Skip to main content

2020 C/LF-  Still in winter workouts.  Tryouts first Monday in March.  He actually has a travel game this Friday night under the lights!  He is not the biggest kid in the world at 5'6 130 but his pop time is down already this spring to a 2.2's.  Receiving skills are outstanding.. Blocks like a maniac.

We only lost 3 seniors last year and went a few games into the district tournament ( I believe).  One of the lost was a pitcher who was selected 11th overall by LA.  So I am not sure if the team was successful or if it was all pitching that got us that far.

Excited for his first HS game!  Not sure when I will do once he stops playing ball whether its in HS, College or what ever level.  Love watching him play!

Kevin A posted:

2020 C/LF-  Still in winter workouts.  Tryouts first Monday in March.  He actually has a travel game this Friday night under the lights!  He is not the biggest kid in the world at 5'6 130 but his pop time is down already this spring to a 2.2's.  Receiving skills are outstanding.. Blocks like a maniac.

We only lost 3 seniors last year and went a few games into the district tournament ( I believe).  One of the lost was a pitcher who was selected 11th overall by LA.  So I am not sure if the team was successful or if it was all pitching that got us that far.

Excited for his first HS game!  Not sure when I will do once he stops playing ball whether its in HS, College or what ever level.  Love watching him play!

Welcome to the HSBaseballweb, Kevin A!!!

bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

No pressure, Coach! LoL 

Our top four pitchers are ACC, SEC, Big Ten (2018) & a top ten DII (two-way player) who had D1 offers. 

We also have three freshmen and sophomores starting on varsity. So, it's an interesting mixture of experience and youth.

The veteran staff has a 23 inning scoreless streak but we'll get tested this weekend in New Orleans. 

Last edited by hshuler
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Jeez.  Seems like some of the schools around here.  We're walking into battle with a grand zero signees.

The only upside is that we are a "big" school so we don't have to face Archbishop McCarthy and American Heritage. We're also not a "biggest" school, so we get to avoid Flannigan and Stoneman Douglas.

Glad to be in the sweet spot, because those teams are just brutal.

Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Jeez.  Seems like some of the schools around here.  We're walking into battle with a grand zero signees.

The only upside is that we are a "big" school so we don't have to face Archbishop McCarthy and American Heritage. We're also not a "biggest" school, so we get to avoid Flannigan and Stoneman Douglas.

That's the way it is for 2017's team too.  They have zero D1 commits and their top league rival has 5.  They also have tough non-league games and likely will face a potential high draft choice RHP in one of those.  Fortunately they play the game between the lines not on paper, so there may be some surprises.  And it's good to be the underdog - you have nothing to lose!

JCG posted:
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

That's the way it is for 2017's team too.  They have zero D1 commits and their top league rival has 5.  They also have tough non-league games and likely will face a potential high draft choice RHP in one of those.  Fortunately they play the game between the lines not on paper, so there may be some surprises.  And it's good to be the underdog - you have nothing to lose!

Son's schools Varsity squad has 3 D1 (two Sr one Jr) committed OF starters and 1 D1 committed substitute (Jr), 1 D1 committed (power 5 and draftable) IF, 2-3 more IF that will commit after the season to D1 schools, and then we have 4 committed D1 pitchers. 

Try cracking that roster!

JCG posted:
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

..except when you are the coach... and you do lose.

We had a major "roll over" with our roster for a variety of reasons going into last year.  We ended up with the youngest V team I have ever seen on a field.  Competed.  Lost a lot of 1-run games.  Didn't know how to close the deal.  Ended up a game below .500 and a game out of playoffs for the first time in a very long time.  If any neutral party looked at the roster, they would consider us the underdogs.  Yet, there were several camps that were muttering about us "under-performing".

We've been winning for a lot of years and we had one high profile returning P, so everyone just expected us to keep rolling... with two freshmen and six sophomores, most of whom had not played an inning of V baseball, typically in the starting mix. 

Last edited by cabbagedad
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Even those school names reek of studliness.

San Diego and Shuler -- goodness are you teams stacked ...  thought we were doing ok with the four D1 infielders (UCLA, Frenso, Baylor, St Marys) and two D1 outfielders (USF and St Marys) and two D1 level pitchers going to D3 route for academics.  

V happy to see the rain finally stop here CA -- we finally got our second scrimmage in last night against the team we faced in CCS finals last night.  My 2017 threw an inning and did well.  Season starts Friday...  I really love baseball. 

I'm astonished at the amount of stacked teams here.  My son's team has no one committed anywhere.  3 seniors total and one will only make it because we are down 2 catchers due to injury/health reasons.  We have what we consider to be a stacked junior class with probably 2 kids with D1 potential and 10 more with college potential.  And we are thrilled with that. 

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts. Games start the middle of March, but I'm really look forward to our Spring Break trip to Arizona at the end of March. We get to watch some high school baseball and my Cubbies play in Spring training. We seem to be perpetually rebuilding. We are not a strong baseball school, but we have some talented individuals. We only have a couple seniors committed to colleges. We are hoping to qualify for playoffs, which hasn't happened in years.

MAM posted:

San Diego and Shuler -- goodness are you teams stacked ...  thought we were doing ok with the four D1 infielders (UCLA, Frenso, Baylor, St Marys) and two D1 outfielders (USF and St Marys) and two D1 level pitchers going to D3 route for academics.  

V happy to see the rain finally stop here CA -- we finally got our second scrimmage in last night against the team we faced in CCS finals last night.  My 2017 threw an inning and did well.  Season starts Friday...  I really love baseball. 

My son is a freshman and although he loves his travel ball teammates, there's something special about the boys being around each other (school, clubhouse/locker room, bus trips) everyday. 

They even had breakfast together at Cracker Barrel (no school) and then all went to a teammates house Monday before they played. 

MAM posted:

Yeah, we're in Calif and have been seriously hampered by the rains.  It finally stopped Monday, ready to finally get on the field yesterday (Wednesday), only a SLIGHT chance of scattered showers.  I swear, a single big old cloud hovered the ballpark just before practice, hammered us with a HAIL shower and then just absolutely dumped for ten minutes...  full blue skies and sunshine as far as one could see in all directions except straight up.

It will be a few more days before we step on that mud puddle.  Should be good to go by Saturday.  First league game Tuesday.  Forecast for more rain Sunday/Monday.   

Golfman25 posted:

2018 catcher/infield.  Several Srs. in front of him, but he "ain't sitting."   Old coach quit.  Didn't find new coach until Dec.  Conference shake up -- smaller schools gone.  Now play 3 game series in one of the toughest baseball conferences.  New pitching rules -- not enough pitchers.  Might be a struggle.  Should be interesting.

And away we go. Tryouts start today.  Will be warm enough for the boys to get outside.  

kandkfunk posted:

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts.

KK, not sure if your area snowed or not, but we woke up to 2 inches of snow today morning. Fortunately temperature raised to above 36 gradually and snow stopped, so tryout probably will happen; not sure if they can, or should, throw as hard in such low temperature though.

2020 C/LF in PA

Well its here!  After weeks of voluntaries in the am and pm (sometimes both) tryouts are Monday!

My son has been catching a ton.  A few of the catchers have had to catch but T has been in the gear it seems every time they pitch.  They put the stud pitcher on him this week and he handled him pretty good he said.  Rumor has it he may have a chance of making Varsity as the second catcher which has him stoked.  Id rather him play JV and start every game down there.  But I don't make the calls so we will go with what ever happens.  Just stoked to get started with the tryouts on Monday!

Hopefully there are some good seniors on the team that can teach the underclassmen the finer points of  how a HS team works!

Kevin A posted:

2020 C/LF in PA

Well its here!  After weeks of voluntaries in the am and pm (sometimes both) tryouts are Monday!

My son has been catching a ton.  A few of the catchers have had to catch but T has been in the gear it seems every time they pitch.  They put the stud pitcher on him this week and he handled him pretty good he said.  Rumor has it he may have a chance of making Varsity as the second catcher which has him stoked.  Id rather him play JV and start every game down there.  But I don't make the calls so we will go with what ever happens.  Just stoked to get started with the tryouts on Monday!

Hopefully there are some good seniors on the team that can teach the underclassmen the finer points of  how a HS team works!

Oh, yeah, don't you worry.  You can count on the seniors teaching the underclassmen a thing or two. 

Uggh. Season starts Saturday. My 2018 will be sidelined (from the mound, at least, for maybe 2-3 weeks) with some back pain while he goes through traction therapy for a very slight bulging disc. Just found out yesterday that my #2 pitcher - and 2-hole hitter/3B - is academically ineligible and, because Spring Break starts Monday - won't be able to do anything about it for three weeks. 

Season is off and running but a little worried about run support.  2017 threw a very efficient 8 scoreless innings with zero walks (94 pitches - 27 batters - only 5 KO's strangely) - but ended up losing in 9th (2017 did not come out to pitch the 9th).  He told them at the start (jokingly) that he needed only 1 run, but it was not in the cards.

Big weekend with DH Friday and Saturday (Senior Day) but could be battling rain.

roothog66 posted:

Uggh. Season starts Saturday. My 2018 will be sidelined (from the mound, at least, for maybe 2-3 weeks) with some back pain while he goes through traction therapy for a very slight bulging disc. Just found out yesterday that my #2 pitcher - and 2-hole hitter/3B - is academically ineligible and, because Spring Break starts Monday - won't be able to do anything about it for three weeks. 

Ugh indeed!  What does it take in your district to be academically ineligible? 

CaCO3Girl posted:
roothog66 posted:

Ugh indeed!  What does it take in your district to be academically ineligible? 

Failing two courses. Grades can be evaluated on a weekly or semester basis (school has to pick one).

Bogeyorpar posted:
kandkfunk posted:

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts.

KK, not sure if your area snowed or not, but we woke up to 2 inches of snow today morning. Fortunately temperature raised to above 36 gradually and snow stopped, so tryout probably will happen; not sure if they can, or should, throw as hard in such low temperature though.

Luckily we dodged the snow last week, but got hit yesterday. It was a warm snow though and didn't impact school or practice. I'm so ready for the sun.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.