Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Love the action shots.  Good job!    But there seems to me there's just a little too many of the defensive work where I would try to shorten the video just a little by cutting a few of them out.  The hitting part is good too, only it would be better if more of them were up closer for a better view.   Of course, it's just IMO.  

Turn2,  you've got a great problem: too much great footage of "Lags" doing a great job in the MIF.  I agree with Truman.  I know it's hard to edit out a few more of the plays but I would.  I'd take out the "Miscellaneous" plays personally.  Very entertaining but often times too quick to really appreciate.  My GUESS (that's all I got) is a coach simply wants to see solid fundamentals.  And the boy's got plenty to show on all the other footage you've got.

Personally, I found the typed info at bottom of screen a distraction.  I missed the first 2-3 plays of film as I was trying to read it.  Maybe you were trying to save time by not killing your allotted "2-min time allotment" for a standard recruit video by having10-15 seconds of film devoted solely to a blacked out screen with a typed info page?  I'll be honest, I did not watch entire film.  I checked out at about the 2-min mark.  Forgive me if you had an "info page" at end in black.

Well shot footage and well edited.  Player has clearly worked hard for many years on his craft.  This film and editing appears to do him justice.  And that's important.

Agreed that it was a bit too long. Maybe shorten it up and post the full video on his website if a coach really wanted to see the whole thing. But most coaches will only want to see 2-3 minutes. I watched him field for about a minute and than skipped ahead to him hitting for 30 seconds or so. Best of luck to your son in his search!

You don't want a highlight film. Anyone can find enough quality plays to put together a highlight film. You want to show fundamentals close up. Show a routine play, going right, going left and a strong throwing arm. At the plate show three up close quality swings. You're better off filming practice where you can get up close than game where the shots are far off. Too many of r highlights are from too far away to zero in on mechanics. Impose key stats on the screen like throwing velocity, sixty time and home to first time.

Last edited by RJM

Good quality video and nice highlights.  Nice add on for an updated email campaign to your targeted schools.  

If you haven't sent any video fundamentals I'm with RJM.  Coaches need to see your fundamentals close up, and all of this within a 2m time frame.  No more than 2-3 reps of any position.  Example with fielding: few straight on, few to the left, few to the right, and few slow rollers.  Hitting:  few from the side with the hitter taking underhand, then a few from behind when the hitter is taking BP.

Use the first and last screens as information pages.  You can reference verified stats.  

I just put video together for my 2018 which received some positive feedback from coach's. It's a draft, with a few tweaks coming.  But close to final.

If you're interested I'm willing to share.  If not, ok.  I actually might post under a different thread looking for the eyes of expertise from our forum.

Last edited by Gov

Also agree.....way too many highlight plays.  I would say it's ok to leave a few, but add the fundamental fielding plays as GOV mentioned.  Also agree with taking away the wording.  There's a possibility some coaches may watch on a phone or a tablet and it's just too much information filling up the screen.  Your son looks like a nice player.  Good luck!!

Great feedback from everyone, thank you very much!

We will be putting together another video just after the season focused on fundamentals with key stats showing velo & speed. I will post it on his website (how is the website btw?)

I edited the highlight video and cut it by about 50 seconds (total is now 2 minutes). I shortened and resized the wording at the bottom. Hopefully it isn't as distracting.

Better?

https://youtu.be/pawpvI6XZPQ

Thank you.

Last edited by Turn 2

If the video is clear and steady, coaches know right away when they see it whether a kid is worth a look.  

It's like real estate, you read a nice description then you take a look at the pics before you take your client there.

Or like on-line dating, you read a nice description and ...  (well, never mind on that one).

nonomimi5 posted:

I am taking game footage only for now.  Is it important to take some videos of BP and fielding practices, too?  My son is an outfielder.  The hitting mechanics are very clear because I zoom in.  I didn't think BP is necessary. 

IMO the BP and fielding clips are not terribly important if you have good game footage, but it's so easy to do that I would include it. You can start the video with 5-6 BP swings editing down to about 10 seconds. A good solid swing will get the coach's attention and ensure that he keeps watching.

nonomimi5 posted:

I am taking game footage only for now.  Is it important to take some videos of BP and fielding practices, too?  My son is an outfielder.  The hitting mechanics are very clear because I zoom in.  I didn't think BP is necessary. 

I don't know if there is a right answer. What I did was:

1 - kid introducing himself to the camera

2- game hitting clips

3 - game defense clips

4 - a few swings in the cage

That came out to about 2.5 minutes. I got some helpful feedback suggesting that we add some fielding drills but  we never got around to taping that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.