Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It's pretty good, see here: http://www.efastball.com/hitti...-speed-by-age-group/

However, there are many factors that go into whether the measurement you have would equate to any type of success.  Ball exit speed is important, but exit angle is also important. The mechanics used to get to that speed and the ability to repeat them is also important as well.

Not to mention the ability to actually make contact with the ball when it isn't on the tee, which is probably the most important element of all.

yea I understand, he must be doing something right were getting ready to meet with a cross checkers to discuss his signability for the 2014 draft, he can hit a ball 420-425 with wood. he is 6'1 200 pounds.

It's pretty good, see here: http://www.efastball.com/hitti...-speed-by-age-group/

However, there are many factors that go into whether the measurement you have would equate to any type of success.  Ball exit speed is important, but exit angle is also important. The mechanics used to get to that speed and the ability to repeat them is also important as well.

Not to mention the ability to actually make contact with the ball when it isn't on the tee, which is probably the most important element of all.

It's really good, especially in a static tee test with wood.  You should really check the link NYdad2017 posted, it's a discussion that is active right now just a couple threads down.  There are plenty of links to current averages and high end measurements (all of which would show your brother to be an elite level hitter for this measurement).  I will say that the link that Rob T posted is from 2010, and may very well pre-date BBCOR bats, but I agree with everything else he says.  I think some of the other reported ranges from the other thread might be more up-to-date and accurate, though.

This morning somebody posted a link to an article quoting Gary Ward on how he uses the static tee exit speed in scouting/recruiting, which was really cool and a great addition to that thread.  In that article, Ward said:

"Hitters who are at the 84-87 range are just beginning to develop gap power with the new BBCOR bats. When they are 88-90, they are beginning to have line drive gap power. And when they get into the low 90s, they might have home run power. But they must square up the ball perfectly for that to happen.

"As they reach the 94-96 mph range, they now have home run power. They have the ability to lift some balls out of the park even though they might not have perfect contact.

"When they get to the 96-100 mph range, they can easily carry balls out of the ball park. They have legitimate home run power. Prior to the BBCOR bat, it wasn’t unusual to have a player or two who hit 105 mph balls off bats in the static ball test."

Originally Posted by EdgarFan:

It's really good, especially in a static tee test with wood.  You should really check the link NYdad2017 posted, it's a discussion that is active right now just a couple threads down.  There are plenty of links to current averages and high end measurements (all of which would show your brother to be an elite level hitter for this measurement).  I will say that the link that Rob T posted is from 2010, and may very well pre-date BBCOR bats, but I agree with everything else he says.  I think some of the other reported ranges from the other thread might be more up-to-date and accurate, though.

This morning somebody posted a link to an article quoting Gary Ward on how he uses the static tee exit speed in scouting/recruiting, which was really cool and a great addition to that thread.  In that article, Ward said:

"Hitters who are at the 84-87 range are just beginning to develop gap power with the new BBCOR bats. When they are 88-90, they are beginning to have line drive gap power. And when they get into the low 90s, they might have home run power. But they must square up the ball perfectly for that to happen.

"As they reach the 94-96 mph range, they now have home run power. They have the ability to lift some balls out of the park even though they might not have perfect contact.

"When they get to the 96-100 mph range, they can easily carry balls out of the ball park. They have legitimate home run power. Prior to the BBCOR bat, it wasn’t unusual to have a player or two who hit 105 mph balls off bats in the static ball test."

Resurrecting an old thread...Just curious if Gary Ward article a couple years ago referenced a BBCOR bat or wood bat in his static tee evaluation? I would assume 94 mph with wood would translate into 96-100 BBCOR. 

young 17 year old senior son has done several workouts (pro) and showcases the last two months.

had 93 & 95 wood bat mph at a couple

and

at one event used metal  - 95 mph.

Scouts said that was very good.

Unsure what type of radar was used.

at one of the above events (a large pro invite day) a top player had 100 mph, which was really something.

Not many players above 90 mph at most of these.

Last edited by Catcherdad
Originally Posted by Catcherdad:

young 17 year old senior son has done several workouts (pro) and showcases the last two months.

had 93 & 95 wood bat mph at a couple

and

at one event used metal  - 95 mph.

Scouts said that was very good.

Unsure what type of radar was used.

at one of the above events (a large pro invite day) a top player had 100 mph, which was really something.

Not many players above 90 mph at most of these.

That's great!  I'm surprised the metal bat was the same as the wood.  I've read it adds ~7MPH to the exit speed.  Lots of additional factors I'm sure.

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

All the exit speed in the world won't matter if you can't hit for average.   .

It will matter to the extent that you are looking to go to the next level.  A high average in high school won't translate into a high average in college if you're not driving the ball hard.  Someone quoted a coach/scout as saying that exit speed doesn't tell you who can hit, it tells you who cannot hit. 

Thanks,  I think you're right, some factors in velo: these were two different events.

Someone mentioned different balls previously, might have been another thread, that would affect results. 

Also one place was ice cold even inside (Northeast, heat wasn't working well at all),

while the prior place (where players used wood) was nice and warm so all players were looser).

Different radar guns/devices might read differently too.

I imagine others on here can think of more factors that affect results.

The 2015 player who reached 100 mph did it with wood I believe, that kid was really outstanding.  Will look forward to seeing that player again.

Hopefully will continue to translate to the field/games, have to keep getting better,.

(if they ever get out on the fields up here and maybe even see some 40+ degree weather)

Last edited by Catcherdad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.