Skip to main content

SomeBaseballDad posted:
hshuler posted:

Sounds like he's off to a great start! Best wishes on continued success. 

Thanks.

Last night jumped on a team for 3 runs first inning, thought "here we go". Then came an hour rain delay and when play resumed we weren't the same team. Ended up winning 6-3, but it was 3-3 until late in the game and the thought crossed my mind I shot my mouth off on line and the first game after we lose, LOL.

Congrats!

Colorado. We're closing in on the playoffs. 32 team format. First two rounds are single elimination in 8 pods. The winners move on to a double elimination tournament. We're still dodging snow. We moved our Friday game to today because 2-5" of snow is forecast for Friday. 

On a personal note, mys on gets the start in what is, in effect, the conference championship. It was supposed to be #1 vs. #2 in the state between two 15-1 teams before our bitter rivals fell twice last Saturday. Now it's #1 vs. #4. 

My 2018 has only recently returned to the mound. He'd been sidelined by a lower back problem we thought was due to a bulging disc. As it turned out, while he does have a slightly bulging disc it's nowhere near the pain. After some mechanics changes, the pain is gone and he's itching to go tonight. 

Funny story is that we recently switched chiropractors and he saw immediate improvement. But the story behind this guy tells a lot about what it's like to play in a small town atmosphere. The team we play tonight is our school's fiercest rival going back 100 years - La Junta, the next decent sized town over (about 75 miles away). The new chiropractor is the brother of Mike Oquist, former Orioles pitcher and his nephew, Mike's son, will be the starting pitcher against my 2018 tonight. So, when he put my son on the table, I had to ask the guy if we could trust him this week. Gotta love small town good, clean, old fashion hate.

LHP2017 posted:

We have played a full FIVE games here in Minnesota thus far  our hitting has definitely taken a while to get on track but we are getting there, pitching has been keeping us in games!

When I coached, teams from up North would hit well early as a result of all the indoor cage time but would struggle defensively from not being outside as much. 

I guess it was just our bad pitching. :-)

We're drowning here in the Pacific Northwest. We've had about 5 extra months worth of precipitation over the Winter and Spring. There is less than a month left in the regular season and almost all schools here are struggling with getting games in. We played a double header last Friday on the first 70 degree day of the year, but it's been raining almost nonstop since then.

The bummer is that we are doing really well this season, but it's hard to get in a groove. We have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs for the first time in years. There isn't a single kid on the roster that has ever been to the playoffs. We even beat the #1 team in the state a couple weeks ago and swept our three game series against a top private school last week (we have only beat that team 1 time in recent memory). My 2018 has settled into a comfortable starting pitching role after having a couple tough outings early on. We have learned that pitching in rain and hail with temps in the 40's and 50's does not bring out the best in him. He pitched an amazing game at the Coach Bob invite against the top team in Phoenix, which was a real confidence booster. Now, if we could just get some dry days (I won't even go so far as to ask for sun) to finish the season, I would be a happy camper. 

hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:

California Southern Section...  2 1/2 weeks remain of regular season.  Playoffs begin the following week (of May 15).

Good luck! I know there are some good teams in SoCal. How are you guys looking?

As we stand today, looking pretty good for earning a berth but still need a few wins to secure it and a few more for a high seed.  Love our guys but we are doing it without the two true studs on the bump that it typically takes to make a deep run in our section.  We've done it all year without 2 of 3 top projected rotation guys.  Would be all the more sweet.

You?

As for my 2018, for the most part he is having a pretty good spring.  One really bad inning last week where he gave up 5 hits and 2 earned runs.  He was mad as hell when he got home because he said the pitching coach was calling all fast balls in that inning and they were hitting it.  To be fair, he obviously wasn't hitting his spots because if he were they wouldn't have been hitting it like that.  The next 4 innings he was lights out and gave up I think 2 more hits total and no more earned runs.  This was against the number 1 team in the state.  He's among the top in the state in ERA having pitched against the best teams on the schedule.  He's getting some press this spring from PBR and a couple of the local fall ball teams but to my knowledge is only hearing from one school.  Which is the one he contacted because they are his lifelong dream school.   If it works out for him that will be great but as a parent I am extremely nervous about him putting all his eggs in one basket.  We've had multiple conversations about his need to reach out to more schools but he is stubborn.  Honestly if an offer doesn't materialize from dream school he will probably go juco in hopes to still make it there eventually.  If anyone has advice on how to get a kid to open up their options I am all for hearing it.  Nothing we have said so far has sunk in. 

cabbagedad posted:
hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:

California Southern Section...  2 1/2 weeks remain of regular season.  Playoffs begin the following week (of May 15).

As we stand today, looking pretty good for earning a berth but still need a few wins to secure it and a few more for a high seed.  Love our guys but we are doing it without the two true studs on the bump that it typically takes to make a deep run in our section.  We've done it all year without 2 of 3 top projected rotation guys.  Would be all the more sweet.

You?

Losing two of your top three is tough. Any chance of getting one or both of those guys back for the playoffs? Good luck down the stretch!

Regarding our team, I knew that we had a shot to be good because of two senior starters who will pitch in college and a junior lefty who's a Big 10 commit.  

The concern was whether the youth everywhere else would be an issue. Luckily, it has not as we are 28-2. Our lineup has two seniors, two juniors, two sophomores and three freshmen. 

The playoffs are a different animal so hopefully, we'll continue playing well.

LivingtheDream posted:

As for my 2018, for the most part he is having a pretty good spring.  One really bad inning last week where he gave up 5 hits and 2 earned runs.  He was mad as hell when he got home because he said the pitching coach was calling all fast balls in that inning and they were hitting it.  To be fair, he obviously wasn't hitting his spots because if he were they wouldn't have been hitting it like that.  The next 4 innings he was lights out and gave up I think 2 more hits total and no more earned runs.  This was against the number 1 team in the state.  He's among the top in the state in ERA having pitched against the best teams on the schedule.  He's getting some press this spring from PBR and a couple of the local fall ball teams but to my knowledge is only hearing from one school.  Which is the one he contacted because they are his lifelong dream school.   If it works out for him that will be great but as a parent I am extremely nervous about him putting all his eggs in one basket.  We've had multiple conversations about his need to reach out to more schools but he is stubborn.  Honestly if an offer doesn't materialize from dream school he will probably go juco in hopes to still make it there eventually.  If anyone has advice on how to get a kid to open up their options I am all for hearing it.  Nothing we have said so far has sunk in. 

Your 2018 sounds a lot like mine. His first outing was against a team that is turning out to be one of the best in the state. They lit him up. First batter of the game hits the first pitch for a double. He couldn't recover. He realized that he needed to be able to work through those issues and move forward. He's been a different pitcher since then. We have one of the best pitchers in the state as our ace, so he's been a great mentor to my son.

My kid is pretty ambivalent about college right now. He knows he wants to go, but he seems a little intimidated to make concrete plans. I've pushed about as much as I can and I'm not willing to take over the process entirely. He may end up at a Juco and I'm okay with that. It will be a good fit academically and give him good intro to college life as a baseball player. I don't really have any advice for getting them to open their options. In my experience, it really does have to be a process led by the kid. Good luck!

hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:
hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:

You?

Losing two of your top three is tough. Any chance of getting one or both of those guys back for the playoffs? Good luck down the stretch!

Regarding our team, I knew that we had a shot to be good because of two senior starters who will pitch in college and a junior lefty who's a Big 10 commit.  

The concern was whether the youth everywhere else would be an issue. Luckily, it has not as we are 28-2. Our lineup has two seniors, two juniors, two sophomores and three freshmen. 

That's awesome!  Should be an exciting run.  So, you know exactly what I'm talking about with the two studs on the bump.  Guessing you might have to fight a bit of complacency (now starting to just expect vs work to win) and the tendency for the young players to expect the horses to carry them.  

No, we won't have those pitchers back, as pitchers anyway.  One is out and the other will take too long to ramp back up.  Others have done an admirable job of "next man up".

Good luck!

cabbagedad posted:
hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:
hshuler posted:
cabbagedad posted:

You?

That's awesome!  Should be an exciting run.  So, you know exactly what I'm talking about with the two studs on the bump.  Guessing you might have to fight a bit of complacency (now starting to just expect vs work to win) and the tendency for the young players to expect the horses to carry them.  

No, we won't have those pitchers back, as pitchers anyway.  One is out and the other will take too long to ramp back up.  Others have done an admirable job of "next man up".

Good luck!

Thanks and again, best wishes to you guys as well!

LivingtheDream posted:

...He's getting some press this spring from PBR and a couple of the local fall ball teams but to my knowledge is only hearing from one school.  Which is the one he contacted because they are his lifelong dream school.   If it works out for him that will be great but as a parent I am extremely nervous about him putting all his eggs in one basket.  We've had multiple conversations about his need to reach out to more schools but he is stubborn.  Honestly if an offer doesn't materialize from dream school he will probably go juco in hopes to still make it there eventually.  If anyone has advice on how to get a kid to open up their options I am all for hearing it.  Nothing we have said so far has sunk in. 

When my 2012 was going through the process, sometimes with this type of issue, I kept an eye out for relative stories and scenarios with players, coaches and teams he had some connection with who may have just dealt with the same.  Often, it was stories from here on HSBBW.  In many instances, that helped.  It wasn't just "advice from dad".  I KNOW there are stories here in the archives about kids getting shafted because the put all their eggs in one basket.

Unfortunately, the kids often do have to experience it for themselves before they learn the hard lessons.  But they only get one shot at this so steer them toward as many tools of information as you can.

If yours is a 2018 also, he will likely rub shoulders with other kids going through similar recruiting challenges this summer.  That makes for great relatable events that he can hopefully learn from.

I agree with KandFunk... they have to lead the process.  But nothing wrong with "hey, look at this cool rock you can look under".

Last edited by cabbagedad

Clinched the conference championship last night with our 15th straight victory. Great small town feel. We were playing the #4 team in the state - our fiercest rivals. To give you an idea of how baseball is treated here, there were three separate radio stations/crews covering the game. My 2018 squared off against their best pitcher, former Oriole pitcher Mike Oquist's son. His kid threw a great game, scattering three hits and giving up one unearned run. That one run was plenty, though as Dalton turned in one of his best ever performances, throwing a complete game, 2-hit, shut out. The back held up without pain again.

We have a student-aid chart all of our pitches. He hit 90mph for the first time in an actual game (that we've documented) and sat an easy 88, never falling below 86. 64 of his 103 pitches eclipsed 88. He's never sat that high, so we're guessing we've figured the back thing out. He took a no-hitter into the sixth, stretching his no-hit streak to nine innings before giving up two infield singles. He did suffer from leg cramps late in the game and later that night, though. But, it's been quite the relief. We didn't know if we'd ever figure the back problem out. In the end, looks mostly like it was the product of a bad decision to change his arm slot last fall. Now he gets nine days of rest before his next start. 

roothog66 posted:

Clinched the conference championship last night with our 15th straight victory. Great small town feel. We were playing the #4 team in the state - our fiercest rivals. To give you an idea of how baseball is treated here, there were three separate radio stations/crews covering the game. My 2018 squared off against their best pitcher, former Oriole pitcher Mike Oquist's son. His kid threw a great game, scattering three hits and giving up one unearned run. That one run was plenty, though as Dalton turned in one of his best ever performances, throwing a complete game, 2-hit, shut out. The back held up without pain again.

We have a student-aid chart all of our pitches. He hit 90mph for the first time in an actual game (that we've documented) and sat an easy 88, never falling below 86. 64 of his 103 pitches eclipsed 88. He's never sat that high, so we're guessing we've figured the back thing out. He took a no-hitter into the sixth, stretching his no-hit streak to nine innings before giving up two infield singles. He did suffer from leg cramps late in the game and later that night, though. But, it's been quite the relief. We didn't know if we'd ever figure the back problem out. In the end, looks mostly like it was the product of a bad decision to change his arm slot last fall. Now he gets nine days of rest before his next start. 

Nice - congrats!

roothog66 posted:

Wow, you both have to be in a pretty happy spot right now, awesome!

This afternoon starts our district playoffs.  The 2017's team scraped together wins to come in as the 2nd seed.

The way playoffs are structured here... 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.  Winners play for the championship.  However, two teams out of the district advance to regional play - so today's game is actually the "must win".

The team is going in with basically a .500 record which given the turmoil over the last couple of years is a miracle. The pitchers look like a MASH unit and the defense rivals the Bad News Bears.  Somehow though they have managed to make it this far. The engine is smoking, the gas gauge is pointing to empty, and there are 2 flat tires - but they are going to keep the pedal down as long as they can.

Rob T posted:

This afternoon starts our district playoffs.  The 2017's team scraped together wins to come in as the 2nd seed.

The way playoffs are structured here... 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3.  Winners play for the championship.  However, two teams out of the district advance to regional play - so today's game is actually the "must win".

The team is going in with basically a .500 record which given the turmoil over the last couple of years is a miracle. The pitchers look like a MASH unit and the defense rivals the Bad News Bears.  Somehow though they have managed to make it this far. The engine is smoking, the gas gauge is pointing to empty, and there are 2 flat tires - but they are going to keep the pedal down as long as they can.

Just remember, the Bad News Bears won it all!  Just pour some STP in the engine, siphon some gas in the parking lot and ride the steel rims if necessary.  Good luck.

I had to watch 2017's team get eliminated on Gamechanger (was in Pigeon Forge with younger son at tournament - Ripken Experience was really a nice setting in the mountains).  Bottom of 7th, they were down by 1 with one out, runners at 2nd and 3rd.  Ended after two consecutive strikeouts.  Feels weird for high school baseball to be over for now, but hope to get back into the program in a couple of years with my 2024.

Oh, gosh...

I was sitting here looking at this thread and thinking for a moment about the final flurry of league games we have over the next two weeks, and how bittersweet it will be to attend Senior Day next Weds. and then I remembered Senior Day for 2017's basketball team and how tough it was for some basketball-only parents seeing their kid's final game. And then I remembered at the end of it how the entire team went into the stands and gave flowers and a group hug to the parents and brother of a middle school friend and teammate of most of them who had died in a freak accident almost 4 years before.

Yes, Senior day will be a little sad but we're so fortunate to be able to celebrate it.

Root that is impressive by your young man. Best of luck the rest of the way. To all with kids winding down the HS season, I wish all of you the best of luck. Soak it all in because it will be over in the blink of an eye. Even for the guys moving to the next level, the college game isn't the same. Better in a lot of ways, but you lose those lifelong friends as teammates. 

Our regular season ended Monday, county playoff starts this Friday. This season was extremely cold and wet. It didn't help that a lot of schools scheduled games at night, adding to the darkness and coldness. 

Our team started off shaky, but ended up with a .500 winning record. Many games were decided by one pitch, one hit, or one error. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Keep my finger crossed. 

Apparently there was just enough gas in the tank to scratch out another win yesterday afternoon. Not sure who is surprised more, the fans, the players, or the coaches. Playing tonight for the district title, but moving on to regional play regardless.

To top off the day, my 11 year old hit a homerun in his game last night. First one since moving up to 12U. 

Rob T posted:

Apparently there was just enough gas in the tank to scratch out another win yesterday afternoon. Not sure who is surprised more, the fans, the players, or the coaches. Playing tonight for the district title, but moving on to regional play regardless.

To top off the day, my 11 year old hit a homerun in his game last night. First one since moving up to 12U. 

Congrats!

I haven't reported in all season, but RHP son had a break out season. He plays on JV, but was always that skinny kid who could occasionally throw well. By the end of the season (which ended last night) he was the tall skinny kid who could reliably dominate and win despite infield errors. He's worked hard over the winter and will continue to do so to move that success to V next year. Our JV was structured around pitchers only going 3 or 4 innings, but within those constraints he was terrific. What a difference a year makes. 

He's now 6 2 and weighs only 140 lbs, but he has developed a confidence this year I wasn't sure would ever emerge. Once or twice he started the game a little rough, but found a way to work himself into a groove and finish strong. He's one of the youngest sophomores in his class and he only started paying baseball when he was 12 so I'm terrifically proud of how he has fought to climb this mountain. He's not near the top of his mountain yet, but dang I'm happy for him.

On to summer ball!  Hope y'all have a good playoff run if you are lucky enough to be in it!

cluelessDad2019 posted:

I haven't reported in all season, but RHP son had a break out season. He plays on JV, but was always that skinny kid who could occasionally throw well. By the end of the season (which ended last night) he was the tall skinny kid who could reliably dominate and win despite infield errors. He's worked hard over the winter and will continue to do so to move that success to V next year. Our JV was structured around pitchers only going 3 or 4 innings, but within those constraints he was terrific. What a difference a year makes. 

He's now 6 2 and weighs only 140 lbs, but he has developed a confidence this year I wasn't sure would ever emerge. Once or twice he started the game a little rough, but found a way to work himself into a groove and finish strong. He's one of the youngest sophomores in his class and he only started paying baseball when he was 12 so I'm terrifically proud of how he has fought to climb this mountain. He's not near the top of his mountain yet, but dang I'm happy for him.

On to summer ball!  Hope y'all have a good playoff run if you are lucky enough to be in it!

Good deal, ClueDad!  Glad to hear he's gaining confidence and doing well.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.