Skip to main content

Unfortunately my son’s HS team is the poster child for the type of the team that roothog66 and back foot slider are referring to.

They are currently ranked 73 out of 75 in Section, 3-18 overall, 0-7 in league (RF8, RA61).  However, after 21 games, our team AVG/OBP/SLG on Maxpreps is .504/.527/.631!

Coach has been doing the following: Enters only those player stats that had a hit or two in that particular game (those individual numbers are usually inflated also).  The remaining hitless players are not included in the report.  Next game may be a different group of player stats used, or none if we went hitless.  This results in super inflated stats for each player and team numbers that are ridiculous.  According to our Maxpreps stats we are the number one offensive Juggernaut in the nation, but we have the lowest run production of the 75 teams in our section.

7 of our day to day players have batting averages ranging from .444-.647!  Only one of these players has recently accumulated enough at bats (27) to be automatically included in the League list of top performers.  He currently “leads” the league in AVG and SLG, and is 2nd in OBP.  This player has played in every game, and actually has 60+ AB’s.  His real average is closer to .220.

I feel for the kids that are below him on the lists; I know some of them and they’re the real deal.  They deserve to get credit for their hard work and achievement.

Over the past few months this has been brought to the attention of the coaches, AD, and even the VP, but nothing has been done to correct the situation.  What I thought at first was being done out of ignorance, is actually intentional.  Not sure what to do about it at this point.   Suggestions?

Originally Posted by LH:

Unfortunately my son’s HS team is the poster child for the type of the team that roothog66 and back foot slider are referring to.

They are currently ranked 73 out of 75 in Section, 3-18 overall, 0-7 in league (RF8, RA61).  However, after 21 games, our team AVG/OBP/SLG on Maxpreps is .504/.527/.631!

Coach has been doing the following: Enters only those player stats that had a hit or two in that particular game (those individual numbers are usually inflated also).  The remaining hitless players are not included in the report.  Next game may be a different group of player stats used, or none if we went hitless.  This results in super inflated stats for each player and team numbers that are ridiculous.  According to our Maxpreps stats we are the number one offensive Juggernaut in the nation, but we have the lowest run production of the 75 teams in our section.

7 of our day to day players have batting averages ranging from .444-.647!  Only one of these players has recently accumulated enough at bats (27) to be automatically included in the League list of top performers.  He currently “leads” the league in AVG and SLG, and is 2nd in OBP.  This player has played in every game, and actually has 60+ AB’s.  His real average is closer to .220.

I feel for the kids that are below him on the lists; I know some of them and they’re the real deal.  They deserve to get credit for their hard work and achievement.

Over the past few months this has been brought to the attention of the coaches, AD, and even the VP, but nothing has been done to correct the situation.  What I thought at first was being done out of ignorance, is actually intentional.  Not sure what to do about it at this point.   Suggestions?

VP?????  Joe Biden knows about this?  This might be what gets gotwoodforsale back on here.  Sorry for the humor.

Your situation really sucks and I'm sorry you're son has to go through it.  Help him learn how to be a stronger person, better leader and tougher mentally from this situation.

As for the stats issue it's a crying shame that the coach is doing this and the AD (and even Joe Biden LOL) is not doing anything about it but at the end of the day nothing will come of it in terms of importance.  Anybody who knows sports, or has common sense, in higher levels will look at the record after seeing the numbers and realize they are bogus.  If for some reason they end up watching these kids play they will know then it's bogus but I doubt it will get that far.  The other players / coaches / media know this is not legit and not factor into anything in any type of post-season honors.

It's frustrating but it's truly nothing.

Haha, thanks for your comments, I meant assistant principle (oversees athletics), probably should have got crazy Joe involved instead, might have had better results.

Agree with all your points.  My son has been using this season as mental toughness prectice on the mound.  The pitchers on his team take the ball each game knowing they will face adversity.

I didn’t mention this before, but if there’s one thing that can make our anemic offense look acceptable, it’s our defense.  We have double digit error games (10 in one inning before).  It’s no accident that we lead the league in runs against by a 60 run margin. The vast majority of batters get on due to errors, and eventually score due to errors.

One of the positives from this season, stats wise, could have been our pitching, but coach doesn’t post those stats to Maxpreps.  My son and another kid (both playing college ball next year) are two of the top pitchers in the league.  Based on the stats I keep, they would both be listed in top five in strikeouts and ERA.

My main reason for getting involved was for the big picture stuff:

1.) Right vs. wrong, message sent to kids, future of the program, etc.

2.) Try to eliminate potential embarrassment to the players, program, school, community.

3.) Also, the kid with the made-up stats at the top of the league lists is a great kid; he’s young and has potential to get some college attention over the next couple years.   I’m concerned that these HS coaches may get him attention, but in a negative way.  You want to get on college coach’s radar but not in this way.  Don’t know his parents that well, so not sure if they are even aware of what’s going on.

Contrary to what we’re dealing with this season, it has been my experience that most coaches respect the integrity of the Maxpreps site and report accurately, albeit with a slight homer bias.  Those bias’s probably equal out over the course of the season.

If I do pursue this further, I may take your idea and get Joe involved.

LH,

Why don’t you offer to do the SKing and the stats too. In fact, volunteer to input the numbers into MP as well. It may well be that the coach is so pressed for time, he’s doing the best he can and needs some help, or it may be that he’s a flat out cheater. I’m guessing its more likely the former than the latter.

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

LH,

Why don’t you offer to do the SKing and the stats too. In fact, volunteer to input the numbers into MP as well. It may well be that the coach is so pressed for time, he’s doing the best he can and needs some help, or it may be that he’s a flat out cheater. I’m guessing its more likely the former than the latter.

I agree.  I know some coaches that will only input stats for guys that are recruitable guys.  There reasoning is because with so much else on their plate they do not have time to spend inputting all of the stats.

Thanks stats4gnats and iebsbl.  I caution you not to try to make sense of this situation with logic and reason.  You’re only asking for a migraine.  This coaching staff’s actions are unique and bizarre and cannot be explained by using common sense.

I don't want to relive the season, but I will say the team has three coaches; one is the dedicated stats guy in charge of updating Maxpreps.  They also have two dedicated stats people in the dugout during each game.  Time to update accurately was never the issue. 

Based on their entries after the first few preseason games, i assumed that they simply didn’t know how to keep score, so I made an offer to assist by doing the stats for them.  They rejected my offer and made it known that they were offended that I thought they needed help.    

Wrong stats are enter in Maxpreps. In the high school my son is playing, the stats are enter by a father that his son is playing as well. The father every time his son pitch and the other team score the runs are never earned. In one game the kid walk a batter and then he allowed a homerun and the stats says 2 run but not earned. Plus all the hits that he gives to his kids and they are incorrect. They are more to write.I wrote an email to maxpreps and I think they didnt allowed that father to enter another stat again. The coach knows about it and he said that no one looks at that stats. I don't look at them anymore because they maybe stop of entering wrong ones but the old stats are wrong anyways. 

Is Max Preps how your states track stats? In Iowa, the athletic association requires coaches to put games into Quik Stats. They're the official stats from the games (I often look at our own team and the opposition for news stories and they match up 99% of the time).

If coaches don't enter their stats in a timely manner it can impact who gets to host games during post season.

Here’s the thing about HS stats. They’re only as good or bad as the HC wants them to be. For ML games, every entry the SK makes, another scorer checks to be sure it was legally made before the data is entered into the database by the second SK. The people who do that and query the data are not parents of players in the game or coaches who have tons of other things they’re responsible for. They’re well-paid people who typically earn their living doing what they do.

In the almost 20 years I’ve scored HS ball, my pay has varied from a dog and a Coke to $5 a game, to what I get now which is nothing. I do it because I love it. Here’s a typical game for me. Because I live 15 mi from the closest field and 20 mi from our team’s home field, I have at least a half-hour trip both ways. The games run from 2-3 hours, so just doing the game is a 3-4 effort. When I get home, I go over every play on the scoresheet and make sure the data in scoring app matches what took place. That eats up a good hour. Then I write the team newsletter and print all the stats, then post them on my web site which takes another hour at least. Then I send the coaches the stats for the game.

Next I post the stats on MaxPreps. Even though that’s done electronically, I verify all the stats to make sure they’re correct and posted to the right player. You see, several players on our team have different uniform numbers for away jerseys, but MaxPreps only allows one number, and that’s how the stats are tied to the player. Then there are times when a player from the JV is called up or a player has to wear someone else’s jersey. So I have to make sure the stats match the player by making sure every entry is correct.

By the time I’m completely done, I have a solid 6-7 hours in, and that happens 27 times every season. Is all that necessary? It is if you want to have confidence that the statistics reflect what’s actually going on. Now for teams where the HC coach is trying to do what I do and what he’s responsible for, it may well be he’s putting in another 3-4 hours every game. Some coaches try to do everything, but many set priorities and the stats are on the low end of the priority list. I believe every coach would love to have accurate stats to work with, but simply won’t do what’s necessary to have it happen.

Pitcher2021 posted:

Wrong stats are enter in Maxpreps. In the high school my son is playing, the stats are enter by a father that his son is playing as well. The father every time his son pitch and the other team score the runs are never earned. In one game the kid walk a batter and then he allowed a homerun and the stats says 2 run but not earned. Plus all the hits that he gives to his kids and they are incorrect. They are more to write.I wrote an email to maxpreps and I think they didnt allowed that father to enter another stat again. The coach knows about it and he said that no one looks at that stats. I don't look at them anymore because they maybe stop of entering wrong ones but the old stats are wrong anyways. 

Who cares, what does it really matter. The father can enter all the erroneous info he wants. It might get the kid a look but that's all.

SomeBaseballDad posted:
Pitcher2021 posted:

Who cares, what does it really matter. The father can enter all the erroneous info he wants. It might get the kid a look but that's all.

That's true, but I can't believe and grown up person will do something like that. Is the action thats boder me so much. I coach for years and all i wanted is for all the kids to do better and succeed in life. 

Pitcher2021 posted:
SomeBaseballDad posted:
Pitcher2021 posted:

That's true, but I can't believe and grown up person will do something like that. Is the action thats boder me so much. I coach for years and all i wanted is for all the kids to do better and succeed in life. 

You can’t believe an adult would fudge stats for their kid? Are there unicorns and rainbows in your world? 

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.