Skip to main content

A lot of what goes into those rankings is the services' knowledge of who is coming back for those teams.

Hanover lost key players to graduation last year, but to me they are still loaded, it's just that the guys who fill out that team may not be big names ... YET.  I don't know what's in the water up there, but they have pitching coming out of their ears yet again. 

I'm less familiar with Millbrook but as I recall they went to the 4A championship game riding a then-freshman and a then-sophomore (?) as their two main arms.  Seems like if those guys return and stay healthy, that would bode well.

Originally Posted by Midlo Dad:

A lot of what goes into those rankings is the services' knowledge of who is coming back for those teams.

Hanover lost key players to graduation last year, but to me they are still loaded, it's just that the guys who fill out that team may not be big names ... YET.  I don't know what's in the water up there, but they have pitching coming out of their ears yet again. 

I'm less familiar with Millbrook but as I recall they went to the 4A championship game riding a then-freshman and a then-sophomore (?) as their two main arms.  Seems like if those guys return and stay healthy, that would bode well.

Agreed!  I'm confident that you can probably add another 8-10 programs to that discussion as well!

Having spoken with various folks immediately after last season, then again this summer, I came under the impression that the then sophomore classes at a number of schools were large and talented.  I've been curious to see whether or not the talent pool for 2016 was as deep and widespread as people were suggesting.  Early indications are "probably so"!

Some programs may have a more shallow pool of elite names, while others may have a larger and deeper pool of "next tier" talent.

Midlo, considering your position, have you noticed a larger than average 2016 group?  Not necessarily more elite, but just a larger quantity of good players?

Last edited by GoHeels

I feel like the Richmond area's current junior class (2016 guys) is pretty loaded.  But comparisons from one class to the next are so subjective and so limited by who you get to see and who you never see that I don't hazard to say which class is stronger overall.  And then you have to factor in the surprise factor, the kid(s) who comes out of nowhere to have a standout year.  For me it's just fun to have an excuse to give my wife as to why I need to see so many games in person! 

I do think our area is stronger in prospects than it is often given credit for.

NOVA Baseball Magazine has released their Preseason Poll: http://www.novabaseballmagazin...3de90cf2f9ae3fec15dd. The panel consists of members of the media and local coaches: 

1. Madison
  2. Battlefield
  3. PVI
  4. West Springfield
  5. Lake Braddock
  6. Stone Bridge
  7. Patriot
  8. Oakton
  9. Chantilly
  10. Centreville.

Madison is preseason ranked #27 by Baseball America in their Top 50, the only VA school ranked. Battlefield is ranked #47 by PG, joining Hickory (#34) as the only ranked VA schools.

There's also a nice article on NOVA's top infielders ( can't resist):

http://www.novabaseballmagazin...99160cf22ca020319f5a 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.