Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MomLW posted:

I am really excited for the season to start...

Roll call...

I have a 2019 catcher on high school varsity.  Won State last year, now "rebuilding."  A lot of new starters this year.  First game against another school on 2/23.  What about the rest of you?

I have a 2020 C, RHP, OF on JV, first game is tomorrow

Youngest son is a 2017 and one of only 2 returning starters, so it looks like a rebuilding year, but you never know. With promising younger guys and older guys who'll finally get their chance, maybe they can surprise everyone and win league for 3rd time over my son's 4 years on the team.  It'll be fun no matter what -- unless the season gets wiped out by the continuing deluge hitting the left coast.

Oldest (2017) and second oldest (2019) are on Varsity together, which if only for convenience sake is great, since 7th grader is playing for the school's intermediate team now, too.  Lots of seniors on vars but not much depth and our pitching is suspect, so we'll see.  1-1 so far in preseason tournament games, and have another tournament this weekend.

Last edited by smokeminside

2018 catcher/infield.  Several Srs. in front of him, but he "ain't sitting."   Old coach quit.  Didn't find new coach until Dec.  Conference shake up -- smaller schools gone.  Now play 3 game series in one of the toughest baseball conferences.  New pitching rules -- not enough pitchers.  Might be a struggle.  Should be interesting.

2020 P/IF on JV.  Played 3rd scrimmage last night. (Played at Deer Park HS, Andy Pettitte's old school.  Thanks Andy for the wonderful field).  No kid has pitched more than one inning, lots of rotation in the field. To be 15 again, hanging with your teammates, bus rides across town, getting to play baseball.  Definitely having fun.

Will catch some varsity games if we can.  District has the number one and five preseason teams in Texas in largest class.  Should be some good baseball.

Season starts March 13th. Coach is in his 3 year with only two wins so far. So no expectations to say the least. Hopefully son can miss enough bats this year to get a few wins. He's a 2019 and a returning starter so he's a lot more relaxed not being the new kid. I'm just hoping his arm feels good heading into summer ball lol. At least we have a couple stud players in our district that will be fun to watch. 

After taking off last spring and missing the program's implosion, my 2017 is back with the team and trying to help get it heading back in the right direction.

It's not a young team, but most of the players have limited experience at the varsity level.  My son was elected team captain, and he is trying to set an example of how things should be done as opposed to how they had been done for the last couple of years.

Most of all he is looking to have fun this season, regardless of the record.

My 2017 had their first scrimmage last night with our second scrimmage coming up on Friday against the team we beat to win CIF-CCS last year.  We lost our stud to UCLA but we are returning 12 seniors/Juniors that were either starters or saw significant playing time last year.  Of those -- 6 are D1 commits, 2 have D1 walk-on spots, and 3 are set to play for quality D3 programs.  The boys are hoping for a 3-peat for the CCS championship.  

Regardless -- just  going to enjoy watching my son play out his last year in high school. Watching game be streamed over the Internet next year won't be nearly as much fun. 

2019 LHP/1b on varsity with 2 strong senior leaders but most of those expected to contribute will come from his sophomore class. These kids have won state titles in little league and county titles in middle school, so looking to make the state tournament this year in a year where it seems most schools had a big senior class last year and are rebuilding

2020Mom posted:

2020 LHP/1B with tryouts this Saturday unless the weatherman's prediction of heavy rain comes true!  Cannot wait for his first HS season no matter which team he ends up on.  First game scheduled on 2-28 so they don't have much time to select the team and get practicing.

Tell him to take a raincoat!

From here, BTW;  great blog if you like reading and/or knowing about weather.  http://weatherwest.com/

Tryouts next week, but 2017 still playing in playoffs of his winter sport.  Returning numerous (more than needed for a line up) seniors, but none but ours will be going on to play collegiately, most should not even start but our coach is sentimental for the seniors.  We should have 3-4 sophomores, 1 freshman and 1 junior starting in the field, but it will probably be 7/8 seniors.  The underclassmen may not even make varsity despite being better. Come on coach, I want to win my son's last year!

CaCO3Girl posted:
Metsman79 posted:

This is my son's senior year.  He set the single season homerun record for his school last year (10).  Hopefully he can top that this year and the team wins some games.  We don't start practices in NJ until March 3rd.

Wow, JV is over on 3/31 in GA. Tryouts were the week of 1/16

Tryouts don't start here in NY until 3/13 - they won't have their first game until your JV season is over.  This will be my first year without a son on our HS team in 5 years as 2016 has gone off to school and my 2020 will be playing Lacrosse.  He was on the fence about trying out for JV baseball and then the hoops coach (who also coaches Lax) convinced him they really needed some big kids on defense on lax.  At 6'2" and 200lbs as of yesterday's physical he'll be the largest kid on lax by far.   

2018 RHP in Nebraska.  It is 70 degrees today and I am dying to be at the field.  But alas, tryouts don't start until 2/27 and first game 3/16.  At which point it will be back to 45.  Son is top returning pitcher on varsity.  It's kind of nice this year that there is no nervousness about which team he will be on.  Coach is grooming him to lead this year and next.  Hopefully he is up to the challenge.  Very excited to see this season play out.  His team will be very young but much improved.  The talent level is much higher than it has been for probably 5 years.  And even though they are young there are 7 returning starters from last year's varsity team.  Only 1 of which is a senior this year.  Jealous of all of you who get to watch your sons already.  But it won't be long and we'll be off and running till August.

California.  We don't do rain well.  This is shaping up to be the wettest winter on record.  EVER.  More in the forecast every day between now and next Wednesday.  I'm sitting at my office desk, looking out the window, watching the sideways wind and rain lift the entire corner of the roof of the large industrial building next door.  Our lone scrimmage is scheduled for Friday and we start league the following Tuesday.  I think we've been on our field a total of two full days and may not get on it again before first game.  

This only happens here every... , well, never, so we don't have "alternative" covered facilities.  One gym and that is reserved this time of year for boys VB and local rec basketball.   We're gonna walk thru 1st/3rd offense and defense today in a classroom or in my living room .  Could be an ugly start.  That's OK.  I just hope we GET to start.

Just so bizarre... 3 months ago, we feared that if we didn't get significant rain, the six year drought would reach epic proportions.  Today, we fear that if we get any more significant rain, the flooding and mud slides can reach epic proportions.

Good luck, everyone.  

Last edited by cabbagedad

2017 and 2019 had their second game together tonight, and second win.  Seniors starting 5-7 positions depending on Coach's decisions.  2017 starting in left so far this year was 1-2 with a stolen base and run scored. 2019 Dh'd tonight and made good contact, so we'll see if that lasts.  Games tomorrow and Monday (Preseason tournament), then opening league play next Friday night on TV against arch rivals.  Things are heating up.

Last edited by smokeminside

Here in Seattle suburb, tryout will start 2/27. Weather doesn't look too promising, but that's expected.

Our high school's tryout is interesting. After 3 day tryout, Freshmen team will be set, but JV and V will have a combined roster of 30-35. JV and V will take practice together the rest of the week. On Saturday 3/4, they'll split the team into two and do a scrimmage. After that, the JV and V roster will be decided.

Any other schools doing this kind of elaborate tryouts?

Yesterday I drove an hour and a half to the team's first scrimmage, which started 2 hours late and lasted 11 innings. It was cloudy, wet, and cold, and I was too stupid to bring enough layers, so I was numb for hours after getting home. The team played just OK and my 2017 looked rusty. 

And still, I woke up this morning thinking yeah, that was great, let's get out there again!

Weather has been shorts/ t shirt weather here too. Gotta love the southeast (until the summer anyway)

We are 4 scrimmages deep into the season. One more today, then the regular season starts first week of March. Down to the coast for a tournament the second week of March. Hopefully the nice weather holds out. My 2018 is the incumbent starting first baseman. His team has won their district the past two seasons, but we bumped up to a higher classification this year, and while we are still very talented, we are very young on the infield (JR ,Soph, Soph, Fresh). Our pitching is going to require strong infield defense, so if they can hold up, we might be pretty good. We are strong offensively top to bottom, so I could see us winning a bunch of 10-8 games. I guess we'll see though....

We started tryouts yesterday. My son didnt sleep all Sunday. His friends were over and they were jacked also. They cant wait to get on the field again. Weather here has been very nice.  Should be nice all week  for first live scimmage game Saturday!!

Cant wait to watch my boy play again.....Trying to slow things down and really enjoy the last two years

2020 C/LF-  Still in winter workouts.  Tryouts first Monday in March.  He actually has a travel game this Friday night under the lights!  He is not the biggest kid in the world at 5'6 130 but his pop time is down already this spring to a 2.2's.  Receiving skills are outstanding.. Blocks like a maniac.

We only lost 3 seniors last year and went a few games into the district tournament ( I believe).  One of the lost was a pitcher who was selected 11th overall by LA.  So I am not sure if the team was successful or if it was all pitching that got us that far.

Excited for his first HS game!  Not sure when I will do once he stops playing ball whether its in HS, College or what ever level.  Love watching him play!

Kevin A posted:

2020 C/LF-  Still in winter workouts.  Tryouts first Monday in March.  He actually has a travel game this Friday night under the lights!  He is not the biggest kid in the world at 5'6 130 but his pop time is down already this spring to a 2.2's.  Receiving skills are outstanding.. Blocks like a maniac.

We only lost 3 seniors last year and went a few games into the district tournament ( I believe).  One of the lost was a pitcher who was selected 11th overall by LA.  So I am not sure if the team was successful or if it was all pitching that got us that far.

Excited for his first HS game!  Not sure when I will do once he stops playing ball whether its in HS, College or what ever level.  Love watching him play!

Welcome to the HSBaseballweb, Kevin A!!!

bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

No pressure, Coach! LoL 

Our top four pitchers are ACC, SEC, Big Ten (2018) & a top ten DII (two-way player) who had D1 offers. 

We also have three freshmen and sophomores starting on varsity. So, it's an interesting mixture of experience and youth.

The veteran staff has a 23 inning scoreless streak but we'll get tested this weekend in New Orleans. 

Last edited by hshuler
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Jeez.  Seems like some of the schools around here.  We're walking into battle with a grand zero signees.

The only upside is that we are a "big" school so we don't have to face Archbishop McCarthy and American Heritage. We're also not a "biggest" school, so we get to avoid Flannigan and Stoneman Douglas.

Glad to be in the sweet spot, because those teams are just brutal.

Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Jeez.  Seems like some of the schools around here.  We're walking into battle with a grand zero signees.

The only upside is that we are a "big" school so we don't have to face Archbishop McCarthy and American Heritage. We're also not a "biggest" school, so we get to avoid Flannigan and Stoneman Douglas.

That's the way it is for 2017's team too.  They have zero D1 commits and their top league rival has 5.  They also have tough non-league games and likely will face a potential high draft choice RHP in one of those.  Fortunately they play the game between the lines not on paper, so there may be some surprises.  And it's good to be the underdog - you have nothing to lose!

JCG posted:
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

That's the way it is for 2017's team too.  They have zero D1 commits and their top league rival has 5.  They also have tough non-league games and likely will face a potential high draft choice RHP in one of those.  Fortunately they play the game between the lines not on paper, so there may be some surprises.  And it's good to be the underdog - you have nothing to lose!

Son's schools Varsity squad has 3 D1 (two Sr one Jr) committed OF starters and 1 D1 committed substitute (Jr), 1 D1 committed (power 5 and draftable) IF, 2-3 more IF that will commit after the season to D1 schools, and then we have 4 committed D1 pitchers. 

Try cracking that roster!

JCG posted:
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

..except when you are the coach... and you do lose.

We had a major "roll over" with our roster for a variety of reasons going into last year.  We ended up with the youngest V team I have ever seen on a field.  Competed.  Lost a lot of 1-run games.  Didn't know how to close the deal.  Ended up a game below .500 and a game out of playoffs for the first time in a very long time.  If any neutral party looked at the roster, they would consider us the underdogs.  Yet, there were several camps that were muttering about us "under-performing".

We've been winning for a lot of years and we had one high profile returning P, so everyone just expected us to keep rolling... with two freshmen and six sophomores, most of whom had not played an inning of V baseball, typically in the starting mix. 

Last edited by cabbagedad
Rob T posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Yes the same team....

Even those school names reek of studliness.

San Diego and Shuler -- goodness are you teams stacked ...  thought we were doing ok with the four D1 infielders (UCLA, Frenso, Baylor, St Marys) and two D1 outfielders (USF and St Marys) and two D1 level pitchers going to D3 route for academics.  

V happy to see the rain finally stop here CA -- we finally got our second scrimmage in last night against the team we faced in CCS finals last night.  My 2017 threw an inning and did well.  Season starts Friday...  I really love baseball. 

I'm astonished at the amount of stacked teams here.  My son's team has no one committed anywhere.  3 seniors total and one will only make it because we are down 2 catchers due to injury/health reasons.  We have what we consider to be a stacked junior class with probably 2 kids with D1 potential and 10 more with college potential.  And we are thrilled with that. 

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts. Games start the middle of March, but I'm really look forward to our Spring Break trip to Arizona at the end of March. We get to watch some high school baseball and my Cubbies play in Spring training. We seem to be perpetually rebuilding. We are not a strong baseball school, but we have some talented individuals. We only have a couple seniors committed to colleges. We are hoping to qualify for playoffs, which hasn't happened in years.

MAM posted:

San Diego and Shuler -- goodness are you teams stacked ...  thought we were doing ok with the four D1 infielders (UCLA, Frenso, Baylor, St Marys) and two D1 outfielders (USF and St Marys) and two D1 level pitchers going to D3 route for academics.  

V happy to see the rain finally stop here CA -- we finally got our second scrimmage in last night against the team we faced in CCS finals last night.  My 2017 threw an inning and did well.  Season starts Friday...  I really love baseball. 

My son is a freshman and although he loves his travel ball teammates, there's something special about the boys being around each other (school, clubhouse/locker room, bus trips) everyday. 

They even had breakfast together at Cracker Barrel (no school) and then all went to a teammates house Monday before they played. 

MAM posted:

Yeah, we're in Calif and have been seriously hampered by the rains.  It finally stopped Monday, ready to finally get on the field yesterday (Wednesday), only a SLIGHT chance of scattered showers.  I swear, a single big old cloud hovered the ballpark just before practice, hammered us with a HAIL shower and then just absolutely dumped for ten minutes...  full blue skies and sunshine as far as one could see in all directions except straight up.

It will be a few more days before we step on that mud puddle.  Should be good to go by Saturday.  First league game Tuesday.  Forecast for more rain Sunday/Monday.   

Golfman25 posted:

2018 catcher/infield.  Several Srs. in front of him, but he "ain't sitting."   Old coach quit.  Didn't find new coach until Dec.  Conference shake up -- smaller schools gone.  Now play 3 game series in one of the toughest baseball conferences.  New pitching rules -- not enough pitchers.  Might be a struggle.  Should be interesting.

And away we go. Tryouts start today.  Will be warm enough for the boys to get outside.  

kandkfunk posted:

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts.

KK, not sure if your area snowed or not, but we woke up to 2 inches of snow today morning. Fortunately temperature raised to above 36 gradually and snow stopped, so tryout probably will happen; not sure if they can, or should, throw as hard in such low temperature though.

2020 C/LF in PA

Well its here!  After weeks of voluntaries in the am and pm (sometimes both) tryouts are Monday!

My son has been catching a ton.  A few of the catchers have had to catch but T has been in the gear it seems every time they pitch.  They put the stud pitcher on him this week and he handled him pretty good he said.  Rumor has it he may have a chance of making Varsity as the second catcher which has him stoked.  Id rather him play JV and start every game down there.  But I don't make the calls so we will go with what ever happens.  Just stoked to get started with the tryouts on Monday!

Hopefully there are some good seniors on the team that can teach the underclassmen the finer points of  how a HS team works!

Kevin A posted:

2020 C/LF in PA

Well its here!  After weeks of voluntaries in the am and pm (sometimes both) tryouts are Monday!

My son has been catching a ton.  A few of the catchers have had to catch but T has been in the gear it seems every time they pitch.  They put the stud pitcher on him this week and he handled him pretty good he said.  Rumor has it he may have a chance of making Varsity as the second catcher which has him stoked.  Id rather him play JV and start every game down there.  But I don't make the calls so we will go with what ever happens.  Just stoked to get started with the tryouts on Monday!

Hopefully there are some good seniors on the team that can teach the underclassmen the finer points of  how a HS team works!

Oh, yeah, don't you worry.  You can count on the seniors teaching the underclassmen a thing or two. 

Uggh. Season starts Saturday. My 2018 will be sidelined (from the mound, at least, for maybe 2-3 weeks) with some back pain while he goes through traction therapy for a very slight bulging disc. Just found out yesterday that my #2 pitcher - and 2-hole hitter/3B - is academically ineligible and, because Spring Break starts Monday - won't be able to do anything about it for three weeks. 

Season is off and running but a little worried about run support.  2017 threw a very efficient 8 scoreless innings with zero walks (94 pitches - 27 batters - only 5 KO's strangely) - but ended up losing in 9th (2017 did not come out to pitch the 9th).  He told them at the start (jokingly) that he needed only 1 run, but it was not in the cards.

Big weekend with DH Friday and Saturday (Senior Day) but could be battling rain.

roothog66 posted:

Uggh. Season starts Saturday. My 2018 will be sidelined (from the mound, at least, for maybe 2-3 weeks) with some back pain while he goes through traction therapy for a very slight bulging disc. Just found out yesterday that my #2 pitcher - and 2-hole hitter/3B - is academically ineligible and, because Spring Break starts Monday - won't be able to do anything about it for three weeks. 

Ugh indeed!  What does it take in your district to be academically ineligible? 

CaCO3Girl posted:
roothog66 posted:

Failing two courses. Grades can be evaluated on a weekly or semester basis (school has to pick one).

Bogeyorpar posted:
kandkfunk posted:

2018 LHP/OF will be starting his 2nd varsity season on Monday 2/27. Forecasters are calling for more snow starting on Friday. Fingers crossed it doesn't stick. It's been a rough winter for these parts.

KK, not sure if your area snowed or not, but we woke up to 2 inches of snow today morning. Fortunately temperature raised to above 36 gradually and snow stopped, so tryout probably will happen; not sure if they can, or should, throw as hard in such low temperature though.

Luckily we dodged the snow last week, but got hit yesterday. It was a warm snow though and didn't impact school or practice. I'm so ready for the sun.

roothog66 posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
roothog66 posted:

Failing two courses. Grades can be evaluated on a weekly or semester basis (school has to pick one).

Same in GA. When I was a kid I could have sworn it was "passing ALL courses".

My son was ineligible to play his Sophomore year.  Was a shame, because he was the one piece they needed to win.  The team made it to the North 2 Group 2 sectional final here in NJ in 2015 and lost.  The next year his Junior year he broke the single season record for homeruns at his school (10) and finished 2nd in the state and also was in the top 5 in RBIs (37) in the state while also batting .455.  This is his Senior year now.

Metsman79 posted:

My son was ineligible to play his Sophomore year.  Was a shame, because he was the one piece they needed to win.  The team made it to the North 2 Group 2 sectional final here in NJ in 2015 and lost.  The next year his Junior year he broke the single season record for homeruns at his school (10) and finished 2nd in the state and also was in the top 5 in RBIs (37) in the state while also batting .455.  This is his Senior year now.

Curious... was he ineligible due to grades or behavior?  If so, was being ineligible a "light bulb" moment for him?

roothog66 posted:

Colorado - 19 games. Upped from 18 in the past. Funny thing is that even as late as the playoffs, we can be dodging snow and attending games in full coats.

Ouch!

Our state c'ship series is a doubleheader on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and the if game on Memorial Day. By then, it will be 90+ degrees here. 

My 2017 picked up his first "official" varsity win last night.

Since the beginning, he has always been the team's closer - so opportunities for a win aren't common.

Since the pitching staff is a little rough this season, the closer role has expanded to a "couple innings if it is a close game" role.

Last night he came in with the bases loaded and 2 out in the 5th in a tie game, because the starter had hit the pitch limit.  He got a pop up to get out of that, then struck out the side in the 6th. The infield tried to give away the game with 3 straight ground ball errors to load the bases with no outs in the top of the 7th.  Finally managed to get it right on the next ground ball and turned a double play. Followed that with a strikeout to get out with only giving up one run. Offense came through with 2 runs in the bottom, and so he picks up the W.

Rob T posted:

My 2017 picked up his first "official" varsity win last night.

Since the beginning, he has always been the team's closer - so opportunities for a win aren't common.

Since the pitching staff is a little rough this season, the closer role has expanded to a "couple innings if it is a close game" role.

Last night he came in with the bases loaded and 2 out in the 5th in a tie game, because the starter had hit the pitch limit.  He got a pop up to get out of that, then struck out the side in the 6th. The infield tried to give away the game with 3 straight ground ball errors to load the bases with no outs in the top of the 7th.  Finally managed to get it right on the next ground ball and turned a double play. Followed that with a strikeout to get out with only giving up one run. Offense came through with 2 runs in the bottom, and so he picks up the W.

Nice - congrats!

hshuler posted:

We have gotten 11 games in and region play started this week. 

In Georgia, you're allowed 30 regular season games. How many regular seasons games are allowed in your states?

In our section of California, it's 20 but with many loopholes regarding tourneys and double headers.  The result is usually 28-30 plus playoffs.

Metsman79 posted:

He was ineligible due to grades.  He's a good kid, just not very motivated in school.  He gets by now, but I still get on his case about grades.  Would be great if he gets drafted but if not he's committed to playing with a nationally ranked JUCO team next year. 

That's awesome.  Don't give up on pushing the importance of grades and other non-baseball interests.  The baseball thing can end in a flash... and usually does.  Then what?  

Say he's good enough to get drafted (elite company), spends a few years in the minors and doesn't quite make it over that last hump.  Then what?

Welcome to the site.

Our schedule has 29 games right now plus whatever tournament runs, districts, and state.  I think we have to have 25 before districts.  I know there is a minimum but not sure what that number is.  We start next Thursday assuming this snow isn't terrible.  The forecast is upper 50s so that will be fine provided we don't have a bunch of snow making the field soggy. 

They had a scrimmage tonight but my son didn't play due to rolling his ankle in gym class this morning.  Had it been a real game they would have taped him up and played.  Super excited about the team.  Pitching depth looks really good.  Lots of young talent.  Coach says the current crop of juniors could be his best group ever.  Can't wait to get going.

Having this debate with some friends...would appreciate others weighing in.  Saw a game last night where a JV pitcher, in 10th grade, was throwing 85+mph.  At the end of the 4th inning he had thrown 78 pitches....they brought him back for the 5th inning, and he ended that with 90 pitches and he didn't start the 6th inning.  Final stats on him were 90 pitches, 53 strikes, 20 batters faced.  7 strikeouts, 4 walks.

Is 90 pitches too much for JV in your opinion?

Question really isn't whether he is JV or not or 10th grade or 12th.

How long has he been training? I'm in PA and we haven't had a game yet. I know my son tells me when he's catching pitchers and I was surprised they weren't doing more to prep pitchers. So for us I would say it's a lot cause I know the limited throwing they have been doing.

There's schools in GA that are apparently 7-8 + games into it. Warmer climate states get started a ton earlier than us.

At face value it can seem like a lot early but details really do matter.

IMO.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.