Skip to main content

We clinched a playoff spot! No kid on the roster has been to playoffs during their high school career. That's how long our program has been "rebuilding". It helps to have the kid who will most likely be the baseball state player of the year on your roster (not my kid). However, my kid did hit a 2-run dinger last night to win the game and help solidify our playoff ranking. 2 regular season games left and then playoff games start with a 32-team bracket. Pretty exciting and really hoping our record breaking period of rain is over.

MomLW posted:
cluelessDad2019 posted:

I haven't reported in all season, but RHP son had a break out season. He plays on JV, but was always that skinny kid who could occasionally throw well. By the end of the season (which ended last night) he was the tall skinny kid who could reliably dominate and win despite infield errors. He's worked hard over the winter and will continue to do so to move that success to V next year. Our JV was structured around pitchers only going 3 or 4 innings, but within those constraints he was terrific. What a difference a year makes. 

He's now 6 2 and weighs only 140 lbs, but he has developed a confidence this year I wasn't sure would ever emerge. Once or twice he started the game a little rough, but found a way to work himself into a groove and finish strong. He's one of the youngest sophomores in his class and he only started paying baseball when he was 12 so I'm terrifically proud of how he has fought to climb this mountain. He's not near the top of his mountain yet, but dang I'm happy for him.

On to summer ball!  Hope y'all have a good playoff run if you are lucky enough to be in it!

Good deal, ClueDad!  Glad to hear he's gaining confidence and doing well.  

+1

Tonight was senior night -- lots of mixed emotions.  Hard to believe that we have played out last regular season baseball game of his life.  Next week starts league playoffs (WCAL) and then onto CCS.  Came within a wisker of winning the regular season league champs (just one more sac fly away.). 

We are about half way through the season.  Team is 12-3 and has locked up top seed in our group for the state tournament that starts in a couple of week.  The program has undergone a remarkable turnaround over the past couple of seasons.  Two years ago the team won 4 games total and nobody could remember the last time we had beaten teams in our conference.  This year we are leading the conference.  The talent level is basically the same, but the HS coach who is in his second year has completely changed the culture.  My son is a 2018 who has been a varsity starter since his freshman year so he has experienced the transformation first hand.  It's been fun to watch and as a parent to support the new coach in what he is trying to accomplish.

Today was a busy day for 2018.  At noon we played in a district playoff game then prom tonight.  We won 10-1 in the district game and play in the final on Monday.  Son will be on the bump.  I am nervous as heck for him because winner gets the automatic berth to state.  The team they are facing is very good with 2 or 3 D1 kids on the roster.   I'm pretty sure there will be a fair number of scouts there.  It will be a good opportunity for him. 

LivingtheDream posted:

Today was a busy day for 2018.  At noon we played in a district playoff game then prom tonight.  We won 10-1 in the district game and play in the final on Monday.  Son will be on the bump.  I am nervous as heck for him because winner gets the automatic berth to state.  The team they are facing is very good with 2 or 3 D1 kids on the roster.   I'm pretty sure there will be a fair number of scouts there.  It will be a good opportunity for him. 

Best wishes to your son/his team?

Bogeyorpar posted:

Our regular season ended Monday, county playoff starts this Friday. This season was extremely cold and wet. It didn't help that a lot of schools scheduled games at night, adding to the darkness and coldness. 

Our team started off shaky, but ended up with a .500 winning record. Many games were decided by one pitch, one hit, or one error. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Keep my finger crossed. 

First round of playoff was single elimination. Our team, #6 and lowest ranked, eliminated the #3 seed. As I mentioned above, it's not surprising. It helped when one of our players, who had no hits the whole regular season, hit a triple and brought in two runs.

Second round is double elimination. First game, we faced the #1 team. It's a Saturday afternoon game and the sun actually came out. The stadium was close to the school, so it's packed. However, parents and relatives and schoolmates were shocked and dismayed when we lost the game 0-10, mercied in 6 innings.

Actually I think the coach used the correct strategy. He pitched our weakest pitchers against the #1 team. He must have calculated that we can't win this game, so let it go and take our chances on the next game, which is on tomorrow. Now we can pitch the strongest starter in the elimination game. Let's see if this strategy actually pays off.   

NEDAD18 posted:

We are about half way through the season.  Team is 12-3 and has locked up top seed in our group for the state tournament that starts in a couple of week.  The program has undergone a remarkable turnaround over the past couple of seasons.  Two years ago the team won 4 games total and nobody could remember the last time we had beaten teams in our conference.  This year we are leading the conference.  The talent level is basically the same, but the HS coach who is in his second year has completely changed the culture.  My son is a 2018 who has been a varsity starter since his freshman year so he has experienced the transformation first hand.  It's been fun to watch and as a parent to support the new coach in what he is trying to accomplish.

What did he do to change the culture?

NEDAD18 posted:

This sounds a lot like our program. The most games the team won during the last 3 seasons was 4. This year, we've won 10 and should (fingers crossed) pick up 2 more this week. With the best pitcher and hitter in the state on our roster (according to mid-season stats posted in our state's major paper), we could be make a run through the play offs. Or, we could be out in one game. It's baseball. You never know.

Good luck!

We will enter the playoffs as the #1 seed in the state. We won our conference championship game Saturday in an interesting fashion. My 2018 got the start and had his worst pitching performance in many years. Couldn't finish guys off. Hit two, walked four and gave up one seeing-eye single in 1.2 innings. Three of the four walks came after getting ahead 0-2. Then, after leaving the game in the second with two outs, men on second and third, and down 5-0, he takes over at first base and promptly drops a 5-3 ground out, allowing both runners to score and making it 7-0. 

However, it was the ultimate roller coaster ride for him. Our #2 came in and held them to one unearned run the rest of the way and we inched back into it and my son doubled to tie it a 8-all and then had a two-out, walk off single to win it in the bottom of the 8th.

roothog66 posted:

We will enter the playoffs as the #1 seed in the state. We won our conference championship game Saturday in an interesting fashion. My 2018 got the start and had his worst pitching performance in many years. Couldn't finish guys off. Hit two, walked four and gave up one seeing-eye single in 1.2 innings. Three of the four walks came after getting ahead 0-2. Then, after leaving the game in the second with two outs, men on second and third, and down 5-0, he takes over at first base and promptly drops a 5-3 ground out, allowing both runners to score and making it 7-0. 

However, it was the ultimate roller coaster ride for him. Our #2 came in and held them to one unearned run the rest of the way and we inched back into it and my son doubled to tie it a 8-all and then had a two-out, walk off single to win it in the bottom of the 8th.

Awesome.  Gotta love character building with a positive eventual outcome.

Golfman25 posted:
NEDAD18 posted:

What did he do to change the culture?

That's a good question.  My son attributes it to the intense preseason workouts that made the team bond  and become a more close knit group.  They now play much more as unit, they are much more resilient and compete all the time.  When something goes wrong they recover and move on, whereas in the past heads would drop and the wheels would fall off.  They can now come from behind and win close games.  There are also other factors.  Better in-game coaching and communication clearly helps - the coach is highly respected and knows what he is doing.  We're not deep at any position except pitching, but he plays the best players and they know that it is up to them to get it done.  Parents have pitched in and helped with equipment and facilities upgrades.  It also helps when a buzz starts to form around the program and younger kids come to watch.  The coach has gotten the players involved in the rec league which the younger kids love.  The baseball program now feels like a program and not a poor relation to other sports especially lax.

kandkfunk posted:
NEDAD18 posted:

This sounds a lot like our program. The most games the team won during the last 3 seasons was 4. This year, we've won 10 and should (fingers crossed) pick up 2 more this week. With the best pitcher and hitter in the state on our roster (according to mid-season stats posted in our state's major paper), we could be make a run through the play offs. Or, we could be out in one game. It's baseball. You never know.

Good luck!

Good luck the rest of the way!

Overlooked this thread, so quick overview.

Freshman son played JV all season.  Had a good year.  Really enjoyed being on the team.  None of the parent issues many post about.  Good time.  Went undefeated in district, then season over.

Son and one other freshman got called up to varsity, both as emergency pitchers.  Varsity tied for 1st in district with the #3 and #4 ranked team in state.  We were ranked #15.  Two really good starting pitchers, couple really big sluggers and then pretty average.  Won some tight ones with pitching and clutch hitting.  Won first playoff series last weekend, going three games.  Son warmed up in second game, so maybe not as far fetched that first varsity inning could be in a playoff series. This week, we play the #1 team in state.  We have a chance if our two starters hold up.  In Texas, you have to win six 3-game series to win 6A (largest class) state championship.  And then there are two champions for the state, they never meet.  Too many teams.  As it is, it runs until June 10th.

Son's having a blast "riding the bus" with the varsity players.  Said the next day, that was the most exciting sporting event he had been a part of.  Dad is enjoying seeing varsity baseball.

BTW, the state rankings of teams is far from scientific.  No way they could see all the teams and really rank them.  So #1 could be the tenth best in the state, vice versa.

Last edited by Go44dad
Go44dad posted:

Overlooked this thread, so quick overview.

Freshman son played JV all season.  Had a good year.  Really enjoyed being on the team.  None of the parent issues many post about.  Good time.  Went undefeated in district, then season over.

Son and one other freshman got called up to varsity, both as emergency pitchers.  Varsity tied for 1st in district with the #3 and #4 ranked team in state.  We were ranked #15.  Two really good starting pitchers, couple really big sluggers and then pretty average.  Won some tight ones with pitching and clutch hitting.  Won first playoff series last weekend, going three games.  Son warmed up in second game, so maybe not as far fetched that first varsity inning could be in a playoff series. This week, we play the #1 team in state.  We have a chance if our two starters hold up.  In Texas, you have to win six 3-game series to win 6A (largest class) state championship.  And then there are two champions for the state, they never meet.  Too many teams.  As it is, it runs until June 10th.

Son's having a blast "riding the bus" with the varsity players.  Said the next day, that was the most exciting sporting event he had been a part of.  Dad is enjoying seeing varsity baseball.

BTW, the state rankings of teams is far from scientific.  No way they could see all the teams and really rank them.  So #1 could be the tenth best in the state, vice versa.

Congratulations to your son.  I'm sure this is all very exciting.  This brings back exciting memories of my son who played varsity as a freshman and got to play in HS championship games, one of which was played at an MLB stadium where son was in aw of being on that field thinking about the MLB players who had been standing on the very spot he was playing on or the spot in the dugout where he was sitting and who had drank out of the same drinking fountain.  Great times for a Freshman player.  As so many have said in the past around here... these time goes by so fast and one should savor them.  The experience should bring more good times for your son.

nxt lvl posted:

I like that strategy too Bogey. Especially if they pitched their number one. Now he is out of the way and you still have your number one to use. IT works as long as your guy is good next game and your bats come alive....keep us posted

Unfortunately the strategy did not work out as planned. We pitched our Ace last night, but somehow the other team found the bat -- a couple guys  went 3 for 3 or 4 for 4; many grounders found the mif gap, and many fly balls dropped between OFs. Anyway, we lost the game and our playoff is over. 

Son told me many seniors cried on the bus home. To them, senior day wasn't the last game; this one was. 

Well, the old heap finally ran out of gas last night.

After a couple of days of rain, the district championship was played on Saturday. Ended up losing to a team that is currently 22-3, so I guess no shame in that.

Moved on to the regional quarterfinals yesterday and had to face the champion from the neighboring district.  Had one bad inning where 5 runs scored.  Ended up losing 5-2. Son was in the on deck circle as the tying run when the game ended.

Given all of the upheaval at the program over the last year, a new coaching staff, and only returning one starter - the team really exceeded all expectations.

And the playoffs have started:  First our league and then sectionals.  California doesn't have a "state" tournament.   Won our first league playoff game last night but tonight face our arch rivals who have played us tough all four years of my son's high school career.  Should be a good game tonight over at Santa Clara University.  Hard to believe we are now in the one and done time and with my son being a senior -- I'm enjoying every last second.

Senior day today for 2017.  Bittersweet for the parents for sure.  

My biggest worry should  be that I'll not throw a scud when we do the traditional "Dad throws first pitch to son" thing in the pregame ceremonies.  But it's been a bumpy ride this season in a number of ways, and the boys really need a win today to cement their hold on 2nd place in league and set up favorable seeding for section.

MAM - why do they do a neutral venue?  

(great venue but I'd assume one of the teams deserves to play at home)

Last edited by JCG
MAM posted:

And the playoffs have started:  First our league and then sectionals.  California doesn't have a "state" tournament.   Won our first league playoff game last night but tonight face our arch rivals who have played us tough all four years of my son's high school career.  Should be a good game tonight over at Santa Clara University.  Hard to believe we are now in the one and done time and with my son being a senior -- I'm enjoying every last second.

(Lots of memories from many my 2010 son's HS games at Schott Stadium  )  

<- Rolls eyes at Shu

Shu complaining about how tired he is because of the playoff games is like hearing a billionaire complaining about all the paper cuts he got from counting his money......Please!

Hehe- We had to sneak into counties by less than a point.  A POINT!  And with a week to go in districts that is up in the air too!  

In a few days he is going to be complaining how tired he is from being up all night celebrating a state title.  LOL

Good luck....lol

Kevin A posted:

<- Rolls eyes at Shu

Shu complaining about how tired he is because of the playoff games is like hearing a billionaire complaining about all the paper cuts he got from counting his money......Please!

Hehe- We had to sneak into counties by less than a point.  A POINT!  And with a week to go in districts that is up in the air too!  

In a few days he is going to be complaining how tired he is from being up all night celebrating a state title.  LOL

Good luck....lol

Thanks - I was talking "mentally" exhausted.  LoL 

Boys didn't get home till 1:30ish so school should be fun today. 

Congrats and good luck you guys as well. 

Won a nail bitter last night... 4-3 with a walk-off single in the bottom of the 7th.  So enjoying the last little bits of high school baseball and know how long these memories will last with my son.  Tonight's game is for the league championship and then onto state sectionals next week.  #funtimes

roothog66 posted:

Our playoff brackets just came out. 32 teams. The first two rounds are single elimination and then the eight "pod" winners move on to a double-elim tournament. We finished 18-1 and grabbed the #1 seed and in our second round game we would get the only team that beat us this year if they win. Redemption awaits.

We are CO boys as well. Playing in the 5A tourney this weekend. Was surprised to hear you say that, as a 1 seed, you might have to play the only team that beat you guys this year. Checked out the RPI and it looks like they made a geographic or league change that put them in your pool. I am betting that your son and his teammates are hoping that Sterling wins the game, setting up a rematch. Ought to be fun! Best of luck to you guys this weekend!

Since I've sharing updates, I'll keep going (not my norm)...  Super fun game to watch last night as my son's high school won their league championship 4-3.  Clean, well played game with a lot of small ball, good defense and good pitching.  Beat a team that was on a 10 game winning streak.  Back to back championships.  Next week is sectionals.  Best part of all this is the memories that he is capturing and I hope will remember forever.  Like most people, I still remember winning some big games (in soccer) way back when.  So nice to just enjoy the game and not stress about college recruiting and everything else. 

We move on, but not without a ton of drama. We play the first two rounds of our 32-team state playoff in pods of four teams ranked 1-32. As the #1 seed in state, we got a home pod. Our first game was against the bottom seed and it went as expected. We put up 20 runs in the first and sailed to a 35-0 win. Our #3 started the game and threw a no-hitter. However, the other team did put two guys on in the final inning and used a sac bunt to put runners 1&3 and then stole home to break up the shutout. They were were quite excited.

The second game got off to a rocky start and there were doubts that we'd play it at all. Before the game, while working on the field, our principal went down along the third base line and was unconscious for about ten minutes. He was unresponsive to CPR. Eventually, he was life-flighted out to Colorado Springs. Heart attack. He's resting comfortably.

So, we played the only team that beat us this year. They put it to us 14-7 in the second game of the year. Since then, we had won 18 in a row. My son started the game and out them down 1-2-3 in he top of the first. We put up three in our half and looked well on the way to redemption. My son didn't quite have the velocity or control he'd like and ran into some problems, but we were scoring easily enough. He left the game with two down in the sixth (PC limit), one on and an 11-7 lead. Our #2 came in in relief and promptly gave up a 2-run shot to left center field to pull within two. We went scoreless in the bottom of six, so went to the seventh up by two. Our closer comes in and K's the first batter. Then he K's the second on a curve in the dirt that gets by the catcher and the runner reaches first. Two walks and a ground out later, the bases are juiced with two away and a 3-2 count. The batter promptly lines a double over the left fielder's head to give them the lead 12-11. In the bottom of the seventh, we have the top of the order up. The first two guys ground out weakly to second bringing up our 3-hole guy. This guy is a senior who came into his own this year. Having never hit a home run in his life, he had seven this year (he hit one earlier in this game) and leads the stat at all classifications with 44 rbi in 20 games. The count works to 3-2 and, looking at perhaps the last pitch he'll ever see in organized baseball, he deposits one over the center field fence to tie the game. 

They put up one in the top of the eighth, but we come back and tie it with a walk, a hbp, and a shot to left that the left fielder can't pull down. With runners at 2&3 and no outs, they intentionally walk the #8 hitter and out our #9 at the plate. After he dives out of the way of the potential game-winning hbp curve heading right for his hip, he pops up to the first baseman. Now, they have the infield in, with the right fielder now pulled into the infield, and left and center shallow. Our lead off guy rips one into center for the win. 14-13 to avenge our only loss on the season and we head to the final eight. Forecast for Friday - 48 degrees and rain.

roothog66 posted:

We move on, but not without a ton of drama. We play the first two rounds of our 32-team state playoff in pods of four teams ranked 1-32. As the #1 seed in state, we got a home pod. Our first game was against the bottom seed and it went as expected. We put up 20 runs in the first and sailed to a 35-0 win. Our #3 started the game and threw a no-hitter. However, the other team did put two guys on in the final inning and used a sac bunt to put runners 1&3 and then stole home to break up the shutout. They were were quite excited.

The second game got off to a rocky start and there were doubts that we'd play it at all. Before the game, while working on the field, our principal went down along the third base line and was unconscious for about ten minutes. He was unresponsive to CPR. Eventually, he was life-flighted out to Colorado Springs. Heart attack. He's resting comfortably.

So, we played the only team that beat us this year. They put it to us 14-7 in the second game of the year. Since then, we had won 18 in a row. My son started the game and out them down 1-2-3 in he top of the first. We put up three in our half and looked well on the way to redemption. My son didn't quite have the velocity or control he'd like and ran into some problems, but we were scoring easily enough. He left the game with two down in the sixth (PC limit), one on and an 11-7 lead. Our #2 came in in relief and promptly gave up a 2-run shot to left center field to pull within two. We went scoreless in the bottom of six, so went to the seventh up by two. Our closer comes in and K's the first batter. Then he K's the second on a curve in the dirt that gets by the catcher and the runner reaches first. Two walks and a ground out later, the bases are juiced with two away and a 3-2 count. The batter promptly lines a double over the left fielder's head to give them the lead 12-11. In the bottom of the seventh, we have the top of the order up. The first two guys ground out weakly to second bringing up our 3-hole guy. This guy is a senior who came into his own this year. Having never hit a home run in his life, he had seven this year (he hit one earlier in this game) and leads the stat at all classifications with 44 rbi in 20 games. The count works to 3-2 and, looking at perhaps the last pitch he'll ever see in organized baseball, he deposits one over the center field fence to tie the game. 

They put up one in the top of the eighth, but we come back and tie it with a walk, a hbp, and a shot to left that the left fielder can't pull down. With runners at 2&3 and no outs, they intentionally walk the #8 hitter and out our #9 at the plate. After he dives out of the way of the potential game-winning hbp curve heading right for his hip, he pops up to the first baseman. Now, they have the infield in, with the right fielder now pulled into the infield, and left and center shallow. Our lead off guy rips one into center for the win. 14-13 to avenge our only loss on the season and we head to the final eight. Forecast for Friday - 48 degrees and rain.

First off, glad to hear that your principal is doing well. 

Secondly, what a game! That had to be extremely intense - congrats!

Last edited by hshuler

Keep the updates coming. I'm living through them as we wait for play offs to start on 5/22. Technically, we have a "down" week this week, but we've picked up two games as long as the weather holds out. We have played one less game than what we are are allowed to play because of early season rain outs. We can also play one extra game as a fundraiser. They should be interesting because we'll be resting our ace, so my son and the other starter will likely get the starts this week. When we do play our first play off game in seven years next Monday, my son will be playing against one of his summer ball teammates. It should be fun. 

kandkfunk posted:

Keep the updates coming. I'm living through them as we wait for play offs to start on 5/22. Technically, we have a "down" week this week, but we've picked up two games as long as the weather holds out. We have played one less game than what we are are allowed to play because of early season rain outs. We can also play one extra game as a fundraiser. They should be interesting because we'll be resting our ace, so my son and the other starter will likely get the starts this week. When we do play our first play off game in seven years next Monday, my son will be playing against one of his summer ball teammates. It should be fun. 

Good luck!

roothog66 posted:

We move on, but not without a ton of drama.

Holy Krap, Root.  Hilarious to potentially tragic to my blood pressure was rising with every step in the revenge game.  Nice W!

We had our senior game Thursday.  Already clinched 2nd in a large league and decent playoff spot going in, playing a lower finishing team, so should be fairly uneventful.  Two seniors.  One is a P and got the start.  WE hit a lot of hard balls right at but still had a comfortable 7-2 lead going into the last.  The other senior is our CF and leadoff and NOT a pitcher but has thrown a few pens in the hopes he would get one hitter before his HS career ended.  We put him in for the last out ( that was the thought, anyway).  Pretty good size crowd.  Nervous warm-ups, not very many strikes.  Walks the first guy on four pitches.  Threw a strike, then walked the second guy.  Now, there is a bit of fun banter going back and forth between dugouts.  Ball one, ball two.  Shoot, I'm gonna have to pull him.  Throws ball three in the dirt... I'm stepping out of the dugout as the ball scoots away from the catcher, R2 bolts for third, catcher tracks down the ball and guns him for the final out.  The dugout erupts as if we had just won a title and mobs the senior pitcher, who couldn't have possibly sucked any more on the bump.  

Last edited by cabbagedad

We had our senior night last Tuesday. My son is a 2018, but the team is largely seniors. Each kid walks out with their family and the announcer reads a little blurb about the player, including their post high school plans and favorite high school baseball memory. The last senior to come out was a kid who doesn't really play, but has a great attitude about it. His favorite high school baseball memory was having a great seat in the dugout for his senior season and being able to watch each game from a prime position on the bench. I'm dying laughing. I look over at our coaching staff and each coach is cracking up. Needless to say, the kid got to pinch hit during game. Made good contact, but hit it right at the Center fielder. Was all smiles after the at bat though. 

MomLW posted:

Won today 9-8, so headed to the semis of our state playoffs.  These boys have some fight in them!

Update:  We lost our semi-final game.  Really proud of these kids, however.  This was a true rebuilding year, and I think many of us were just hoping that we wouldn't be under .500, so getting as far as we did was a triumph in itself.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.