Skip to main content

Hello all, 

I'm a 2016 graduate (17 years old) and hope to play division one baseball. I am a right handed pitcher. I understand that not everyone does play division one baseball, so I am completely open to anything else. Since I was a young child, traveling with my grandparents to my uncle's games (at a Division One school). Once he got to travel the country and play baseball while getting free schooling for it, I made the decision that I wanted to do that. A division one school was my goal, but I would never say that a division two or three school would be a failure.

As a student, I get very good grades. I have a 4.06 GPA, and scored a 30 on the first and only time I took the ACT test, in September of 2014. I took the ACT for the second time yesterday, hopefully scoring a bit higher. I've always been a great student, being on the Principal's List since it started back in third grade. I've always been driven to be a great student as well as athlete. I plan to major in either accounting, finance, or another business related field.

As an athlete, I feel I have many attributes that allow me to be successful. I am 6'2'', 155 lbs. I have an extremely long, lanky body. I have worked all winter to gain strength and add weight, but I did not add much weight. I gained over 80 lbs. on my squat and deadlifts, although I did not much body weight. When talking about my weight and lanky body frame, I would be open to redshirting. Being on a diet and weight program provided by the program would be extremely beneficial to me. I would love to be able to compete as a freshman, but it may be more beneficial to me as a player to redshirt and try to get a better body before trying to compete on the mound.

I've always thrown hard for my age, but now I would say I'm in the "average" category. Last summer I reached 83 MPH. I attended two prospect camps over the winter, and my arm obviously wasn't in "top game" shape. At the first, I topped at 79 and then two weeks later at 81. I hope to reach 85 MPH or higher this summer. Despite being able to throw with decent velocity, I would say that I pitch to contact more than I am a power pitcher. I also throw a changeup and curveball. My changeup is my second "go-to" pitch. It has late fade in and down to a right handed batter.The curveball is admittedly a bit inconsistent. This spring, I'm still working on getting a feel and developing my off-speed pitches. By summer,I feel that I will have great command of these pitches.

Right now, I am the 4th pitcher on a team that is undefeated this season. Last year, my team made a deep run into the state title rounds ("Sweet 16") we return two senior pitchers that are going on to play at the college level (NAIA and undecided between some D3's and NAIA/JUCO's) and the third is a junior who will also likely pitch in college (also a very good football player). I've appeared four times this season, totaling nine innings. In summer I hope to pitch more and show my abilities.

I am open to playing anywhere, at any level. For any contact, please inquire through a PM for more information. 

Thank you for reading.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm bumping this thread to keep you on the recent board in hopes that someone can come along and give you advice.

The first things they will likely ask are where you have showcased yourself, whom have you contacted, do you have specific schools in mind, where are you open to attending school...things like that.

Might want to chime back in and write some more information about yourself, good luck.

You may also try posting this over in the recruiting thread as well. I am glad you are keeping your options open. Be aware that not many right handed pitchers get full rides, most get probably around 25 %. Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships to spread across 35 athletes. D2 has around 9 I believe and D3 has 0 athletics scholarships, and depends solely on academics. 

Good luck. 

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

I'm bumping this thread to keep you on the recent board in hopes that someone can come along and give you advice.

The first things they will likely ask are where you have showcased yourself, whom have you contacted, do you have specific schools in mind, where are you open to attending school...things like that.

Might want to chime back in and write some more information about yourself, good luck.

Hm...I'm not sure if it's appropriate to mention school's names that I've been looking at or attended camps for. So far I've showcased myself a few different ways. I've been to two Ed Santa events (one in MI, one in WV), two PBR events, and now two "prospect camps" I obviously play throughout the summer, in tournaments like the Cincy Flames and Buckeye Elite. I plan on attending more prospect camps and other showcase style events throughout this next summer.

I've made contact with many different coaches in the surrounding states. I've made contact with anyone that sends me mail of any kind, or at least tried. Some coaches reply, some give nothing in response. I've emailed probably 15-20 D1 schools with my information, links, videos, etc. Probably 10 in D2, five in D3, a few NAIA. My coaches have sent out information to their contacts (anywhere from JUCO's in Louisiana to D1's in Ohio). As far as specific schools, not really. Baseball is a big part of my life and I feel that I should enjoy college and school. I would love to play baseball for the rest of my life -- although that WILL not happen (no one can). I want to play four more years, and hopefully get some money towards school for that. If this four more years helps me pursue baseball after, that would be great as well. Although, I do know that the odds are against me. I wouldn't say that would stop me, but you do have to be realistic at a point. I would love to stay close to home (Ohio) but I would look at any college that would allow me to play ball and get an education. I can answer any other questions as well.

Originally Posted by BishopLeftiesDad:

You may also try posting this over in the recruiting thread as well. I am glad you are keeping your options open. Be aware that not many right handed pitchers get full rides, most get probably around 25 %. Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships to spread across 35 athletes. D2 has around 9 I believe and D3 has 0 athletics scholarships, and depends solely on academics. 

Good luck. 

I totally understand that. I do hope that my grades, test scores, and other extracurricular activites can help with scholarship money. I understand that right handed pitchers that aren't throwing 95+ won't be getting full money, or probably anything close. I hope that I can get 25% and then get academic money to cover other costs. I would even be open (and embrace) a preferred walk-on spot if I could get a reasonable amount of money from academics.

Thank you to everyone and their advice!

Just wanted to give an update. I signed to play at a D2 school on April 20th. I love the school, ended up getting the President's Scholarship (Full Tuition) while earning a 4 year scholarship from my high school that will take care of my room and board. Hard work does pay off, kids! (Especially in the classroom) Thanks for anyone that gave advice and helped me in the process!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.