Skip to main content

Background:  2015 has mild interest from a mid-level D1 university, but nothing like “I really want you on my team”.  He has attended a PG showcase and earned an average rating and a “follow”.  He wants to attend “Major U (i.e. FSU)” for the Big University experience, but will never see a “Major U” baseball field unless he’s sitting in the stands.  Given the above, he has ruled out seeking opportunities at smaller schools.

My question:  What are the chances a non-Major U school will come out of the blue and express interest?  I’m only inquiring because he’s a 16 and 16-year old kids sometimes come to the realization that they may want to continue playing baseball beyond high school.

Sage experience and advice is always appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Nole44:
My question:  What are the chances a non-Major U school will come out of the blue and express interest?

I think that depends on where he plays this summer/fall, and for who. If he isn't playing in front of schools who are looking for his level of talent, and he isn't promoting himself, I would say the chances of more schools expressing an interest are slim.

If he pitches at a PG event this summer and throws 90, the odds increase exponentially.

Here in OH the miserable weather is keeping some D1's from getting out and seeing HS kids...as their schedules are continually getting shuffled.  Yesterday my 2015 son was told by a D1 coach who had hoped to see him this spring that "this weather has been so bad, we're still working on finishing up our 2014's...but we'll make sure we see you this summer"

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:
My question:  What are the chances a non-Major U school will come out of the blue and express interest?

I think that depends on where he plays this summer/fall, and for who. If he isn't playing in front of schools who are looking for his level of talent, and he isn't promoting himself, I would say the chances of more schools expressing an interest are slim.

If he pitches at a PG event this summer and throws 90, the odds increase exponentially.

He may throw 90 if they combine the velocity of two pitches.

I agree his chances are slim; however, have seen some kids sign with schools I've never heard of.  Just asking if anybody has been in the same position.

To answer your question, What are the chances? I would say slim at this point. Not impossible but slim.

He might want to reconsider his target. My kid's would pick 3 dream schools that they would love to play at. And then we would have them take a good look at their self and write down 3 schools that you think you have a reasonable chance of getting on the field one day. And now this list becomes the new objective.

I agree his chances are slim; however, have seen some kids sign with schools I've never heard of.  Just asking if anybody has been in the same position.

That could definitely happen if he's playing somewhere like the WWBA National Championships, and he plays well. What are his summer plans?

One of my son's teammates was recruited at a WWBA by a mid DI HC who was only there to see his friend's kid play. The game was at a high school in the middle of nowhere. This kid (RHP) was a bit of a late bloomer, but this coach saw immediately that he was a gamer.

Background:  2015 has mild interest from a mid-level D1 university, but nothing like “I really want you on my team”.  He has attended a PG showcase and earned an average rating and a “follow”.  He wants to attend “Major U (i.e. FSU)” for the Big University experience, but will never see a “Major U” baseball field unless he’s sitting in the stands.  Given the above, he has ruled out seeking opportunities at smaller schools.

My question:  What are the chances a non-Major U school will come out of the blue and express interest?  I’m only inquiring because he’s a 16 and 16-year old kids sometimes come to the realization that they may want to continue playing baseball beyond high school.

Sage experience and advice is always appreciated.

Hi Nole,

Part of me wants to ask more questions about his skill set, school major/career path and more detail about his recruiting efforts to date.  But several of your comments seem to imply that he is not currently fully intent on playing college baseball.  I think, for a "low profile" recruit who has ruled out small schools and isn't sure if he wants to play beyond HS, it will be extremely difficult for him to latch on with someone.  It is a very difficult path and the desire and commitment must be there.

In the event that I am misreading your description or if you are the type to downplay your player, he may consider trying to make his way onto a JC that is near a major U.  This can allow him to experience some of the "big school" events while still playing ball, developing, and figuring out if he wants to continue playing.  Still not easy and still requires commitment and desire to play.

I do not agree that it is "slim to none."  Good showing at key showcases can generate lots of interest.  It just involves his skill set.  You have to compare his size, speed, arm strength and hitting abilities with his peers.  If he stacks up he will get interest.  I saw a couple of kids blossom the Summer after junior year that received significant interest from schools and were later drafted.  If he does not then he has to choose.  As you said, kids have a way of changing their minds. 

I don’t mean to downplay his abilities.  He’s a good player and a great student.  As a great student, he wants the advantages and experiences at a big University.  He and I know, based on his demonstrated (and documented via PG) abilities, that the big schools in the southeast, specifically Florida, are not going to request his services.

I’m trying to determine the likelihood that a smaller school (i.e Rollins, Stetson, etc...) may give him a look without any communication from him.

Given the responses, my answer seems to be…not likely.

I don’t mean to downplay his abilities.  He’s a good player and a great student.  As a great student, he wants the advantages and experiences at a big University.  He and I know, based on his demonstrated (and documented via PG) abilities, that the big schools in the southeast, specifically Florida, are not going to request his services.

I’m trying to determine the likelihood that a smaller school (i.e Rollins, Stetson, etc...) may give him a look without any communication from him.

Given the responses, my answer seems to be…not likely.

If he has any interest at all in playing for a smaller school then contact them....even if it's just an email with an attached video.  That's how we started with my son and it's been enough that he's got D1's trying to get here to see him play.  It doesn't take long and you'll get a pretty good feeling for where he stands.

Hello,

I am reading and understanding that this is the summer for the 2015's.

between the Jr. and senior year to seen by schools for the process to start.

My son wrote to one D1 school down south and they said we are getting ready for our 2015 process and if you really want to be seen by us come down come to our camp.

Is this a good way to get in front of a school to get recuited for a 2015.

Here in my area  a lot of kids dont sign until the senior year..

Thanks,

Joe

Update - Passed on your comments.  2015 has come to the realization that he wants to continue his baseball career.

I appreciate your comments and advice.  See you back in Ft Myers.

Awesome!  Make sure he contacts those schools he is interested in and generates some dialog beyond just getting on the camp invite list.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.