Skip to main content

I was going to mention something about Joyce and his arm, but wasn't sure if it was part of a plan by Exeter either.  He certainly didn't seem to be overpowering and then I saw him tugging on the elbow sleeve when he got moved to SS. His FB was quite hittable on Sat, but he got quite a few looking or swinging at air on what I assume was a slider.

Merri would appear to have Wojciak lined up to go vs Winni; however, they also play BG on Thu and they do take great joy in beating BG, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold him for that.  I'm sure Mike knows more about the order though...

Seacoast,

What do you have on Gareau, aside from the complete game @ Spaulding?  Right-hander?  Yes, it should be Wojciak for Merrimack, JohnF.  

Joyce is an excellent shortstop, played well in that position Friday at MHS.  

When Seacoast mentioned Winni and runs scored, I started looking at the NHIA website .....Keene 2-5 is the leader in Runs Per Game with approx. 6.3. They put up a couple of big numbers in their two wins.  Following them is 3-4 Alvirne and 4-3 Bedford @ 5.7 RPG.  The next group 4-4 Salem and 5-4 Trinity score about 5.5 RPG.  And then comes a big group at approx. 5 RPG, 6-3 BG, 5-2 Merrimack, 6-2 Spaulding, 5-1 North, 5-3 Londonderry, and 2-4 Winni.  

So then I had to look at the D side.  #1 Londonderry 21 runs in 8 games! Just behind them is 6-1 Concord with 19 in 7 games.  North, Merrimack, and 5-3 Exeter are all about 3 RPG. At this point in the season, I'm not sure what this proves except pitching and defense must be pretty important.  The five teams with the stingiest D, RPGA, are a combined 26-10.   The 3 teams with the highest #s in RPGA are 5-16.

Now this doesn't take into account Earned Runs, but I'm not sure I have that long of a lunch break.

LOL ... good one Mike.  When I created this account, I was a huge Jon Lester fan and went around saying that Jon and Pettite were "Nasty Lefties."  I asked about coaches because there seem to be some pretty articulate responses on here from some obviously experienced people who are watching a lot of these games. I know there are a few on here.

Mike- Gareau is a 3 year starter at second/shortstop for Winni and is their number 2 in the rotation behind MacHardy.  He is a righty and if he is throwing strikes can be effective like he was vs. Spaulding.  Well known on the seacoast- He was a starter on state champion football team and on the boys hoop team and played on Portsmouth Legion team, so very athletic. I heard he might be going to Keene for baseball?

Brown for Alvirne threw a Gem vs South yesterday. A 3 hitter, 4-1 win. 

Wondering if North's issue was it was kind of a "Trap" game for them (Beating Concord Friday, Rivalry game South in front of them....) Whatever the case, they went through 7 or 8 pitchers. Heard one of the parents said no one on the team was focused (probably an understatement given the score....) McCarthy and Robert are fresh for the south game. Gouviea, & Penkala for South. At this point both teams need this game.  

I wasn't at the game and don't know what the strategy was at the plate for Londonderry later in the 4th but if I'm coaching my kids are going up there batting lefty or simply hitting into an out to end that inning after the lead ballooned.  Just can't see scoring 23 runs in one inning that is going to end in the mercy rule with 3 more outs.  the 8 slot in the order was 1 for 4 in that inning alone, ridiculous.

From what I understand, Londonderry did empty their bench, and they did everything they could do to minimize the scoring as far as baserunning was concerned.  However, the kids at the plate were up there to hit, and frankly I don't blame them.  I would never tell a kid to tank an at-bat.  These kids have so many chances to prove their worth to their coach in what is already a short season.  Especially kids who don't often get those at-bats.  Also, I believe it would be twice as demoralizing for North knowing the other team is out there trying to fail just to end an inning.  So IMHO Londonderry handled this is as well as they could have.  My only question is why bring back your ace after sitting for so long with a 30+ run lead?

What are the odds that you bat 4 times in one inning *and* make all 3 outs?  Think about what kind of a statistical anomaly that is. While the player probably doesn't want that distinction for obvious reasons, it is I'd say fairly historical.

I know Ironwill reads/responds here so let's not get too crazy speculating...  As far as I know him he's not like the coaches you read about that are trying to run up the score or rubbing it into some opponent.  Walks, errors, hbp, seem to be how many runners moved in the inning.

As for pitching - do you throw someone you think can get the game over with as quickly as possible or someone else who may prolong the agony.  As it was North scored 4 times in the 5th (there's a picture of a 33-3 score after 4).  So they didn't just "give up".  Baseball is a strange game, you never know what that will happen to you....  It's a snowball effect.

I would want my kids to compete every at bat... to a point.  And that point is reached well before you score 26 runs in one inning and there are multiple pitching changes and the outcome is never in doubt.  Seniors at the top of the order don't need to impress a coach with an at bat against a pitcher who cant' throw a strike against a team that is having a really bad day.  Much like coaching at Cooperstown in 12 year old games against some very strong southern teams, you take your beating and the other team takes its foot off the gas to spare you.  That's my philosophy, to each his own.

JohnF - I agree.  My understanding was that they held guys to one base on every ball in play.  I also heard that Jake Welch hit a grand slam that the umps thought bounced over the fence when it easily cleared it.  Nobody argued.  Not because they weren't certain it was gone, but because it would have been silly for them to argue with a 20 run lead. 

I don't think it was as important getting the game over as it was getting that inning over.  Once North came to bat in the top of that inning, there's no reason Londonderry couldn't have shut Moloney down, and brought in the last guy on their pitching staff. It saves your ace, who must have been tight, it gives your new pitcher some work, and it gives North a chance for some respectability.  I know they were still able to do this against Moloney, but you have to assume the lengthy delay had much to do with this. It seems like a small deal, but sometimes these pitchers get abused at this level and I don't understand why.  In this case, I see three great reasons to get him out of that game and no good reason to keep him in.

JohnF, I agree, I would have done the same. No sense in running the starter back out there. It could simply be a brain fart (we all get them coaching) and getting lost in all those runs and trying to manage it as classy as you can once it goes over 10 or 15. But I have to tell you...I'm still fixated on a batter making all three outs in an inning. If I coach 20 more years, I don't think I will ever see or hear of that again...(especially 1 for 4).

The fine line with the dilemma of "how to get your offense out of a 28 batter inning" is tricky.  Wow, I'd rather not be involved in that type of situation, but if I had a team caught in that predicament, I probably wouldn't have my guys make outs on purpose.  

The team struggling in the field is embarrassed, so what ever the offense does, it can not be considered condescending or further embarrass the offense. The difficulty is how do you make outs on purpose without creating a joke?  Perhaps a talented hitter could foul off a couple of pitches and then take strike three.  I'm OK with that, but If I go up to bat and swing at three balls over my head, that's not good.  If I hit a grounder to short and don't run....I recall a scene in the film Eight Men Out, where one of the Black Sox makes it painfully obvious he is trying to throw the game after hitting a grounder that is bobbled and then bobbled again.  Having a decent size bench would be the best option.  If the substitutes are getting hits, than you go one-base at a time.  It's a difficult situation to be in.  

In basketball it may be a little easier. Go to the end of the bench, run your offense, don't fast break, don't shoot 3's, play a zone....sounds easy but i've seen teams leaking-out and dunking with their starters up 25 with 3-minutes left.  

It's a situation I would prefer not to be in.  In either case, a team, who is up by that many runs, can not make a joke of the situation, I wasn't there, but I highly doubt that Londonderry did. I believe that making outs intentionally can be even more humiliating for the losing team.

Only a few match-ups in D1 tomorrow.  

Londonderry 6-3 @ Alvirne 4-4. Great match-up.  The Lancers have won 4 straight. Their 3 losses--all one run contests.  Concord, Spaulding, and BG.  Londonderry appears to be a top contender in D1.  Alvirne is an interesting club.  In their 4 wins they are a +28 in runs scored; 4 losses they are -14.  The Broncos are a perfect 3-0 @ home. They appear to be a dangerous club.

Pinkerton 3-6 @ Keene 3-5.  In 5 of their 6 losses Pinkerton has held opponents to 4 runs or less for a total of 16 runs, but scored only 8 in those contests.  In their 3 wins they've scored 23 runs.  In Keene's 3 wins, they have scored 32 runs, while giving up only 9.  Everything points to a 3-2 game.  Or a 10-8 one.  A big game in the standings. 

Bedford 5-3 @ Winny 2-5.  Bedford the hottest team in D1 are winners of 5 out of 6.  I have seen them a few times. They can hit, have balance top to bottom, a stud in the middle (LaLonde), and have scored 39 runs in their 5 wins.  Winny has lost 3 straight, but should have their #1 Connor McHardy. I believe. I have not seen him throw but I hear the junior lefty is pretty good. 

Last edited by mike gasper

Great post Mike!  I have to agree with you about Alvirne.  They certainly are a wildcard.  They've beaten solid teams and they've lost to weak teams. You never know which team is going to show up.  It seems like Pinkerton has the goods.  They just need to learn how to win.  This is what makes them dangerous.  If they string together a few wins in the 2nd half of the season, look out for them.  Bedford is the hottest team right now, no question.  You have to be impressed with 39 runs in 5 wins. Although I'm guessing Londonderry might be asking.. "Wow, it took them FIVE games to score 39 runs?  Why so many?

I know I sound like a broken record, but if anyone ever knows pitching matchups I always love to know.  Thanks.

Last edited by rogerw
Originally Posted by rogerw:

Great post Mike!  I have to agree with you about Alvirne.  They certainly are a wildcard.  They've beaten solid teams and they've lost to weak teams. You never know which team is going to show up.  It seems like Pinkerton has the goods.  They just need to learn how to win.  This is what makes them dangerous.  If they string together a few wins in the 2nd half of the season, look out for them.  Bedford is the hottest team right now, no question.  You have to be impressed with 39 runs in 5 wins. Although I'm guessing Londonderry might be asking.. "Wow, it took them FIVE games to score 39 runs?  Why so many?

I know I sound like a broken record, but if anyone ever knows pitching matchups I always love to know.  Thanks.

As far as Pinkerton goes I agree. I've seen two games this year & they should have won both of them. If they start to hit & can figure out how to field a ground ball they could be the surprise team this year. They have the pitching depth, Ive seen two different starters & two releivers & they were all good!!

No contest last night (North 10-0). Too much Mike Robert (10 plus K's), too many errors, and a total lack of desire on South's part. South managed only an infield single. Robert came in with a history of being strong for only 3 innings, and he was...overpowering for 3, better than average in the 4th, and well, in the 5th it really didn't matter (But the velocity was noticeably down, location up). Just to give you an idea of how the game went for south, a batter struck out, and then scored on the same continuation of the play. (E2, E9). Ugly. Fittingly Robert ended the game with a sac fly.

Not many games yesterday, but the Winni vs. Bedford game was pretty good.  A much needed win for Warriors 7-5.  Some costly errors kept Bedford in the game, but MacHardy only allowed 5 hits (including a long HR) and a walk to limit the damage.  Lalonde was 1-4 with 2 k's.  Back and forth affair with 3 runs in the bottom of the 6th being the difference.  Winni has Exeter (Joyce) and Concord on deck, doesn't get any easier.

Crazy happenings all season in Div 1.  It's very hard to see who the front runners are to win this thing but it's not to early to size some of these teams up to see who has the best chance at a championship run.  I don't know all the teams so I'm hoping to get some help. 

To go deep in the playoffs it seems like the teams with a strong 1-2 and at least a very good 3, PLUS an offense that can score against ANY pitcher will have the best chance.  The team that comes to mind the best is Nashua North.  They have Robert and McCarthy and the number three guy (help please) who I believe is more than capable.  They also seem to have the offense that can score against anyone.  (seven runs against Moloney for example--albiet strange circumstances not withstanding)

Londonderry is another team that might fall into this category.  They have Moloney and Corey and their number three guy (help please) has done very well also.  Their offense has sputtered a bit when they've faced good pitching though.

Hoping for opinions on Concord, BG, Merrimack, Spaulding etc.  I just don't know about their overall pitching depth and offense against top pitching.

Also.  Did Pinkerton play Keene yesterday?  I can't find that score.  Thanks

Anyone get a score on the Pinkerton @ Keene ballgame last night?

Errors are a part of the game. Certainly part of the HS game.  You try to avoid them by working on the D, taking multiple ground balls,etc. You hope they don't cost you, but in HS baseball it seems that many times you can't hide. Most every game that I have seen this season, an error has led to a run(s).  Little things often cost teams at this level.  Base running errors, that may be considered "mental" and physical errors. both have a way of turning victories into losses.  

Hopefully, teams like Pinkerton, whom Mr. Rvaughn says he has seen "two games this year & they should have won both of them. If they start to hit & can figure out how to field a ground ball they could be the surprise team this year,"  will turn things around.  They begin May with 4 straight on the road vs. Keene, Londonderry, Bedford, and North.  Then come home on the 10th and host BG. Interesting stretch.

Ok, so I took a few seconds and I looked at yesterday's errors.  According to the UL, Bedford committed 4 errors, Winny 2.  Bedford lost.  South committed 4, North 0.....South Lost.  Salem 7, No. Andover 2.  Salem lost.  Alvirne committed 1, Londonderry 0.  Alvirne lost.  

I have seen a lot of teams play once, so am not that educated to comment on most and will leave it to the local "experts", but will comment on a seacoast team that intrigues me who I have seen several times: Winnacunnet.  I'll pause for the laughter....

For a team that returned only 3 varsity players (only 1 senior) and has a mix of sophomore and juniors getting their first playing experience, I am not sure I would want to draw them in the tourney when they get another 10 games to adjust.  They have been in about every game, and their achilles heel is defense.  If they can improve that, watch out. If not, one and done.  Top of their order is very dangerous, the bottom half seems to be progressing and contributing a little more each day.

- Ace MacHardy is quietly in the elite category in the state.  Big Lefty can keep them in any game, defense needs to step it up and make the routine plays.  Averages 1.5 K's per inning and stingy on the walks

- #2 pitcher Gareau is a 2-time all-state that starts at short.  If the guy who threw strikes vs. Spaulding shows up they are in good shape; if the guy who hit 3 batters and walked 8 vs. Merrimack shows up, they are in trouble.

- all-state catcher Hause is having an incredible season gunning down baserunners.  the scouting report on him should read "don't try it".  Great lefthanded bat for power.  Lalonde and the North kid (Fortin?) get a lot of press, but Hause is all that so far this year behind the plate.

-Winni has faced the ace in almost every game so far and fared pretty well.  McCarthy from North (6 runs), Damphouse from Timberlane (should have won that game 5-3), Wojciak from Merrimack shut them down, beat Dolan from Salem, beat Spaulding's ace (can't remember his name) who they dominated, not sure who they faced in losses to BG (Lunn?) and South.  They don't seem capable of scoring more than 5-6 runs against better pitching, so their pitching and defense needs to deliver.

In a season that has shown incredible unpredictability, there are the usual suspects at the top that will be serious contenders.  The tendency will be to take them lightly, but there are also some potent middle/bottom of the pack teams that can be bracket killers come tourney time.  Exeter is another seacoast team that can have a lot to say about who the next champion is, and I hope to catch their game tomorrow.  Should be fun to see how it plays out.

Londonderry #3 is DelSignore

North #3 is Smith (he started vs. Londonderry)

Keene 6 Pinkerton 4 according to GSBA

Williams pitched for BG against Winni - they only got 5 off him - 3 earned.

The key this year - get out of the first round of the playoffs!!!   Hopefully your pitcher can stop the other teams offense.

I agree with XSAM on Hause - very impressive.  As was Gasper last night with his pop and laser to 2b.

Last night BG's Morais was virtually untouchable - 1 bloop hit that fell beyond 3B-man and SS reach was all he gave up.  I don't think a Merrimack runner got past 2B in the 7 very efficient innings and a 3-0 win in about 75 minutes.  All 3 BG runs were unearned so it continues the discussion of the importance of defense this year especially when pitchers seem to still be ahead of hitters.

Add Reply

SPECIAL JUNE OFFER for HSBaseballWeb customers: Free batting gloves with every purchase!

Link copied to your clipboard.