Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think each conference made it's own rules last year, and you are probably right the AD's probably drove it.  My understanding was that the travel concerns had some conferences playing each other 1X in 2014.  That was intended to be addressed by this years realignment so I am wondering if as part of that each conference will play each other 2X this spring.

Even if they do there will be a lot of flexibility for scheduling.  Some of the best teams in the state will have up to 10 games to work with.  If they only play each other once then there are schools with 15 open dates to fill.  A far cry from the old days when 18 games were District games in some places.

Originally Posted by luv baseball:

I think each conference made it's own rules last year, and you are probably right the AD's probably drove it.  My understanding was that the travel concerns had some conferences playing each other 1X in 2014.  That was intended to be addressed by this years realignment so I am wondering if as part of that each conference will play each other 2X this spring.

Even if they do there will be a lot of flexibility for scheduling.  Some of the best teams in the state will have up to 10 games to work with.  If they only play each other once then there are schools with 15 open dates to fill.  A far cry from the old days when 18 games were District games in some places.

Luv,

Generally speaking, the schedule this year will likely mirror last years'.  The newest realignment will not happen until 2015/16.  Considering all of the changes involved, I haven't a clue as to what that may look like. 

For the here and now, however, the SED will play each other once through, and depending on your conference, you may place your conference once or twice.  I recall the 4A and 6A groups playing their conference twice.  The 5A group only played once...I think!

Heels - I think you are right about the Group 5 teams since half were from the Peninsula and half from the southside +/-.   That means about 4 or 5 games to work with for most teams I think assuming they don't double book the old SED teams that are played in conference although I think they did last year.

Hope to see more Beach, ED and SED interaction this year.  Schools like FC, Maury, Cox, OL and others appearing on the SED schedules would be cool games.  Would like to see more GBC and other privates getting in on it too.

Heels - I think you are right about the Group 5 teams since half were from the Peninsula and half from the southside +/-.   That means about 4 or 5 games to work with for most teams I think assuming they don't double book the old SED teams that are played in conference although I think they did last year.

Hope to see more Beach, ED and SED interaction this year.  Schools like FC, Maury, Cox, OL and others appearing on the SED schedules would be cool games.  Would like to see more GBC and other privates getting in on it too.

I'm certain that a couple/few of the top area programs have picked up games against very good competition.  Some of that is from out of town though!  I'm not sure if those games have yet to be confirmed.  I am fairly sure that Great Bridge and Nansemond River will tussle more than once this spring.  I believe an extra game has been arranged between those two!

Not exactly what you were referring to, but a great matchup, nonetheless!

Last edited by GoHeels

Well you can always have solid matchups with what was usually the top 1/2 of the SED - WB, Hickory, NR, GB and GF.  I was talking about the less traditional matchups that we'd only get at the regionals when the districts would intersect.

Sort of like interleague play I suppose.  For example, the Beach and SED would never see each other except at the Regionals and sporadic Spring Break games.  Now there is far more opportunity for that than there has been in a very long time.

The Virginia Beach school system will not allow it. 
Last edited by compare

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.