Skip to main content

My son is 2017 MIF/3B. Plays on high profile summer team and had success in local Philadelphia area HS team. We have attended many "showcase/college camp PG events in the last 2 years. His interest is mainly Patriot League/D111 (New England area schools). He has overall good grades and scores.  In trying to find 'REAL" exposure to colleges that would be a great fit what is our best bet??

His summer team plays in GA and Ft Myers and some local tourneys but we feel like it is endless waste of time and would like to make a smart move and stop wasting $$$ going down south.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Has he had any contact with/interest from the Patriot League schools or D3 schools?  He should be in contact with the coaches via email, completing the online profiles, sending videos, sending them his schedule, etc.  Where does his travel team play up here in the NE (we are in NY).  Have they played at Diamond Nation or Baseball Heaven?  

At this stage if he hasn't had any interest from the Patriot schools or interaction with them then he's most likely not on their radar and it's kind of late.  He should maybe switch focus to the D3 schools on his list and see if they'll be at Headfirst out on Long Island.  Consider attending one or two sessions there vs going down south to PG where there is probably more of a D1 focus (just speaking from a cost perspective - not that dates might conflict).

Many D3 schools also hold recruiting camps late summer/fall but it would be smart to have contact with those coaches prior to camp and not just attend in hopes of being seen.  He could also look for smaller showcases in the NE that have D3 schools listed - search online for them, there are some every week/weekend.  You just need to really look at who will attend and again, have son get in contact with those schools.  

I'll add as a parent of a 2016 who will pitch at a D3 centennial conference school this year - don't assume that because the Patriot League is "academic" they'll be looking at different players than other D1 northeast schools.  At least as far as pitchers go velo wise they were looking for the same thing as any other D1 school in the northeast.   

I wouldn't count recent exposure at events in PG/Georgia out just yet. Not sure what team your son played for, or what locations at PG, but if he just played the 17u WWBA something may still come from it as a 2017.  

Moving forward, with an "all of the above" approach I'd recommend Headfirst Honor Roll Camps, August On Long Island. $990 tuition breaks down to about $10 per D3 and high academic D1s (Patriot) there.  

Not sure what your approach has been to this point, but based on your post, it sounds like you've been showing up at showcases and tournaments and waiting to be contacted.

You need to get extremely focused on where you sons talent will play and begin executing a plan to get in front of schools that his talent can play that also fit his academic profile.  Many of those schools will likely be in GA and FL, your son just needs to let them know ahead of time that he is interested in them and where and when they can see him.

You should have good metrics from the showcases he's attended, so there should be a decent idea of how he stacks up against his peers.  It shouldn't be too hard to get a good feel for the level of schools he should be targeting from a baseball perspective.  It also sounds like you have a good idea of his academic standing and what schools fit.

Now he needs to pound the pavement of a couple dozen schools to make sure they know he wants to attend and play baseball for them.

Just showing up to a showcase isn't enough unless he is a standout talent.  He needs to be working the back channels of the process.  From the sound of it he's been fishing in the right ponds, he just needs to re-bait his hook.

Good luck.

Last edited by Nuke83

Thanks so much for all your perspective. He has had some contact and 1 offer (Patriot league school). GA felt a bit "unattended" unless your team was at Lakepoint (which we only played at 9:45 PM). Would rather take $ spent for Fl and maybe do Showball/Headfirst Honor Roll but wasn't sure if missing Ft Myers could be considered a missed opportunity.

Cuchbyz,

So, what you are suggesting Is total strategy change.  I'm here to tell you we did the same thing you are suggesting after the PG WWBA in early July many years ago (2009).  My son did get some offers but they were from schools that did not have his major or school's that suggested he change his major.  We focused on the more academic schools through HeadFirst and other academic camps.  However, we did sign up for HeadFirst months in advance as an insurance policy, because we had a sense his high level travel team was not providing the exposure to the schools my son was most interested in (not their fault....it is just that we learned as we went).    You need to call HF or showcases like it....now for availability.  Also, begin making a list of schools he's interested in and check into their Fall camps.  Ivy/Patriot recruiting is happening now.....they are looking for D1 talent and exceptional grades.  If your son has it, he needs to show it and quick.  They will not be shy about their interest in your son if he has these things...this is exactly what happened to us  D3s are also beginning their recruiting and you have a little more time.

Good luck, and make those calls today!

Last edited by fenwaysouth

Not to hi-jack the thread but this brings me to the next logical question:

How often are Ivys and other high academics (Patriot) seen at PG? 

I mean, I can rattle off seeing just about every school from the POWER-5 at PG, but how about Ivys and the Lehighs, and Lafayettes, and Bucknells?   Are they at PG?  Or are they hitting the more high academic camps/showcases (HF, Stanford, Academic Top-96, etc)?

D-3s go to PG?

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach
Montanabaseball posted:

forgive me all if this is a dumb question or comment but I have been reading up on all this stuff. I see that perfect game has an academic showcase, wouldn't the smart school show up for that? or do they just go to the headfirst event or the Stanford camp.

my kid probably just goes to junior college but think all this is kind of interesting

Good point.  Yes, I'd imagine Ivy and Patriots would go to PG's Academic showcase in early June.

But how about the WWBA events?  I can't say I've ever seen these type schools (Ivy, Patriots, NESCACS) at a WWBA? 

Anyone?

#1 ASSISTANT COACH,

Yes those colleges attend WWBA.  They also attend several PG Showcases each year.  Not just the academic showcases.  Also, they are at most all the events we do in the NE.

Keep in mind that when there are a large number of very talented kids, many of these kids have great GPA's and test scores.  Ivy League schools, for example, have to find high academic kids, but they also want the best possible players they can get.  We have had many at our events get recruited by Ivy League schools and other top academic colleges. We have built very close relationships with many of those coaches.

When Joe Walsh (former long time Harvard coach) passed away, it devastated us. His assistant back then (Matt Hyde) now is a scout with the Yankees and runs the Yankees Area Code teams.  Those two, along with John Wilde who was a legendary man in the Cape Cod League, helped us get started in the NorthEast.  Since that time we have had a large number of players continue their baseball careers and education at Ivy League colleges and Patriot League colleges.

Maybe the best way to find out which events these colleges attend is to ask them?  BTW, many of these type programs travel the nation.  They recruit nationally so they can't just stay in the NE.  We have seen them at events in Georgia, Florida, the Midwest, Arizona and California.  They are looking for much more than the best students. They want the best players they can get.

RJM posted:

In the area do SelectFest and Atlantic 100 if your son can obtain the needed recommendations. Do Head First on LI, NY. Don't know the name but there's a showcase held at Manning Field in Lynn, MA almost all the New England colleges from D1 to D3 attend.

I would add in Area code game if you can get an Invite. My son did Selectfest, Alantic 100 and an area code all with in a two week time frame....he did also did the HF showcase.....these four led to many good opportunities. 

Regardless of where you go, if you're hoping for a D1 or D2, you've got to get going ......FAST!!!  For a 2017, there are very few D1 openings left.....most that had anything available have likely been filling spots pretty heavily the past 2-3 weeks.  There may be a few, but if there are ANY D1's he's interested in, your best bet would be to call them TODAY!!!   If they have any openings, find out where they'll be and just flat out ask if your son has a chance based on his measurables, etc.  At this point, if they have one spot left and it's for a CF, they'll tell you.  I don't mean to sound harse, but the questions you're asking are questions that should be being asked by a 2018....not a 2017.  You're very late in the process to be looking for opportunities at this point with no real plan.  Again, don't mean to sound bad, but fortunately for me I had a friend who had gone thru this with his son and also played with a great travel organization who walked us thru the process step by step starting his sophomore year.  Keep asking questions.....this is a great resource and you'll (sometimes unfortunately) get completely honest answers.  Good luck!!!

Attended Showball this week, I agree that this a great opportunity for players uncommitted. My son recently started pitching an inning or 2 in HS/Summer team, maybe out of necessity but pitched at Lakepoint and he was throwing 84-87 there and at Showball. He actually has had some interest from 3 schools as a MIF and possibly someone who can develop as  pitcher. Who knows??

But Showball gives a last push toward recruiting for kids that are still interested in playing at next level with competitive D3 schools and maybe something will come out of it!

A couple last minute visit/camp then that will have to take a backseat to Football for the summer. Keep you all posted and THANKS for all your suggestions and perspective!! 

2 takeaways:

1) Summer Team/Coach is important -not many work hard to get kids placed ,even if they are high profile. 

2) Grades really are important unless you are incredibly talented.

Cuchbyz,

Glad to hear your son got some D3 interest after attending Showball. 

You are correct, a summer coach can be an important addition to your son's hard work to reach out to coaches on his own.  Anything a summer coach can do (letters of recommendation, introductions) can be a "cherry on top" of a well run recruiting strategy by the player.  

D3's recruit, offer and admit differently than D1's.   So, you should familiarize yourself with the various conferences and schools to understand each situation.  If you don't know after researching the topic, go ahead and ask this board.   Lots of folks are here to help you.  Good luck.

Cuchbyz posted:

But Showball gives a last push toward recruiting for kids that are still interested in playing at next level with competitive D3 schools and maybe something will come out of it!

A couple last minute visit/camp then that will have to take a backseat to Football for the summer. Keep you all posted and THANKS for all your suggestions and perspective!!  

FWIW: we know of three players who committed to Patriot league schools during the fall of their senior year...AFTER they attended Headfirst on the Island (that's Long Island, you non-NYers). And it happened very quickly.

So a message to any 2017 not yet committed but considering Patriot and other high academic institutions: GET MOVING FAST TO SECURE A SPOT AT HEADFIRST.

Action Plan: sign up your son, drop him off, go to beach, come back to pick him up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.