Skip to main content

In our area the expectation is that around 200 2015’s will play college baseball somewhere.  Around 15% have committed so far.  Maybe not D1 so much but the JuCo’s, DII’s, etc. are just heating up.  I expect a lot of commitments in the next month and recruiting will continue into next summer.  Point being is that there is still a lot of recruiting going on for 2015’s so don’t get discouraged – but get to work!

2015 RHP son committed to a JuCo (one of the best in the country).  Had some DI sniffs but nothing serious, lots of JuCo and DII opportunities.  Goal is DI and a good JuCo will give him the transfer flexibility to do that – if his skills reach that level of course.  Nice to have that “safety” school but he plans to continue working hard and maybe a DI opportunity will open up between now and next fall.  Every school can find a spot for a good pitcher!

JuCo’s seem to get a bad rap as being lower level ball.  JuCo is very strong in our area and better quality overall than DII – may be different in your area.  May not be the dream college “experience” with the beautiful campus’ (Campii?) and stuff, but these are some very good ballplayers looking to get better.  Most, probably all, like my son, think they can play D1 with another year or two of experience and maturity.  A lot end up doing just that.  Looking through the team websites my guess where they actually end up is 40% DI, 40% DII, 10% DIII or NAIA, 5% drafted, 5% out of baseball.  Don’t rule out JuCo!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

IMO JuCo interest depends on why player is going there. If they need to work on skills or are already good and plan to transfer to D1 later that's a  reason to  go, as well as stu who have academic problems and cannot get into other schools.

The ones who may not look at JuCo at all r parents of higher academic players. Chances of playing in pros is slim, so I would not let my high academic son attend junior college to 

try to get to pros unless he was already being scouted by pro teams. Players need to be looking at colleges for academics  first IMO. Baseball is not one and done like college bball for some. School matters

unfortunately some kids and parents get too caught up in making it on D1 team, some would rather do that and sit bench then go to D11 and D111 and play sooner. Oh well, good luck w that. 

Just glad there are many options out there. Not a one size fits all.

Originally Posted by playball2011:

IMO JuCo interest depends on why player is going there. If they need to work on skills or are already good and plan to transfer to D1 later that's a  reason to  go, as well as stu who have academic problems and cannot get into other schools.

The ones who may not look at JuCo at all r parents of higher academic players. Chances of playing in pros is slim, so I would not let my high academic son attend junior college to 

try to get to pros unless he was already being scouted by pro teams. Players need to be looking at colleges for academics  first IMO. Baseball is not one and done like college bball for some. School matters

unfortunately some kids and parents get too caught up in making it on D1 team, some would rather do that and sit bench then go to D11 and D111 and play sooner. Oh well, good luck w that. 

Just glad there are many options out there. Not a one size fits all.

Wow – where to start!?

Help me understand the “higher academic” thing.  So you’re saying it matters where you take your general ed courses?  I can hear it now – recruiter at first job interview after graduation “Well Billy, everything looks good here but I see you took History 101 at ABC Junior College, while Timmy over here took History 101 at XYZ University.  We’re going to have to give the job to Timmy”.  Really?

Are you saying academics aren’t important to those who go to JuCo?  In our case that couldn’t be further from the truth.  He will have a degree just like my wife and I and his two older siblings.  FWIW he has a 27 ACT and a 3.45 gpa.  Maybe not “higher academic”  but good enough to get into 90% of the schools in the US.

Why not let him chase his dream and get an education at the same time?

Originally Posted by nolan ryan:

...  Most, probably all, like my son, think they can play D1 with another year or two of experience and maturity.  A lot end up doing just that.  Looking through the team websites my guess where they actually end up is 40% DI, 40% DII, 10% DIII or NAIA, 5% drafted, 5% out of baseball.  Don’t rule out JuCo!

Good message, although I think looking at your "where they end up" estimates would make for interesting, if not valuable, discussion.  I've certainly done my share of roster scanning.

Last year, son's JC graduated 14 sophs and 10 transferred on athletic scholarship to play at four year schools.  I believe this is considered a relatively successful ratio and would suggest your "5% out of baseball" is quite low.

Regarding the D1 number, I think this is quite optimistic.  D1's, of course, get the pick of the litter and their rosters are typically full of kids straight out of HS with only an occasional JC transfer.     Exceptions are, well, exceptions.   I've also looked at this from the other end.  When I research JC rosters and where the players move on to, it generally reflects what I see when I research rosters across four year schools.  Far more JC transfers at D2's than D1's and quite a few on several NAIA's.

My guess would be more like 15% D1, 32% D2,30% D3 or NAIA, 3% draft and 20% out of baseball.  Of course, this doesn't include the large number of players who are cut trying to make a JC roster to begin with.

One of the reasons I bring these numbers into question is that I think it is important to recognize JC as a great vehicle for many as you stated but also to be realistic about the likely destination.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Originally Posted by nolan ryan:
Originally Posted by playball2011:

Wow – where to start!?

Help me understand the “higher academic” thing.  So you’re saying it matters where you take your general ed courses?  I can hear it now – recruiter at first job interview after graduation “Well Billy, everything looks good here but I see you took History 101 at ABC Junior College, while Timmy over here took History 101 at XYZ University.  We’re going to have to give the job to Timmy”.  Really?

Are you saying academics aren’t important to those who go to JuCo?  In our case that couldn’t be further from the truth.  He will have a degree just like my wife and I and his two older siblings.  FWIW he has a 27 ACT and a 3.45 gpa.  Maybe not “higher academic”  but good enough to get into 90% of the schools in the US.

It is widely known that you can get into JUCOs with low grades/academics and play ball where as you have to meet minimums at the D1 level. I think there are exceptions, no personal experience here though. I do know a kid who isnt smart with some learning disabilities that will go Juco (again 1 of the best in the country) with no issues.At least i think this is what playball meant instead of smarter kids and the Juco thing.

My kid could go full ride right now to a FL juco and be one and done and drafted (that what im told) but will go D1 and get the "college experience".

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

California JC system has transfer agreements between many 4 years schools and the JC.   The way it works is that if you to a JC and  get at least a certain GPA,  then you get to pick one four year school,  such that if you maintain that GPA, you are guaranteed admission to that school. (I think you have to do the agreement right away, not sure if you can switch)   Many UC's and CSU's have such agreements with various JC's throughout the state.  Even some private 4 year schools do.  Even some out of state schools have such agreements with California JC's 

So a kid who starts out at a JC, can quite easily end up graduating from a 4 year school -- including our highly competitive UC schools.    

The race doesn't always go to the swift.    

Last edited by SluggerDad

SluggerDad,

My degree is from one of the top engineering schools in the country. I had no idea on what I wanted to do coming out of HS and went to a California JC for three years figuring it out and then transferred. My Resume does not say anything other than where my degree is from. JC are a great option for some kids, there are so many different paths and story's that one size does not fit all. (thank goodness)

Regarding JC tranfers, the devil is really in the details. There are more requirements than just GPA. I don't think most campuses "guarantee" admission even when you meet all the requirements (only 6 in the UC system, I think). Sometimes specific majors are excluded from these agreements. Many times the university has a limit on transfers, so only the top students are accepted. And, you normally only have 2-3 semesters worth of grades to apply with, so very little room for bad grades.

Like everything else in recruiting, it pays to plan ahead. Understand the JC's transfer agreements. Know the required courses by major. Know the transfer success rate (what % meet the requirements and what % of those actually get admitted?).

The system works great for many people and can save you thousands of dollars, but don't make assumptions that you will regret down the line.

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:

Regarding JC tranfers, the devil is really in the details. There are more requirements than just GPA. I don't think most campuses "guarantee" admission even when you meet all the requirements (only 6 in the UC system, I think). Sometimes specific majors are excluded from these agreements. Many times the university has a limit on transfers, so only the top students are accepted. And, you normally only have 2-3 semesters worth of grades to apply with, so very little room for bad grades.

Like everything else in recruiting, it pays to plan ahead. Understand the JC's transfer agreements. Know the required courses by major. Know the transfer success rate (what % meet the requirements and what % of those actually get admitted?).

The system works great for many people and can save you thousands of dollars, but don't make assumptions that you will regret down the line.

There are two different program  in California JC's.  One is a transfer agreement.  Pick one school, take all the relevant courses, maintain the relevant GPA, and yes you are guaranteed a spot.   Not all UC's participate.  6 out of 9.  

Then there is "priority admission"   that's different.  There there is no guarantee.  UCLA does priority admission,  but not Transfer Agreements, as I understand it. 

I don't think that it matters "where [a student] completes his general eds," as long as the instruction is quality. Unfortunately, community colleges are the most under-resourced higher educational institutions of all--a dynamic that consistently does affect quality of instruction in the form of over-reliance on part-time instructors, heavy teaching loads, low pay, etc.). (I write this as a community college professor.)

If I were to send my son to a juco to prep him for future D1 play, I would take several precautions: first, I would make sure that the D1 school to which he wishes to transfer accepts credits from that juco. Because of the scandal at Western Oklahoma State College--a scandal involving many D1 athletic programs--see http://chronicle.com/article/N...ay/135690--four-year institutions have tightened the reins on what kinds of courses they will accept from community colleges, particularly community colleges known for their athletic programs.

The second precaution that I would take would be to make sure my son enrolls in rigorous courses taught by rigorous instructors. Today, many college students choose their courses after consulting RateMyProfessor.com; and, to their detriment, many students base their enrollment decisions on professor's "easiness" ranking--taking the easy professor's course and not the professor reputed to challenging. 

The bottom line: to a busy athlete, the prospect of easy As from easy (lazy) professors may be appealing; however, such choices oftentimes end up backfiring. For once in a D1, that athlete will need to maintain academic eligibility, and once baseball is done, that person will need to be able to function in a professional environment.  

(My two cents!)

I have a soph that played at a good JUCO last year.  Coming out of high school he was getting offers from D3, D2, NAIA and JUCO's.  He went the JUCO route because he received a full ride and had the option after one year to go to any level.  He is now at a  top 10 nationally ranked JUCO and will likely be a weekend guy.   After this coming season he might go D1, D2 or NAIA. For him it was about playing time, money offered  and options later. 

Second son is at the same JUCO as a freshman , had a couple of D1 offers, but needed mound time and maturity.  He does not have the grades to go to most D2, D3 or NAIA .  A couple of D1 coaches suggested he go JUCO for a year or two.  After that he would likely go to a D1 school ready to step in and contribute.  If he had gone D1 out of high school he would have likely sat on the bench.

Third son is a jr in high school so I am starting the recruiting process with him . He is a very very high academic player that will not consider JUCO.  The  reason is he is being recruited by a few NESCAC schools.  He is an academics first guy.......

The fact  is you have to pick a school that is going to give you what you need.  It could be a JUCO trying to go D2 or NAIA, or a JUCO trying to go D1  or get drafted.  It could be that you want a high academic school .  Just make sure the player is getting what they want and need. Don't squeeze yourself into a D1 if you are not going to play and playing is high on your list. If you want a high academic D1 and low field time then don't expect playing time. But just make sure you get what you need and want , it's a ton of work to go to school and play college baseball at any level.  So once it's over, and it will be quickly at least you can say I got what I needed.

So many players and parents feel that D1 is great.... and some times it is... I have friends and  their  sons play  at Vandy and it's a great exp.   But some D1 programs are terrible and I would rather be   at a  great D2. 

My sons JUCO team beat a good  D2 team the other  night.... there  are  very good  players in JUCO, the NESCAC is full of D1 caliber players, so that tells me that players are  doing what is best for them, and getting what they need, be it playing time, money, academics and so on. 

It seems a lot of folks are hung up on the D1 label..... I can   tell you Delta State would be G'town like a drum..... as an  example.... I think parents need to ask   themselves where can my son go where he is going to succeed..... rather than worry about what another high school parent  thinks about whether jonny is D1 or D2 or whatever. 

BOF , I have  a 2018 as  well,  very talented, he is reaping  the benefits...  being the youngest watching the other three go first is huge for him in many ways, level of play, conditioning, commitment, grades, they know he's got the 'it' factor, and they keep him in check , making sure he is making the right decisions in the class room and on the field.

Last edited by bacdorslider

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.