Skip to main content

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Shoveit4Ks, I love watching your kid pitch... pumping 96 over 4-1/3 inning with 9 Ks Friday night. Great effort. I hope you don't mind me posting this link of Ryley.

https://youtu.be/sS0Cc1KWI6U

No problem and thank you for the kind words, I was out of town and missed that game (Mardi Gras) but i did get to watch it with my Dad who has never seen him pitch. What an outing. I was worn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q5k-ehriV4

Crazy ending to yesterdays local college game.  Great game Fresno State up 5-2 going into the 9th.  Pitcher gets into a bit of a jam.  1 out runners on 1st and 2nd, tying run at the plate.  Full count, a couple foul balls, and than the batter crushes one that gets out of the park.  Next thing we know the field ump is calling out the batter.  I bit confused in the stands, we find out he passed a runner on the bases...  Fresno State wins 5-4.     

Shoveit4Ks posted:

Thanks TPM, i think he is wrapping his mind around his role and working hard to produce when he gets the ball. Hope all is well with David, i can tell you that Monte talked about how much he is missed at Clemson at the banquet a few weeks ago.

David misses everyone as well, he is learning to be a coach. He works hard for them and they try the best they can for him.

Ryley is very lucky to have Monte as the HC. DK was lucky to be with him for one year as student assistant, he still turns to Monte for advice. There should be more Monte Lee(s) in the coaching world.

Anyway, we watch the tigers play and with you guys 100% in spirit.

Son got in 3.1 innings in relief last night vs Gardner Webb. 0 R, 2 H (one erased on DP). 0 BB, 1 K. 37 pitches / 28 for strikes. Went in the bottom of 5 2 outs team up 4-2, left score 8-2 after 8. He still has 0 ERA for year and stopped 4 runners from previous pitcher from scoring as well. Team hung on for win 8-6.

"Watched" on statlive. Hate watching that way but no choice.

Later that night he and I were texting and I said something about from what I could tell on Statlive you did well getting ahead of hitters. His quote was " well that's one positive". My brain went to his stat line and had to ask what were the negatives. He said he threw first change up of year and it was way up and away and he did not bury his slider on his strikeout pitch 4 times so only got a ground ball vs the K.

I laughed to myself thinking how wonderful it is to be thinking in those terms vs being just worried about seeing him pitch and arm not fall off.

Chef the magic number last night must of been 3.1. Son made his second appearance last night. Finished out a game where they got down 7-0 in first. He and another reliever combined for 8 1/3 scoreless

Unfortunately couldn't get it back and lost 7-3. Lots of career highs when it's only your second outing.   Struck out five and only gave up one hit.  Spun one slider at just over 3000 which is new personal best. 

Told my wife after last night I can calm down a little when he heads to pen. Ha ha

BackstopDad32 posted:

Chef the magic number last night must of been 3.1. Son made his second appearance last night. Finished out a game where they got down 7-0 in first. He and another reliever combined for 8 1/3 scoreless

Unfortunately couldn't get it back and lost 7-3. Lots of career highs when it's only your second outing.   Struck out five and only gave up one hit.  Spun one slider at just over 3000 which is new personal best. 

Told my wife after last night I can calm down a little when he heads to pen. Ha ha

Nice!!! I just have resigned myself that I pace when my son pitches. Good for my Fitbit steps��

Got the home opening series in over the weekend despite really crummy weather in Seattle (even by Seattle winter standards it was bad). Son got his first college AB as a pinch hitter at the end of a game they trailed 7-0. Walked, took 2B on a dropped ball by the catcher, took 3B on a fielder's choice, and scored his second run of the season (and their only run of the game), again on a dropped ball that squirted away from the plate. Thankfully, the team rebounded and took the next three games to win the series.

2019Dad posted:

They took the series, lost one game to UM on a balk.

This shouldnt be surprising due to the parity that exists in baseball, a result of 35 man rosters, 27 scholarhips, one of the original goals to help even the playing field.

UM will still pull it off. Most big programs havent heated up yet.

Last edited by TPM

Son is a Freshman (LHP) on the Dartmouth team.  He made his second appearance of the season in the second game and tossed three perfect innings in relief (3Ks and 6 ground outs).  We watched via ESPN3 and all I can say is thank goodness for the live stats.  There was a short delay in the video so I was constantly updating the live stats and knew how each at bat played out before the video caught up.  I think it was much easier watching this way!  He was enjoying himself and the environment.  Wish that game had ended differently.

• Dartmouth only travels with 24 (They are carrying 35 on the roster this year).
SDR posted:

Son is a Freshman (LHP) on the Dartmouth team.  He made his second appearance of the season in the second game and tossed three perfect innings in relief (3Ks and 6 ground outs).  We watched via ESPN3 and all I can say is thank goodness for the live stats.  There was a short delay in the video so I was constantly updating the live stats and knew how each at bat played out before the video caught up.  I think it was much easier watching this way!  He was enjoying himself and the environment.  Wish that game had ended differently.

• Dartmouth only travels with 24 (They are carrying 35 on the roster this year).

I saw that game, kudos to your freshman!  Mark Light field is a special place, as is that area of Miami. 

Ryno followed up his Shutout and SWAC Pitcher of the Week with a 7 ip, CG, Shutout agains Salt Lake CC.  He allowed 3 hits, 1 BB, and had 6 K's.  He was 85 - 87, and he hasn't even been able to do any long toss all spring.  They haven't held one practice this spring, because Twin has had an inordinate amount of snow this year.  All of their games have been on the road also.

Here is his stat line for the year so far:

Right now he has 18 consecutive scoreless innings.  The crazy thing is, if a ball hadn't been lost in the sun, he would have only allowed 2 runs - 1 earned, in 22.1 ip.

Really happy with how the season is going.  Hopefully, he can keep it up, and he gets stronger as they are able to go outside and throw.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by rynoattack
rynoattack posted:

Ryno followed up his Shutout and SWAC Pitcher of the Week with a 7 ip, CG, Shutout agains Salt Lake CC.  He allowed 3 hits, 1 BB, and had 6 K's.  He was 85 - 87, and he hasn't even been able to do any long toss all spring.  They haven't held one practice this spring, because Twin has had an inordinate amount of snow this year.  All of their games have been on the road also.

Here is his stat line for the year so far:

Right now he has 18 consecutive scoreless innings.  The crazy thing is, if a ball hadn't been lost in the son, he would have only allowed 2 runs - 1 earned, in 22.1 ip.

Purdue coaches' office.

Hard to believe that this weekend will mark the half way point already to senior son's last season.  He has really found his stride again, at or near the top of most offensive and defensive categories for his team and always in the middle of things.  He is enjoying his team and the season and finding good balance with school, team, girl, outside life (as much as a college player can).  So happy for him.  Of course, icing on the cake would be if they could make a deep run but i think they've lost too many of their arms for that to be realistic.

What I'm most proud of is the maturation process.  Yeah, he's still a 22 y.o. that acts like it most often, but so many grown-up light bulbs are going off for him this year.  Always loved the kid he was, really love the man he is becoming.  College baseball gets a big assist.  Baseball gets a big assist.

Looks like we'll be flying across country to be there for senior day next month.  I was fine until I typed that.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Jeremy gave up first run of year. Now 18.1 IP. Went 3.1 yesterday. Came in with runners on 2nd & 3rd in top of 6 with 2 outs.  Got a GB. Ahead 1-0 at that point. Gave up a monster HR in to of 9th to tie 1-1. Came thru in bottom of 9th with a run and win. 

Guess he was really mad at himself (not suprised) when he came in dugout after inning which he gave up HR. HC told him he was bound to give up a run this year and they would just win in bottom. Glad they did, Jeremy would have been hard to live with last night. Career now 8-0 (7-0 freshman year). 

Slider is nasty. Sitting 88-90 and topping at 93 yesterday. Ended up giving up 2 hits total, 0 BB.

He talks about pounding strike zone this year. Getting outs. Not worried about K's. For year 18.1 IP. 10k 3bb 0.49ERA, no runners from other pitchers allowed to score, .118 BA against, throwing about 75% strikes. Has topped at 95 velo but generally 88-91. 

Thing I'm most happy about is watching him pitch and not worrying about injury but simply enjoying the moment. The rest is gravy. 

Ryan is on a similar roll this year Chef Mike. 

The Purdue PC called him after the game and asked him if he would like to come take a couple classes this summer.  He said that he sees some improvements with his lower half that he can help him with, and he'll be able to work out with their trainers.  Right now he is 85 - 88, and he has touched 89.  Ryan told me that he is not throwing his 4 seamer, but if he did, he thinks he would be a mph or two faster.  Apparently they like the movement he is getting with his 2 seamer.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
rynoattack posted:

The Purdue PC called him after the game and asked him if he would like to come take a couple classes this summer.  He said that he sees some improvements with his lower half that he can help him with, and he'll be able to work out with their trainers.  Right now he is 85 - 88, and he has touched 89.  Ryan told me that he is not throwing his 4 seamer, but if he did, he thinks he would be a mph or two faster.  Apparently they like the movement he is getting with his 2 seamer.

Your son may not practice with his coach during the summer. It is against D1 rules. What he needs to do is go play in a Collegiate Summer League and the pitching coach can work with him in the fall. This gives him exposure to Scouts if he is interested in getting drafted.

TPM posted:
rynoattack posted:

Your son may not practice with his coach during the summer. It is against D1 rules. What he needs to do is go play in a Collegiate Summer League and the pitching coach can work with him in the fall. This gives him exposure to Scouts if he is interested in getting drafted.

I may have misstated what will happen.  He is going to workout in their facilities this summer, and I am sure he will be prescribed a work out. He's also going to be taking classes there this summer. 

Last edited by rynoattack

Son picked up his first collegiate win in true buzzard reliever fashion. First reliever pitches his butt off in bailing out our starter. My son comes into tied game and gets one out and we score in bottom of inning never to give up the lead. Ha ha. 

Both sets of grandparents winter in FL so they got to be with us and see it so that was cool.  

Now time for the team to get on a roll

After a rough start, things seem to be back to normal....actually better than normal.  Son started the year as the Saturday starter....a couple tough games, and 0-4 start with a ridiculous ERA (partly him, partly due to throwing to a lot of extra batters due to errors)...and no run support....and he went back to the bullpen.  I really thought that's the place for him and it's turned out to be just that.  The last 3 out of the pen....6.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 9 K's (including 5 in a 2.2 inning outing) and only 3 walks.  ERA just over 2 over last 12.1 innings   (his last start and the 3 bullpen appearances).  Velocity has been good....up to 92 and sitting 89-90.  He seems to have realized that his FB is good enough to get outs if he throws it for strikes...as he threw it about 90% of the time the past 2 appearances.  Now if we can just figure out a way to score some runs

BackstopDad32 posted:

Son picked up his first collegiate win in true buzzard reliever fashion. First reliever pitches his butt off in bailing out our starter. My son comes into tied game and gets one out and we score in bottom of inning never to give up the lead. Ha ha. 

Both sets of grandparents winter in FL so they got to be with us and see it so that was cool.  

Now time for the team to get on a roll

Not a true vulture win unless he blows a save and gets the win because the offense picks him up later.

That's more of an innocent bystander win.

But a win is a win. Congrats!

Freshman son has had some ABs at DH and struggled but yesterday in game 1 of a double header he got his first collegiate HR in the 6th with 2 outs and bases loaded. Added a single to that in the 9th. Coach rewarded him with his first start at 3B in game 2. Went 0-3 in that game against some tough pitching but made all of his plays in the field. No video so I missed it but let out a big YES while watching the stat feed. Fun stuff. Great to read everyone's stories in this thread.

Wolf posted:

Freshman son has had some ABs at DH and struggled but yesterday in game 1 of a double header he got his first collegiate HR in the 6th with 2 outs and bases loaded. Added a single to that in the 9th. Coach rewarded him with his first start at 3B in game 2. Went 0-3 in that game against some tough pitching but made all of his plays in the field. No video so I missed it but let out a big YES while watching the stat feed. Fun stuff. Great to read everyone's stories in this thread.

Wow, congrats to your son.   Is there anything worse than having only the stat feed to look at to get game info??

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Wolf posted:

Wow, congrats to your son.   Is there anything worse than having only the stat feed to look at to get game info??

Yes there is!  Watching a team Twitter feed that is not updated, and you are constantly wondering what is going on, because they don't put much in the per inning Twitter Post.  It is absolutely painful!  Can't wait 'til he gets to Purdue!

It happened! ��

My son is a fortunate beneficiary of all the great guidance by awesome posters helping him achieve his academic and baseball dreams of playing for a high academic institution.

This evening Caltech broke the streak and won its first conference game in 30 years.  This one was for all Caltech players, coaches and fans, Past, Present and Future.

Thank you Coach Mark and AD Betsy Mitchell!

Been a while since I have posted. Reality has hit. 2  weekends ago, Jeremy got to start a game (2nd one of year). First inning 2 HPB, 2 BB, 1 double 3 singles, 1 wild pitch, 1 error by him throwing a sac bunt into right field   - 6 runs. Lasted 2 more inning with 2 hits given up in each but no runs.  Last Saturday, going in bottom 9 with 5-0 lead. 4 hits including a double and 3 earned runs.

Seems like he has lost a bit of velo but what he has really lost in location. Getting to many pitches across the middle of plate or in on batters (5 HPB in last 8 IP)

He is, as you can expect, very frustrated with himself. That being said, he is  pitching pain free, had a great academic junior year, is considered a leader on the team. So it is all relative.

Well, it's here.  The end of the "playing days" chapter for senior son.  And it's great, sad and very weird at the same time.  I sort of imagined a few different scenarios but, of course, none of those panned out.  

Regular season is over, he held his body together with duct tape and super glue and managed a very productive full season (maybe more on that for another thread).  We were able to go back for a great senior day weekend a few weeks ago.  We held our composure surprisingly well, I think knowing there were several road games yet to be played.  The last road series was rained out and substituted last minute with a home non-conference matchup, so, some uncertainty to a certain regular season end.  They qualified for their conference tourney, which is this coming weekend, but rain is forecast and there is talk of cancelling the event and sending the highest seed on to regional playoffs (not them).  More uncertainty to the actual specific "end".  Did it already happen?  Meanwhile, he is so tied up with finals, arranging a summer coaching job, coordinating classes for next fall, facing a big geographic move away from girlfriend, moving out of housing, looking for new housing, ...  seemingly no time for the "moment" we had with last time he stepped on the field as a HS player.   We'll see.  But, its here.   

Last edited by cabbagedad
chefmike7777 posted:

Been a while since I have posted. Reality has hit. 2  weekends ago, Jeremy got to start a game (2nd one of year). First inning 2 HPB, 2 BB, 1 double 3 singles, 1 wild pitch, 1 error by him throwing a sac bunt into right field   - 6 runs. Lasted 2 more inning with 2 hits given up in each but no runs.  Last Saturday, going in bottom 9 with 5-0 lead. 4 hits including a double and 3 earned runs.

Seems like he has lost a bit of velo but what he has really lost in location. Getting to many pitches across the middle of plate or in on batters (5 HPB in last 8 IP)

He is, as you can expect, very frustrated with himself. That being said, he is  pitching pain free, had a great academic junior year, is considered a leader on the team. So it is all relative.

I feel your pain.

I've been following him.

That's a tough rotation to break into with three starters and the closer all posting ERAs below 2.10.  

But even with these recent glitches, JR has a strong track record. 

Here's hoping he works through it, gets more chances, and figures it out.

Best wishes,

chefmike7777 posted:

This is the time of year that pitchers begin to falter, its not a surprise. It happens. Some heat up, others now facing hitters that have hot bats.  

He just needs to keep his head in the game and use those pens to practice his stuff.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.