrilled and wanted to take all of the coaches out for dinner.  One of the Mom's sat next to me.  Her son was 6'4" and 200lb with a five o'clock shadow throwing 84 mph.  She asked how many of the boys I thought would go on to play pro ball.  When I was young and stupid I fell into stupid conversations like this..."I don't see any with that talent level" I replied. I went on "I think we have 1 or 2 that may be able to play Division I in a decent program though and several who could find a place to play after high school if they wanted to pursue that". She asked who I though might play in college and I pointed to one of the kids sitting at the adjacent table.  "I think Jason may turn out to have that kind of talent." Now Jason was 5'6" tall, had developed pinpoint accuracy, a live arm with ball movement on almost every pitch and a change up that was excellent.  His fastball cracked 79 a few times in the tournament.  Jason's Dad was 6'6" and his mom was 6'0" He had size 14 puppy feet and not a hair on his chin...In that moment without intending to i crushed her dreams for her son.  

Long story short, do not worry about comparative analysis until boys are well into or through puberty. Try to develop athleticism, explosiveness, sound fundamental technique and baseball IQ.  When everything else has evened out this is what will define a players ceiling. P.S. Jason ended up 6'5" and threw 91 in Baton Rouge the summer before college, played 4 years of mid Division I baseball.  

Last edited by MDBallDad
Originally Posted by MDBallDad:

Years ago I was coaching a 14U travel team that finished the season 54-4 losing in the AABC finals.  The parent on the team were thrilled and wanted to take all of the coaches out for dinner.  One of the Mom's sat next to me.  Her son was 6'4" and 200lb with a five o'clock shadow throwing 84 mph.  She asked how many of the boys I thought would go on to play pro ball.  When I was young and stupid I fell into stupid conversations like this..."I don't see any with that talent level" I replied. I went on "I think we have 1 or 2 that may be able to play Division I in a decent program though and several who could find a place to play after high school if they wanted to pursue that". She asked who I though might play in college and I pointed to one of the kids sitting at the adjacent table.  "I think Jason may turn out to have that kind of talent." Now Jason was 5'6" tall, had developed pinpoint accuracy, a live arm with ball movement on almost every pitch and a change up that was excellent.  His fastball cracked 79 a few times in the tournament.  Jason's Dad was 6'6" and his mom was 6'0" He had size 14 puppy feet and not a hair on his chin...In that moment without intending to i crushed her dreams for her son.  

Long story short, do not worry about comparative analysis until boys are well into or through puberty. Try to develop athleticism, explosiveness, sound fundamental technique and baseball IQ.  When everything else has evened out this is what will define a players ceiling. P.S. Jason ended up 6'5" and threw 91 in Baton Rouge the summer before college, played 4 years of mid Division I baseball.  

I'm mainly just poking a little fun at ya, but you realize you just made the point not to worry about comparitive analysis at this age, but that your point was immediately following a story about how you succesfully did just that. 

Originally Posted by roothog66:
Originally Posted by MDBallDad:

I'm mainly just poking a little fun at ya, but you realize you just made the point not to worry about comparitive analysis at this age, but that your point was immediately following a story about how you succesfully did just that. 

LOL...That is totally correct...apparently my advice is only good for others I would never listen to me...!!!

Velocity is great but so much more to pitching.what pitches does he throw successfully? How is location, off speed pitches? You will find very good players at all ages that can get bat on FB. Location, location, location is so important. Who cares if kid is throwing heat if he throws too much where it can be hit. Being a P who is in control and can get ball where coach/catcher calls for it to be imo is most import.

playball,

I agree there is more to pitching than velo, but that is the first thing RC and scouts look for.  I have been on both sides of the debate.  2013 was a location guy , with great off speed and had to learn how to pitch early on because he did not have the velo.   He did not get much interest out of high school and went JUCO.   2014 had the velo and received more interest out of HS than 2013.  Fast forward to present and 2013 has matured and now has the velo and has signed with a very good mid level D1.  

There are many ways to get there but as much as a hate it, velo is the first thing they want. 

Originally Posted by playball2011:

Velocity is great but so much more to pitching.what pitches does he throw successfully? How is location, off speed pitches? You will find very good players at all ages that can get bat on FB. Location, location, location is so important. Who cares if kid is throwing heat if he throws too much where it can be hit. Being a P who is in control and can get ball where coach/catcher calls for it to be imo is most import.

Well, first you have to pinpoint what the goal is. If it's simply to win games at the level a pitcher is currently at, you are very right. if it's to move on to the next level, velocity is king.

While everything you mentioned makes a difference, none of that matters without the velocity. Recruiters will look completely over the Maddux-type kid at high school with 10-0 record and a 0.23 era who can locate his pitches with good stuff, but only throws 82mph. Not fair? No. But, that's the way it is. However the kid throwing 94mph with control problems who has a 6.60 era is gold to a recruiter.

Velocity gets you noticed (or not).  Coaches at the next level (college or pro) can work on control and other pitches.  They can only increase velocity a little.

Case in point - son had two HS teammates that were pitchers.  First one threw in the low-mid 90's (92-94 and occasionally 95-96.  Second one was basically a junk ball pitcher with good control - nasty curve with a FB that topped out in the low 80's.  Guess who the college coaches and pro scouts came to see?  Yep - the FB pitcher.  He eventually was drafted by the Rays (6th round) and after his 3rd year in the minors is now throwing 98 and has hit 100.  Still working on his off speed stuff though.

Back to the 13 year old - I agree that you don't compare to other 13 year olds.  Work on improving and staying healthy.  Not all 13 year olds are equal.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.