Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

First day of practice and we've got our first snowflakes in over a month here in NW Ohio.   Happens every year   Unfortunately no turf  means son's team will likely not see a field until they get to the season opener at Texas A & M in 3 weeks...shouldn't have to worry about snow down there, but makes it tough to compete with a team that's been outside all winter. 

Son gets an inning tomorrow in Alumni game.  Several current MLB players will be in attendance and lots of minor league players will be playing.  Then kickoff dinner afterwards where I have to bid on getting to be a bat boy for "one of the big games" per our 13 year old.  Fun day.  Good weather predicted.  Glad to start up again, getting stir crazy,  Starts a 6 month time period where we are almost NEVER home before 10 most nights, or we are traveling.  Life w/ 2 baseball playing kids.  Wouldn't trade it for anything

Well, not the start son had hoped for.  He threw great last fall and was feeling really good so far since they got back after Christmas break...even going so far as to say "I'm throwing better than last summer" when he had a really good year in summer league.  He threw to 5 batters on Tuesday (limited to 4 pitches each)...had 3 K's.  He's in line for a weekend starter spot if things continue......THEN.......texted him last night....asked how it went "Terrible, I only threw 2 innings before my arm hurt too much so I stopped".  Luckily it seems like it's his yearly early season bicep soreness....no elbow or shoulder pain.  He seems to get it every year and it lasts a few days then goes away.  He has never had any arm issues other than this.  Hopefully this is the same as every other year....just really bad timing this time.  He's back at it Tuesday so I guess we'll find out then.

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Unfortunately no turf  means son's team will likely not see a field until they get to the season opener at Texas A & M in 3 weeks...shouldn't have to worry about snow down there, but makes it tough to compete with a team that's been outside all winter. 

Buckeye: Son had a series there last year. Quite the atmosphere. Hope your pitchers are on. If you get to 4 balls, the chants from the crowd will be "ball 5, ball five.. followed by ball 6, ball 6, with another throw outside the strikezone. Found that both irritating and funny at the same time.

Ripken Fan posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:

Unfortunately no turf  means son's team will likely not see a field until they get to the season opener at Texas A & M in 3 weeks...shouldn't have to worry about snow down there, but makes it tough to compete with a team that's been outside all winter. 

Buckeye: Son had a series there last year. Quite the atmosphere. Hope your pitchers are on. If you get to 4 balls, the chants from the crowd will be "ball 5, ball five.. followed by ball 6, ball 6, with another throw outside the strikezone. Found that both irritating and funny at the same time.

Florida St did that last year too....he said it was hard to keep from laughing on the mound...but he threw well, so I guess it didn't bother him too much

Ripken Fan posted:

If you get to 4 balls, the chants from the crowd will be "ball 5, ball five.. followed by ball 6, ball 6, with another throw outside the strikezone. Found that both irritating and funny at the same time.

Luv when the A&M crowd gets that going. there was kid last year I saw who was up to around 10 in a row...you could see him squeezing it so hard! he finally tossed a meatball down the middle and got Bronx cheer. quality crowd.

My sons' team opened @ Mississippi State in 2015. Expect 8,000-9,000 fans @ each game. Warn the pitchers the bullpen sits in the hole between what is know as,  The Left Field Lounge &  The Foul Pole bleachers. Fans are lined up 4-5 deep shouting down all sorts of sordid  & amusing combinations of players family member names ~ mom, sister, girlfriend, dad and any tidbit they garner off the pitchers' social media accounts. Son said it was extremely amusing! He pitched his first collegiate inning there with 2k's. Use it as motivation!  Also,  I really like to listen/watch the opponents media feed of college games. Brings a great perspective of how others view our team strengths & weaknesses & you get a better pulse on atmosphere of the stadium . Best wishes for a fun series ⚾

Last edited by Journey On

It's been a long time since I've posted but we are very much enjoying the Freshman Year D1 experience. Son was a non-drafted member of a very highly ranked recruiting class. So naturally he gets far less attention than some of his classmates. But it was fun for the family to see his Bio go up on the team's roster page. And just today, the SID posted his "get to know Jacob" interview on Twitter and Instagram.

Jacob had a good Fall and exceeded incoming expectations with the bat and in the field, but there's a lot of depth at his position. Best news about playing under guys that were supposed to be drafted last year is that both the internal competition and availability of good mentors has him intent honing his role play while building a case to starting in coming seasons. First games are at Santa Clara University starting February 17. Couldn't be more excited.

Texted Ryno this morning, and they had hit the road to Las Vegas.  There are headed to CSN for 4 games, and he will start Game 3 on Friday afternoon.  Hope he does well.  We decided to wait until next week to travel to Vegas, because his team will be playing 4 different teams, instead of this weekend when they play the same team 4 times.

So we played @ Santa Clara in Feb 2015. Santa Clara County ranks as one of highest per sq/ft of Real Estate. Their stadium was built in 2005, seats 1,500 & is very, very cozy. I would guess there is about 5-6 feet between the homeplate umpire & the backstop/chainlink fence & about 18" on the other side is the first row of seats ~ I suggest you sit in this first row to the left of homeplate on the visitor side. It was hard to determine if we were @ baseball game or Comedy Club. Right behind homeplate sat 4-6 students with a wipeboard, iphones & ipad googling every tidbit off our players social media & current events. The jokes, puns, double entendres were clean, witty and nonstop and they carried over from Friday/Saturday, kept track of jokes & players performance! Have fun and roll with it ⚾. College baseball, It's all good  ⚾⚾

Headed to watch my College Junior play a three game series this weekend.  My youngest is a HS senior and they start scrimmages on Monday.  My wife and I get to see the oldest this weekend together.  Then, for the rest of the season it will be high fives in the driveway as we pass each other as we alternate between seeing both play.  Lucky because oldest is only 2 1/2 hours from home.  Tomorrow starts the never ending circus at our house that we go through every year from early February to August.  I also coach high school track, so throw a track meet or two every week into the mix as well.  Here we Go!

Son's old School started Practices last week. First Game is Mar 4. They head down to Florida the second week in March. 

I do not know many of the players on the team any more being 2 years removed. But I like the strength of their OOC schedule. Plenty of tough competition, with some middling teams thrown in. This will allow them to get ready for conference play, but give Freshmen and second string some early opportunities to show what they can do. 

Son's team opens at home next weekend vs. ULM.   Followed by a Tuesday night game vs. Rice.  

Son has had back to back outings where he pitched very well after a strong fall.  Was told yesterday to be prepared to get into lots of games out of the bullpen so he and we are very excited.  

Friday is baseball banquet followed by the alumni game on Saturday which is broadcast online so both sets of grandparents will get to see him pitch from afar.  Family wagon has about 59K miles on it.  Will see where that is at the end of the season

Good luck to everyone's boys.

rynoattack posted:
tres_arboles posted:

Ryno--If you have a chance to see CSN, keep your eyes on a kid named Herb Good. 6'8" Rangers draftee, over 97+ on the mound inside this winter. Good friend and former teammate of my son in summer ball a few years ago.

My son played with him at a PG tourney once. 

With a name like Herb Good, I'm surprised the Rockies didn't draft him

5 days!!!!   Son found out this weekend he's the Saturday starter.  Opener Friday then he throws Saturday at Texas A & M in front of what likely will be 6000+.  Forecast says 78 and sunny.  Fortunately it's on ESPN+ so I get to see it.  Hopefully making the trip to Nashville the following weekend for some baseball and maybe a couple cold ones lol

Buckeye 2015 posted:

5 days!!!!   Son found out this weekend he's the Saturday starter.  Opener Friday then he throws Saturday at Texas A & M in front of what likely will be 6000+.  Forecast says 78 and sunny.  Fortunately it's on ESPN+ so I get to see it.  Hopefully making the trip to Nashville the following weekend for some baseball and maybe a couple cold ones lol

Wow, doesn't get any better than that!  Congrats and enjoy!

I've said before here that every day of baseball at this point for college senior son is pure gravy.  That theory was tested yesterday... they finished on the wrong side of the longest regulation college baseball game I've ever witnessed (fortunately I was watching it streamed so I could tackle other tasks along the way).   Very bizarre, too.  He finished the series 0-fer but at one point, had eight straight successful AB's - four walks, three HBP's and a "move the runner" on a hit-and-run.

I figured they'd need to score a bunch of runs this year with their pitching...  maybe 6 to 8 per game.  In that game, two touchdowns left them a touchdown and FG short 

Still lovin' it.  They just need to trade for a QB.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

What fantastic news. Good luck to him.

Branson Baseball posted:

Cabbage, Maybe our sons are on the same team...loooong weekend of baseball.  Especially yesterday's marathon.

Rough start for my older guy's team.  

And we were blessed to see him in uniform and playing again for the first time since 2014.  Not to over spiritualize, but God has been very merciful. Thanks to all here for your kind words and support. 

Wow, 2014.  Then you totally get the "gravy" comment!  

As parents we sure are lucky to be living in the age of the internet.  My 2017's future school played 4 games last weekend and I had the video feed playing on my laptop through most of that while I worked on my main computer. Not exactly like watching a SEC or ACC game - only one camera, but the quality was decent enough to enjoy the game. Can't wait until next year -- well, actually I can.  I'm looking forward to one more year of HS Baseball very much.

Last edited by JCG

Congrats Buckeye.  Son has several friends and former teammates on that A&M squad.  Early on should be a good time to catch them as almost all the position players for them are new starters.  We get them midweek late and by that time no one will be new anymore.  Atmosphere will be unreal.  If my son gets the call from the pen in that game or at TCU no doubt it will be the largest crowd he has played in front of by a long shot 

BackstopDad32 posted:

Congrats Buckeye.  Son has several friends and former teammates on that A&M squad.  Early on should be a good time to catch them as almost all the position players for them are new starters.  We get them midweek late and by that time no one will be new anymore.  Atmosphere will be unreal.  If my son gets the call from the pen in that game or at TCU no doubt it will be the largest crowd he has played in front of by a long shot 

I noticed that....9 of their top 10 hitters from last year are gone.....hopefully he throws well and maybe even comes out on top.  Nobody here in the Midwest will know they have all new guys lol

I will try not to be too jealous reading all of these posts! I can't wait for the season to get started. The seasons just fly by; one weekend merges right into the next. I still feel like it was a week ago I was in Omaha to see Coastal Carolina with the championship. Then again, I still feel like it was a week ago (ok maybe 2 weeks) since my playing days. I am still connected to the game through my book but greatly miss the rush of an Opening Day! Best of luck to all

_____

Amazon: Going with the Pitch SE

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete" (Second Edition)

Not a horrible first start, but I'm sure son isn't thrilled.  4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 K's and 3 BB...lead to 5 ER.  Walked the first two guys in the fifth before leaving and the reliever came in and walked 3 straight.  2 errors cost him about 20 pitches...and the Aggies fouled off 16 in his 4 innings. He left down 4-1....it ended up 19-2.    On the plus side, he was up to 92 (his best ever) in the season opener.  He told me 2 weeks ago he thought he was throwing harder than last summer, but I kinda doubted it being it was so early in the spring.  Heading to Nashville next weekend to see him throw against Middle TN St.....oh, and maybe have a cold one or two

Son made collegiate debut today. Leadoff double but strikeout, HBP and ground into double play got out unscathed.  Pretty awesome to watch as a parent. My folks were there so they got to share in the moment.  

He has always amazed me about never being nervous. He told my dad at one point he knows he was shaking on the mound he was so nervous. Ha ha

BackstopDad32 posted:

Son made collegiate debut today. Leadoff double but strikeout, HBP and ground into double play got out unscathed.  Pretty awesome to watch as a parent. My folks were there so they got to share in the moment.  

He has always amazed me about never being nervous. He told my dad at one point he knows he was shaking on the mound he was so nervous. Ha ha

Nice job by your son. Congratulations.

Congrats Backstop and Buckeye. Buckeye, tell your son to keep his chin up. That wasn't an easy first game. To play against a national powerhouse in front of their home crowd. One positive, it shouldn't get any more difficult than that. And who's on first, I can relate. It's a little easier for me as son will be coming out of the pen after his surgery. So it will be a complete shock and unknown as far as timing, so I won't have too much time to fret. I'm trying not to worry as it has been 2 years since he toed the rubber in a game. I really have zero expectations, but I'm still gonna be SICK. 

My name is Sean Simard, the GM for the Capital City Reds. We're a summer collegiate team based in Ottawa Canada. We're saving a few roster spots for pitchers we may have overlooked and are still looking for 1 catcher. We're a travel team that plays all over New York State, Ontario, Quebec, and go to the World Series in Ohio. If you're looking for a place to play this summer and can compete at this level please send us a message. Visit our website, capitalcityreds.com or e-mail seansimard01@hotmail.com

Picked Off posted:

PO Jr off to his worst start in 3 years. Not sure what's going on, but hopeful things change. Arm feels great, velocity same, off speed pitches crisp, balls just finding holes. 

He told me to relax, it's early. I like his confidence, but it's hard for a dad to watch. 

One bad outing and with good reason from what I heard about the trip down

Never been a pitcher who didn't have those once in a while.  He'll be fine.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Who's on First? posted:

Not too bad the first two innings.  Third inning unraveled a bit and didn't make it out of the inning.  Good weekend though, going 3-1. 

Who's on First, you guys scare the heck out of me.  I have told folks I think you all are easily a top 10 team and that most folks have you all rated way to low.  

Son is good friends and has played in the past with your freshman third baseman and catcher.  Both are great players and great guys.  Good luck to your son and his teammates this spring.  Now if we end up in your regional again I will have to retract..ha

Ryan was the SWAC Pitcher of the Week!  Pretty cool. 

TWIN FALLS - College of Southern Idaho sophomore Ryan Beard pitched a gem last weekend against Northeastern Junior College, earning Scenic West Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week accolades.
Beard was almost untouchable on the mound, pitching all seven innings in the Golden Eagles 9-0 win.
The left-hander finished the game, giving up just three hits and one walk with four strikeouts.
For the season, Beard holds a 1.76 ERA in 15.1 innings pitched and 1-1 record.

Son started a bit slow at his NAIA the first few series but really picked it up since.  What has been particularly fun is that they have played a few ranked opponents, including a very good D2, and he has tore it up against those teams but not so much against the others.  Not-so-fun... he, once again, leads the team in HBP (by a safe margin).

And here's another HSBBW networking story...

Son's school's basketball team is nationally ranked and won their conference.  They hosted the first round of the conference tourney Tuesday.  The basketball coach is also one of son's class instructors.  He put son in charge of "fan involvement" to make sure the student body was getting in the heads of the opponents (son used other words for the job description - I told him his mother would be so proud ).  Son knew who to call right away- last year's roommate and son of our esteemed PickedOff, who is all the way across the country.  PO's son has perfected the art.

The whole baseball team was in full force and the antics were very well received and very effective.  Today, the school's athletic website has the feature pic of the basketball team celebrating and running over to the baseball team in the stands to thank them for the big assist.

Thanks, son of PickedOff... you just put a little SF in WV and helped a basketball team across the country pick up a big W. 

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Shoveit4Ks, I love watching your kid pitch... pumping 96 over 4-1/3 inning with 9 Ks Friday night. Great effort. I hope you don't mind me posting this link of Ryley.

https://youtu.be/sS0Cc1KWI6U

No problem and thank you for the kind words, I was out of town and missed that game (Mardi Gras) but i did get to watch it with my Dad who has never seen him pitch. What an outing. I was worn out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q5k-ehriV4

Crazy ending to yesterdays local college game.  Great game Fresno State up 5-2 going into the 9th.  Pitcher gets into a bit of a jam.  1 out runners on 1st and 2nd, tying run at the plate.  Full count, a couple foul balls, and than the batter crushes one that gets out of the park.  Next thing we know the field ump is calling out the batter.  I bit confused in the stands, we find out he passed a runner on the bases...  Fresno State wins 5-4.     

Shoveit4Ks posted:

Thanks TPM, i think he is wrapping his mind around his role and working hard to produce when he gets the ball. Hope all is well with David, i can tell you that Monte talked about how much he is missed at Clemson at the banquet a few weeks ago.

David misses everyone as well, he is learning to be a coach. He works hard for them and they try the best they can for him.

Ryley is very lucky to have Monte as the HC. DK was lucky to be with him for one year as student assistant, he still turns to Monte for advice. There should be more Monte Lee(s) in the coaching world.

Anyway, we watch the tigers play and with you guys 100% in spirit.

Son got in 3.1 innings in relief last night vs Gardner Webb. 0 R, 2 H (one erased on DP). 0 BB, 1 K. 37 pitches / 28 for strikes. Went in the bottom of 5 2 outs team up 4-2, left score 8-2 after 8. He still has 0 ERA for year and stopped 4 runners from previous pitcher from scoring as well. Team hung on for win 8-6.

"Watched" on statlive. Hate watching that way but no choice.

Later that night he and I were texting and I said something about from what I could tell on Statlive you did well getting ahead of hitters. His quote was " well that's one positive". My brain went to his stat line and had to ask what were the negatives. He said he threw first change up of year and it was way up and away and he did not bury his slider on his strikeout pitch 4 times so only got a ground ball vs the K.

I laughed to myself thinking how wonderful it is to be thinking in those terms vs being just worried about seeing him pitch and arm not fall off.

Chef the magic number last night must of been 3.1. Son made his second appearance last night. Finished out a game where they got down 7-0 in first. He and another reliever combined for 8 1/3 scoreless

Unfortunately couldn't get it back and lost 7-3. Lots of career highs when it's only your second outing.   Struck out five and only gave up one hit.  Spun one slider at just over 3000 which is new personal best. 

Told my wife after last night I can calm down a little when he heads to pen. Ha ha

BackstopDad32 posted:

Chef the magic number last night must of been 3.1. Son made his second appearance last night. Finished out a game where they got down 7-0 in first. He and another reliever combined for 8 1/3 scoreless

Unfortunately couldn't get it back and lost 7-3. Lots of career highs when it's only your second outing.   Struck out five and only gave up one hit.  Spun one slider at just over 3000 which is new personal best. 

Told my wife after last night I can calm down a little when he heads to pen. Ha ha

Nice!!! I just have resigned myself that I pace when my son pitches. Good for my Fitbit steps��

Got the home opening series in over the weekend despite really crummy weather in Seattle (even by Seattle winter standards it was bad). Son got his first college AB as a pinch hitter at the end of a game they trailed 7-0. Walked, took 2B on a dropped ball by the catcher, took 3B on a fielder's choice, and scored his second run of the season (and their only run of the game), again on a dropped ball that squirted away from the plate. Thankfully, the team rebounded and took the next three games to win the series.

2019Dad posted:

They took the series, lost one game to UM on a balk.

This shouldnt be surprising due to the parity that exists in baseball, a result of 35 man rosters, 27 scholarhips, one of the original goals to help even the playing field.

UM will still pull it off. Most big programs havent heated up yet.

Last edited by TPM

Son is a Freshman (LHP) on the Dartmouth team.  He made his second appearance of the season in the second game and tossed three perfect innings in relief (3Ks and 6 ground outs).  We watched via ESPN3 and all I can say is thank goodness for the live stats.  There was a short delay in the video so I was constantly updating the live stats and knew how each at bat played out before the video caught up.  I think it was much easier watching this way!  He was enjoying himself and the environment.  Wish that game had ended differently.

• Dartmouth only travels with 24 (They are carrying 35 on the roster this year).
SDR posted:

Son is a Freshman (LHP) on the Dartmouth team.  He made his second appearance of the season in the second game and tossed three perfect innings in relief (3Ks and 6 ground outs).  We watched via ESPN3 and all I can say is thank goodness for the live stats.  There was a short delay in the video so I was constantly updating the live stats and knew how each at bat played out before the video caught up.  I think it was much easier watching this way!  He was enjoying himself and the environment.  Wish that game had ended differently.

• Dartmouth only travels with 24 (They are carrying 35 on the roster this year).

I saw that game, kudos to your freshman!  Mark Light field is a special place, as is that area of Miami. 

Ryno followed up his Shutout and SWAC Pitcher of the Week with a 7 ip, CG, Shutout agains Salt Lake CC.  He allowed 3 hits, 1 BB, and had 6 K's.  He was 85 - 87, and he hasn't even been able to do any long toss all spring.  They haven't held one practice this spring, because Twin has had an inordinate amount of snow this year.  All of their games have been on the road also.

Here is his stat line for the year so far:

Right now he has 18 consecutive scoreless innings.  The crazy thing is, if a ball hadn't been lost in the sun, he would have only allowed 2 runs - 1 earned, in 22.1 ip.

Really happy with how the season is going.  Hopefully, he can keep it up, and he gets stronger as they are able to go outside and throw.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • blobid0
Last edited by rynoattack
rynoattack posted:

Ryno followed up his Shutout and SWAC Pitcher of the Week with a 7 ip, CG, Shutout agains Salt Lake CC.  He allowed 3 hits, 1 BB, and had 6 K's.  He was 85 - 87, and he hasn't even been able to do any long toss all spring.  They haven't held one practice this spring, because Twin has had an inordinate amount of snow this year.  All of their games have been on the road also.

Here is his stat line for the year so far:

Right now he has 18 consecutive scoreless innings.  The crazy thing is, if a ball hadn't been lost in the son, he would have only allowed 2 runs - 1 earned, in 22.1 ip.

Purdue coaches' office.

Hard to believe that this weekend will mark the half way point already to senior son's last season.  He has really found his stride again, at or near the top of most offensive and defensive categories for his team and always in the middle of things.  He is enjoying his team and the season and finding good balance with school, team, girl, outside life (as much as a college player can).  So happy for him.  Of course, icing on the cake would be if they could make a deep run but i think they've lost too many of their arms for that to be realistic.

What I'm most proud of is the maturation process.  Yeah, he's still a 22 y.o. that acts like it most often, but so many grown-up light bulbs are going off for him this year.  Always loved the kid he was, really love the man he is becoming.  College baseball gets a big assist.  Baseball gets a big assist.

Looks like we'll be flying across country to be there for senior day next month.  I was fine until I typed that.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.