===============
@robyounce & @seethegear on Twitter & Instagram

WWBA World Champions (Jupiter) - 2013, 2014, 2015

17u PG World Series - 2013

17u WWB Champions - 2014

16u WWB Champions - 2013, 2010, 2009

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Awesome for those young men!  My question........Why would a 2018 verbally commit?  What benefit is that to the young man, and/or the school?  I know there have been discussions on HSBBW regarding this, but it seems these early verbals would cause more harm than good.  Wonder how many actually will end up at the "early verbal" school?  Not trying to be negative, but just trying to see the positives.  Again, congrats to those involved! 

Most of these commitments are to major programs. A few are to mid majors. Why would an '18 commit to a mid major in 2016? He has another year for his stock to rise. The mid majors will still be shopping next summer. From a baseball perspective the decision doesn't make sense to me. I understand if it's affordability or dad played there.

Last edited by RJM

I may well be twisted in my thinking, but this is what I told my boy: "If the second prettiest girl in town asks you to dance when the prettiest girl in town isn't giving you the time of day (and is busy courting other guys), you dance."

We are huge fans of the proximity of my sons "mid-major" school, the academics of the school and the future of the baseball program.

BTW: Isn't Costal Carolina "mid-major"?

FFXfireman posted:

I may well be twisted in my thinking, but this is what I told my boy: "If the second prettiest girl in town asks you to dance when the prettiest girl in town isn't giving you the time of day (and is busy courting other guys), you dance."

We are huge fans of the proximity of my sons "mid-major" school, the academics of the school and the future of the baseball program.

Every student-athlete has to make his own decision. I completely understand academics and proximity being a valuable part of the decision. 

But what if the player has another year to develop into a player where he can attend a major with the equivalent academics and proximity? The mid major will probably still be glad to have him next year.

RJM posted:
FFXfireman posted:

Every student-athlete has to make his own decision. I completely understand academics and proximity being a valuable part of the decision. 

But what if the player has another year to develop into a player where he can attend a major with the equivalent academics and proximity? The mid major will probably still be glad to have him next year.

I see both sides to this argument.  I will say this:  With the "commitment" timeline moving ever forward (into freshman and sophomore years), it behooves the mid-major to try and secure good talent as soon as possible to get them off the market (theoretically).  As such, a mid-major may make a great offer, relative to holding out for a smaller offer from a high-major, that may or may not materialize.  Then, if I do not act, the money and the available roster spots, may be minimal, or nonexistent, later.

just the way it is...

If this conversation revolves around a commitment to JMU...well, there was a time that JMU was a VERY good baseball program.  They have all of the ingredients to find themselves right there again, going forward.

I appreciate it, GO44DAD, but the only situation I can speak with any authority on is the commitment of Alex Kobersteen to George Washington University.  Being in the Atlantic 10 Conference, I believe it is also a "mid-major" school/program. I'm still getting used to the lingo, the hierarchy, peoples opinions and where it all fits together.

Needless to say, we are very happy with the offer that GW made to Alex and have no reason to regret the decision to commit.

FFXfireman posted:

I appreciate it, GO44DAD, but the only situation I can speak with any authority on is the commitment of Alex Kobersteen to George Washington University.  Being in the Atlantic 10 Conference, I believe it is also a "mid-major" school/program. I'm still getting used to the lingo, the hierarchy, peoples opinions and where it all fits together.

Needless to say, we are very happy with the offer that GW made to Alex and have no reason to regret the decision to commit.

Ooops on the typo, but sentiment the same.  Congrats!

RJM posted:
FFXfireman posted:

RJM,

James Madison University has a new coach (one year) that is used to scouting in Virginia, relentlessly.  If a player wants/needs to stay in Virginia, JMU has a lot to offer (large school, good football, co-ed, nice baseball facilities).  If UVA and VT have snatched up their 2018s (their rosters show many come from out of state), JMU is a choice school for many....mid-major or not.

Nice to see Coach Ike being proactive.

Secretly relieved my 2014 in the same conference will have graduated when these 2018s arrive at JMU  

Congrats to those recent commits.

Last edited by keewart
Midlo Dad posted:

Thanks, you beat me to it!

Tried to PM you, but the system would not allow me to for some reason.  Sorry about posting that, should have thought it through + not stole your thunder.  Tucker is a very talented player, I was truly excited for him (my wife went to WVU).  He's robbed my boy of more than just one hit before.  Keep up the great work with the young men!

I wonder how many people here have no idea what that comment was about.

I was actually on campus back in the day, when the student government organized the playing of that song on the campus radio station, and asked everyone to open their windows and crank it up all at once.  (Honestly, it didn't make a dent.  But it was a fun thought.)

Several reputable scouting agencies and publications have indicated that the 2018 high school class is supposed to be one of the strongest in many, many years.  There are a number of 2018s from the New England area who have committed to strong SEC and ACC  baseball programs, many more than in recent years.  May bode well for the MLB draft as well.

Several more members of the Virginia Cardinals 2018 team have committed, as follows:

Hunter Andrews, OF/RHP from St. Christopher's School, to Roanoke College

Drew Camp, 1B/3B from Thomas Dale, to Louisburg College

Connor Kannon, 3B/SS from Manchester, to Louisburg College

Scott McDonough, RHP/3B/1B from Mills Godwin, to Florence-Darlington Inst. of Tech.

Jacob Waltman, LHP from Matoaca, to Louisburg College

Jonathan Walton, RHP from Prince George, to Ferrum

Parker Wilburn, C, to Univ. of Mary Washington

Last edited by Midlo Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.