Skip to main content

This just in from the Texas High School Coaches Association web site for 2009 (Preseason Polls).

5A:
1. COPPELL
2. HOUSTON BELLAIRE
3. FLOWER MOUND
4. SOUTH LAKE CARROLL
5. KLEIN
6. LAREDO UNITED
7. PLANO WEST
8. SAN ANTONIO REAGAN
9. SPRING BRANCH MEMORIAL
10. KATY

4A:
1. CORPUS CHRISTI CALALLEN
2. NORTH RICHLAND HILLS BIRDVILLE
3. FRIENDSWOOD
4. LAMAR CONSOLIDATED
5. WAXAHACHIE
6. WACO MIDWAY
7. AUSTIN LAKE TRAVIS
8. CORPUS CHRISTI MOODY
9. HIGHLAND PARK
10. BRENHAM

3A:
1. CUERO
2. TAYLOR
3. GIDDINGS
4. ROBSTOWN
5. PITTSBURG
6. BRIDGE CITY
7. BULLARD
8. PLEASANT GROVE
9. BELLVILLE
10. ANDREWS

2A:
1. BUNA
2. SAN ANGELO GRAPE CREEK
3. HALLETTSVILLE
4. RIVIERA KAUFER
5. ROGERS
6. WHITE OAK
7. HOLLIDAY
8. PALMER
9. GRANDVIEW
10. ROSEBUD LOTT

1A:
1. BOSQUEVILLE
2. FLATONIA
3. MAUD
4. FOLLETT
5. MALAKOFF CROSS ROADS
6. ARCHER CITY
7. GRANGER
8. SEYMOUR
9. NEW DEAL
10. WEST SABINE

http://www.thsbca.com/thsbca
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Klein, what's their fidstrict like, challanges tc...?

The same for United, Reagan, Memorial and Kay?

The following information was posted about Reagan earlier this month on the Texas forum:

"San Antonio Reagan should be a shoe-in for the District 26-5A championship. (Last year it went 16-0 in district play and was a regional finalist.) It has returning starters at 1B, 2B, SS, and 2 of 3 OF positions. Its pitching staff includes Matt Harrell, a fall transfer from San Antonio MacArthur who has signed with D1 Northwestern State in LA, and 6'4", 208-lb. Carter Hahn, who scored a "9" at a PG showcase and is expected to sign with a D1 this year. The only glaring gap is catcher. For the first time in many years, Reagan has no catcher with varsity experience."
quote:
Originally posted by JunkBall2:
CowboyFan... Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Surviving Region 1 playoffs is going to be extremely tough.

I don't play'em I just watch and enjoy so I'm not afraid of much when it comes to this season. I'm just looking forward to lots of enjoyment.

As for the Cowboys themselves, last night was the First Pitch Dinner and the team has the best chemistry of any team I have seen lately, they know the pressure is on but they embrace it and look forward to it but with a humbleness that offers Glory to God just for the blessings they have in family, team and talent. So they aren't afraid of much...just a respectful of the year and the environment they are in.
quote:
Originally posted by JunkBall2:
CowboyFan... Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Surviving Region 1 playoffs is going to be extremely tough.

Those 4 Houston teams are excellent with rosters stacked with top talent from the area. Region 2 and 3 will will produce top notch teams for the State Finals.

I agree the Houston teams will be tough. The Region I quarter-final and finals will be fantastic.
It'll be interesting to see how #1-ranked Calallen (4A) does this season since it lost 12 seniors last year, including RHP Logan Verrett who's now at Baylor. The team does still have Jordan John, a pitcher who has committed to OU, as well as LHP Adam Hoelscher who has committed to A&M-Corpus Christi (and whose brother pitches for TCU). As a perennial powerhouse guided by a very talented coach (Steve Chapman), it may be able to simply reload and do just fine.
Last edited by Infield08
Gotta go with what you said "go pirates" about Texarkana with Slade and Josh; they have great stuff and in rotation togther.....

Not certain about the bullpen at Klein after Purke but geez, that's about as tough as it gets in high school pitching with him on the hill.....

Brenham should probably be a little higher up on the 4A list than they are.....

Watched a few scrimmages this season already and man, oh man, seen a higher percentage of breaking pitches for early in the season than is probably best...take it easy guys and take care of your arms...
Someone asked about Katy......

Very deep Pitching staff anchored by Keifer Nuncio. He looks very good early. 30+ scouts watching him last night. Was 88-92 1st outing and 88-91 last night according to scouts. Cudd, Locust, Stumph and Herr make up a very nasty staff.

Offense looks good early.and Defense should be fine.

Big question with this group is chemistry. But from what I have seen early, they seem to be coming together as just fine. Having 4 kids from the State Champion FB team helps. Their attitude is contagious.

Houston area is loaded.....but with a little luck this group could make a deep run.
CowboyFan- unfort. the only way you can go is down, when you start at the top.

Good thing is, in Texas, is to just get to playoffs and then at that time, have core of team healthy to make a good run...

and then when you run into a team that has same quality of players on their team as you do - hope luck falls your way when you need it to.

A lot of luck goes in to winning a state championship in Texas, as there are usually about 5-8 teams that are "top teams" every year at every classification...
Agree 100%......In baseball, unlike FB, there is a little luck involved.

Katy had a lot of it the year we went to the Finals.

Probably should have lost to Cy Fair in the Reg finals....but a few things went our way.

The starngest was in the 5th inn of the decideing game. We had runer on 1st and 2nd w/ 2 outs down 5-1. Slow kid hits a LD to SS who has it for a split second and then just drops it. He still has plenty of time to throw the Batter out at 1st......but the firstbaseman had run to the dugout thinking the SS had caught it. Next batter hits a slow roller to the CF'er, who lets it go thru his legs and we score 3 runs. End up winning by 1 run.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.