Skip to main content

Buckeye 2015 posted:

5 days!!!!   Son found out this weekend he's the Saturday starter.  Opener Friday then he throws Saturday at Texas A & M in front of what likely will be 6000+.  Forecast says 78 and sunny.  Fortunately it's on ESPN+ so I get to see it.  Hopefully making the trip to Nashville the following weekend for some baseball and maybe a couple cold ones lol

Wow, doesn't get any better than that!  Congrats and enjoy!

I've said before here that every day of baseball at this point for college senior son is pure gravy.  That theory was tested yesterday... they finished on the wrong side of the longest regulation college baseball game I've ever witnessed (fortunately I was watching it streamed so I could tackle other tasks along the way).   Very bizarre, too.  He finished the series 0-fer but at one point, had eight straight successful AB's - four walks, three HBP's and a "move the runner" on a hit-and-run.

I figured they'd need to score a bunch of runs this year with their pitching...  maybe 6 to 8 per game.  In that game, two touchdowns left them a touchdown and FG short 

Still lovin' it.  They just need to trade for a QB.

Buckeye 2015 posted:

5 days!!!!   Son found out this weekend he's the Saturday starter.  Opener Friday then he throws Saturday at Texas A & M in front of what likely will be 6000+.  Forecast says 78 and sunny.  Fortunately it's on ESPN+ so I get to see it.  Hopefully making the trip to Nashville the following weekend for some baseball and maybe a couple cold ones lol

What fantastic news. Good luck to him.

Branson Baseball posted:

Cabbage, Maybe our sons are on the same team...loooong weekend of baseball.  Especially yesterday's marathon.

Rough start for my older guy's team.  

And we were blessed to see him in uniform and playing again for the first time since 2014.  Not to over spiritualize, but God has been very merciful. Thanks to all here for your kind words and support. 

Wow, 2014.  Then you totally get the "gravy" comment!  

As parents we sure are lucky to be living in the age of the internet.  My 2017's future school played 4 games last weekend and I had the video feed playing on my laptop through most of that while I worked on my main computer. Not exactly like watching a SEC or ACC game - only one camera, but the quality was decent enough to enjoy the game. Can't wait until next year -- well, actually I can.  I'm looking forward to one more year of HS Baseball very much.

Last edited by JCG

Congrats Buckeye.  Son has several friends and former teammates on that A&M squad.  Early on should be a good time to catch them as almost all the position players for them are new starters.  We get them midweek late and by that time no one will be new anymore.  Atmosphere will be unreal.  If my son gets the call from the pen in that game or at TCU no doubt it will be the largest crowd he has played in front of by a long shot 

BackstopDad32 posted:

Congrats Buckeye.  Son has several friends and former teammates on that A&M squad.  Early on should be a good time to catch them as almost all the position players for them are new starters.  We get them midweek late and by that time no one will be new anymore.  Atmosphere will be unreal.  If my son gets the call from the pen in that game or at TCU no doubt it will be the largest crowd he has played in front of by a long shot 

I noticed that....9 of their top 10 hitters from last year are gone.....hopefully he throws well and maybe even comes out on top.  Nobody here in the Midwest will know they have all new guys lol

I will try not to be too jealous reading all of these posts! I can't wait for the season to get started. The seasons just fly by; one weekend merges right into the next. I still feel like it was a week ago I was in Omaha to see Coastal Carolina with the championship. Then again, I still feel like it was a week ago (ok maybe 2 weeks) since my playing days. I am still connected to the game through my book but greatly miss the rush of an Opening Day! Best of luck to all

_____

Amazon: Going with the Pitch SE

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete" (Second Edition)

Not a horrible first start, but I'm sure son isn't thrilled.  4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 K's and 3 BB...lead to 5 ER.  Walked the first two guys in the fifth before leaving and the reliever came in and walked 3 straight.  2 errors cost him about 20 pitches...and the Aggies fouled off 16 in his 4 innings. He left down 4-1....it ended up 19-2.    On the plus side, he was up to 92 (his best ever) in the season opener.  He told me 2 weeks ago he thought he was throwing harder than last summer, but I kinda doubted it being it was so early in the spring.  Heading to Nashville next weekend to see him throw against Middle TN St.....oh, and maybe have a cold one or two

Son made collegiate debut today. Leadoff double but strikeout, HBP and ground into double play got out unscathed.  Pretty awesome to watch as a parent. My folks were there so they got to share in the moment.  

He has always amazed me about never being nervous. He told my dad at one point he knows he was shaking on the mound he was so nervous. Ha ha

BackstopDad32 posted:

Son made collegiate debut today. Leadoff double but strikeout, HBP and ground into double play got out unscathed.  Pretty awesome to watch as a parent. My folks were there so they got to share in the moment.  

He has always amazed me about never being nervous. He told my dad at one point he knows he was shaking on the mound he was so nervous. Ha ha

Nice job by your son. Congratulations.

Congrats Backstop and Buckeye. Buckeye, tell your son to keep his chin up. That wasn't an easy first game. To play against a national powerhouse in front of their home crowd. One positive, it shouldn't get any more difficult than that. And who's on first, I can relate. It's a little easier for me as son will be coming out of the pen after his surgery. So it will be a complete shock and unknown as far as timing, so I won't have too much time to fret. I'm trying not to worry as it has been 2 years since he toed the rubber in a game. I really have zero expectations, but I'm still gonna be SICK. 

My name is Sean Simard, the GM for the Capital City Reds. We're a summer collegiate team based in Ottawa Canada. We're saving a few roster spots for pitchers we may have overlooked and are still looking for 1 catcher. We're a travel team that plays all over New York State, Ontario, Quebec, and go to the World Series in Ohio. If you're looking for a place to play this summer and can compete at this level please send us a message. Visit our website, capitalcityreds.com or e-mail seansimard01@hotmail.com

Picked Off posted:

PO Jr off to his worst start in 3 years. Not sure what's going on, but hopeful things change. Arm feels great, velocity same, off speed pitches crisp, balls just finding holes. 

He told me to relax, it's early. I like his confidence, but it's hard for a dad to watch. 

One bad outing and with good reason from what I heard about the trip down

Never been a pitcher who didn't have those once in a while.  He'll be fine.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Who's on First? posted:

Not too bad the first two innings.  Third inning unraveled a bit and didn't make it out of the inning.  Good weekend though, going 3-1. 

Who's on First, you guys scare the heck out of me.  I have told folks I think you all are easily a top 10 team and that most folks have you all rated way to low.  

Son is good friends and has played in the past with your freshman third baseman and catcher.  Both are great players and great guys.  Good luck to your son and his teammates this spring.  Now if we end up in your regional again I will have to retract..ha

Ryan was the SWAC Pitcher of the Week!  Pretty cool. 

TWIN FALLS - College of Southern Idaho sophomore Ryan Beard pitched a gem last weekend against Northeastern Junior College, earning Scenic West Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week accolades.
Beard was almost untouchable on the mound, pitching all seven innings in the Golden Eagles 9-0 win.
The left-hander finished the game, giving up just three hits and one walk with four strikeouts.
For the season, Beard holds a 1.76 ERA in 15.1 innings pitched and 1-1 record.

Son started a bit slow at his NAIA the first few series but really picked it up since.  What has been particularly fun is that they have played a few ranked opponents, including a very good D2, and he has tore it up against those teams but not so much against the others.  Not-so-fun... he, once again, leads the team in HBP (by a safe margin).

And here's another HSBBW networking story...

Son's school's basketball team is nationally ranked and won their conference.  They hosted the first round of the conference tourney Tuesday.  The basketball coach is also one of son's class instructors.  He put son in charge of "fan involvement" to make sure the student body was getting in the heads of the opponents (son used other words for the job description - I told him his mother would be so proud ).  Son knew who to call right away- last year's roommate and son of our esteemed PickedOff, who is all the way across the country.  PO's son has perfected the art.

The whole baseball team was in full force and the antics were very well received and very effective.  Today, the school's athletic website has the feature pic of the basketball team celebrating and running over to the baseball team in the stands to thank them for the big assist.

Thanks, son of PickedOff... you just put a little SF in WV and helped a basketball team across the country pick up a big W. 

Last edited by cabbagedad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.