Skip to main content

My 2017 RHP rec'd a verbal  offer from a small NAIA school last week and it is his first offer. Considering  how late in the process the first offer came, I am concerned about not taking it immediately. On the other hand, this school is a little farther from home than he'd like. Should we keep working for other offers or are we at the "take what you can get" stage?

Last edited by Jaguars17
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There isnt a lot of information in your post that we can really help you with. What exactly are you and your son looking for exactly in terms of baseball and scholarship. From a D1 2017 possibilty the door is virtually closed, not all the way, but virtually all the money so to speak is gone. It's still possible to be a recruited walk on from this point but early signing period for D1 is less than 3 weeks away. 

Lots of JUCO money still left for 2017 and there should be no stigma as it relates to baseball to help your son to continue to develop and fulfill his dream of playing at a school that he is hoping for in the future. 

I know the stress you are feeling. If I can be any more help, just ask. 

If what you're saying is, he's not got other baseball options, then it boils down to how interested he is in the school.  If the school is not right for him, then he should consider choosing his school the way any non-athlete would, and work on the assumption baseball won't be in the picture for him in college. 

That would leave the door open for other late opportunities, but he would have to accept that this spring might be his farewell tour in baseball.

I would encourage him to consider club teams and other options as a way to combine the right school with a baseball experience.  I know many guys who greatly enjoyed the club baseball experience as a way to avoid compromising on their school choice and still enjoy the game. 

If he is interested in D3's and JuCo's as good school fits for him, for those he is not late in the day at all, and that could still happen.

Thanks Dirk. We kind of assumed D1 was not an option at this stage. He is a late bloomer. He's 6'3" 220 and throws sidearm/crossfire, fast ball in the low 80's. He has a lot of movement on all of his pitches. His slider and change-up are very good. He just hasn't had a lot of exposure. He plays at a high school that has little exposure as well. I agree there is no shame in JUCO. The JUCO he wants has filled their 2017 roster and they are one of the best, if not THE best in this state (Alabama). We are looking at NAIA and other JUCO's. I think JUCO would be best for him given his late bloomer status. I feel like that will give him time to fully develop and hopefully go to D1 eventually. 

Juco puts u into a chance for a draft pick in your first two years of college . You can then move to a 4 year your junior or sophomore depending on what your goals are. 

What is your real plan on the whole process?

Have you been talking with pro scouts? Also remember some of these kids will get a draft pick and positions will open up. If your being  looked at and willing to wait and don't want to take what you consider a lower division. All phases of school are good just really depends on what you're looking for and  the direction  you plan on moving towards.

Remember look at all your options and stats on who is drafted and taken from what schools in MLB if that's your goal

Congratulations on the offer! Seems like a win considering where we are at w/recruiting timeline for a 2017

If your son is serious about playing college baseball seems like he would want to jump on that!

A suggestion, have your son contact the coach and schedule a visit right away  . Get on campus , sit in on class , check out the social scene , and of course the baseball dept.

he'll know what he wants to do after the visit

Just my 2 cents

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We are considering the offer and also looking at JUCO options. Any ideas on what date we should consider a drop dead date for making a decision? I don't think his current level of talent will get him drafted, he just wants to play in college, any college. He is anxious for other options. Frankly, so am I. 

Jaguars17 posted:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. We are considering the offer and also looking at JUCO options. Any ideas on what date we should consider a drop dead date for making a decision? I don't think his current level of talent will get him drafted, he just wants to play in college, any college. He is anxious for other options. Frankly, so am I. 

From a '17 recruiting standpoint, Your 'Drop dead date' is not your decision. The school that is offering will determine that. There is an expiration date on that offer. Your son needs to know when the deadline is.

It's late for a 2017. And don't forget , the coach that offered your son is talking to 3-4 other players about the same spot

just my opinion

My opinion on this is it's how you feel with the coach and the school. There are very few scholarships given for baseball at any level.

If your son wants to play and get better consider the school as what is their policy/norm that you have seen on playing freshman or sophomores for that matter.

We just signed, went the JUCO route and that was primarily based on the coaching staff, size of school for the first year and will stay in state but stay in dorm in a smaller town. This way gives him the chance to be on own, mature before he heads in whatever direction ball takes him

Good luck in your decision. This comes from a senior parent that has run the circuit of ball since our son was 8 and first started club ball.

Jaguars Jr, congrats on an offer!  Like others have said, visit the school.  Does your son have a particular line of study in mind?  My 2017 does not so he's going JUCO.  The JUCO's gave him until December 1 to make a decision, though over the past 6 weeks, the contact became more frequent.  Remember that the coaches need to know who's coming and how much money is left in their budget.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.