Skip to main content

There is a thread on the D3 bracket, why not one on the D2 field now that the final 8 teams are set for Cary, NC this weekend.  Games are broadcast online for those curious to see what level the top D2 teams look like.

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d2

Florida Southern (42-9-1) is the #1 seed and rightly so as they were the only #1 seed in the Regionals to survive.

What is amazing is how the rest of the regional seeds did not play out.  Either the committee did a poor job of seeding the regions, or there is a heck of lot of parity within D2.  One-half of the eight team field were seeded 5th or lower.  The rest of the field (and their regional seed when it all started):

#2 Seed Columbus State 45-13 (#4 in SE Region)

#3 UC- San Diego 42-15 (#3 in West)

#4 Southern New Hampshire 39-15 (#4 in East)

#5 Augustana (S.D.) 48-9 (#5 in Central)

#6 Texas A&M-Kingsville 41-15 (#5 in S. Central)

#7 Mercyhurst 36-13 (#5 Atlantic)

#8 Southern Indiana 36-21 (#7 MW)

I'll admit a personal bias for the UCSD Tritons to get back to the championship again and win it this time--the team has been really focused and determined to do so having swept through the tough CCAA and West Region.  But anything can happen as the regionals showed, and there are some smoking hot teams right now including Florida Southern.

Great week for college baseball as the D2 and D3 play out their championships and the D1 schools battle in their conference tourneys before the D1 field is selected.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Backstop22 posted:

There is a thread on the D3 bracket, why not one on the D2 field now that the final 8 teams are set for Cary, NC this weekend.  Games are broadcast online for those curious to see what level the top D2 teams look like.

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/baseball/d2

Florida Southern (42-9-1) is the #1 seed and rightly so as they were the only #1 seed in the Regionals to survive.

What is amazing is how the rest of the regional seeds did not play out.  Either the committee did a poor job of seeding the regions, or there is a heck of lot of parity within D2.  One-half of the eight team field were seeded 5th or lower.  The rest of the field (and their regional seed when it all started):

#2 Seed Columbus State 45-13 (#4 in SE Region)

#3 UC- San Diego 42-15 (#3 in West)

#4 Southern New Hampshire 39-15 (#4 in East)

#5 Augustana (S.D.) 48-9 (#5 in Central)

#6 Texas A&M-Kingsville 41-15 (#5 in S. Central)

#7 Mercyhurst 36-13 (#5 Atlantic)

#8 Southern Indiana 36-21 (#7 MW)

I'll admit a personal bias for the UCSD Tritons to get back to the championship again and win it this time--the team has been really focused and determined to do so having swept through the tough CCAA and West Region.  But anything can happen as the regionals showed, and there are some smoking hot teams right now including Florida Southern.

Great week for college baseball as the D2 and D3 play out their championships and the D1 schools battle in their conference tourneys before the D1 field is selected.

I’m also surprised by the lack of high seeds making it through the regionals, should make for a very interesting series. 

Im pulling for Mercyhurst, son graduated from there a couple of years ago. It’s Mercyhurst 2nd appearance in the last 4 years. They kind of limped through the last month of the season, a bunch of injuries. But gave some reserves the chance to step up and produce in the regional.

mercyhurst has one big stud pitcher, Vallimont, that is very impressive. He’s leading the nation in K’s per nine averaging almost 17/9. He will be getting his name called next week during the draft.

we are visiting my son this week in the area and will be attending the Sunday game, Cary is a pretty special place, and we are really looking forward to soaking in the experience again. 

Go Lakeshow !

My son's team was eliminated by Columbus State. Columbus State came back to beat them twice to win the regional. We had the bases loaded in a 0-0 game in the bottom of the 11th and a 3-0 count on our batter. Pitcher came back and struck him out and we lost in 12. The second game was a good one as well. Columbus State was the best D2 team I saw all year. They are really good on the mound and deep. Also they play so serious defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they won it. I also like Fla Southern's chances as well. The rain is going to play havoc the rest of this week I can tell you that. 

Picked Off posted:

Sons team beat UCSD twice early in the season. They really got hot midway through and really hot at the end. Big UCLA kick down RF has some skills. Couple real good arms and pretty solid in the field. I believe they lost in the final last year. Look for them to compete this year.

If UCSD is ever going to win the D2 title, it will be this year or next year (in 2020 they're moving to D1 and joining the Big West).

Good to see action has resumed in the D2 Championship, as Coach May was spot on about the rain this week.  Crazy Sunday with 4 games played.  They let the regularly scheduled teams know about 11 PM Saturday night that they were moving up the starts so they could move Monday's games to Sunday. 

UC-San Diego got moved up to a 10 AM start, which was 7 AM on their body clocks.  After the 4-0 win, the HC appropriately credited the training staff for having the team ready for that game.  I guess those 6 AM workouts that started last Fall were helpful after all.  Now they get a tough Columbus State team tonight at a game scheduled for 8:30 Eastern assuming the rain holds off.  Hopefully they can get through the week and get the championship finished on schedule.

Coach_May posted:

Columbus State is really good. Both starters dominated. But wait to you see them get in their pen. They are loaded on the mound. They are one of the best D2 teams I have seen in many years. 

This is my son's old team.  It has been fun to follow them this post season!!  Their starting pitching, especially #1 & #2, have been dominant, even though neither are flame throwers.  And their hitting has been hot at the right time.  In their two games in the World Series, their starters have thrown 15 innings allowing ZERO runs.  They've outscored their opponents 14-1.  It's pretty astounding really.  CSU has had some pretty good teams while my son was there, but the hitting always seemed to get cold at the wrong time.  This team looks like the real deal and I'm hoping they stay hot for the rest of the week.  GO Cougars!!!

Shoveit4Ks posted:

Gotta go with Columbus State, son went to Cooperstown with McClellan aka "SouthSide"

McClellan's dad is/was actually a poster here.  I met him through Private Messages here in regard to his older son.  We talked online, then on the phone so he could get the scoop on Columbus State. He wound up going there his sophomore year and played with my son for the next 3 years.  He wound up being an All-American.  His younger brother (playing now) is an All-American as well.  Pretty crazy!!

bballman posted:
Shoveit4Ks posted:

Gotta go with Columbus State, son went to Cooperstown with McClellan aka "SouthSide"

McClellan's dad is/was actually a poster here.  I met him through Private Messages here in regard to his older son.  We talked online, then on the phone so he could get the scoop on Columbus State. He wound up going there his sophomore year and played with my son for the next 3 years.  He wound up being an All-American.  His younger brother (playing now) is an All-American as well.  Pretty crazy!!

Randy is a good dude and obviously as an athlete himself has two boys who can flat out play. Good family and i hope Mason gets the call.

Looks like Florida Southern and Columbus State get to do it again tomorrow to see who gets to the championship.  But Augustana should be well-rested with their best pitchers available if they beat Southern New Hampshire today and can wait until Saturday for the survivor.  One would think FLA Southern or CSU should win it all but that extra rest for Augustana may be the difference (assuming they survive Southern NH).

UC-San Diego fizzled out with the rain and the 100% humidity (which kids from CA do not deal ever deal with).  Bats went silent after they were on fire the past three weeks winning 23 of 25 and sweeping in the CCAA and West Regional.  Sort of reminded me of the Colorado Rockies that year they finished like 21-22 and rolled until the World Series after a week off and couldn't hit.  Hats off to the Columbus State pitchers but the Tritons left 12 on and got shutout and that should never happen in a 9 inning game. 

But that's baseball and what makes these championships so interesting to watch.  It such a battle to play almost 60 games and get to the final 8 and then it can all end in a couple of days.

I listened to this game on the radio.  Sounded like a tough, well played game by both teams.  If I heard correctly, FSU used their #1 pitcher and CSU used their #3.  It will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow.  Don't know a lot about FSU, but I'm sure their next pitcher will be good.  Wondering if CSU will go with their #4 guy or go with Ingram, their #1 on 3 days rest?  I'll definitely be sitting at the office with the headphones on!!

Have you tried to watch the games on the NCAA Sports App?  It works pretty well with a few glitches.  It is not ESPN but it is definitely worth watching.

It makes sense that FSU went for it with their #1 guy--lose and they were done.  Big decision for CSU tomorrow.  If I am the coach and your real goal is to win it all, then you take your chance with #4, hope you win and then you have your #1 for the first Championship game.  Win that and it is anybody's championship.  If you use your #1 to advance, you are up against it having to win twice on Saturday.

Augustana is set up perfectly with their win today.  They have to be thrilled that FSU extended CSU another day and both will have used top pitchers to survive.  West Chester did the same thing last year when UCSD was all out of bullets after losing the first game and having to win four-straight elimination games.

Backstop, I have watched a couple games on the NCAA app. I did like it. Just decided I wanted to listen to the CSU announcer on this game. He’s good!!

TPM, sorry about the FSC thing. Lol. I really don’t know FSC at all, I just thought I heard during the broadcast that he was their ace. 

I don’t know, Backstop, gotta win this game tomorrow to play on Saturday. I think I’d go with the ace and take my chances with the Championship Series. If CSU uses their ace to get into the Championship, their #2 should be available on Saturday and he’s been pretty lights out too. Then you worry about the last game(s) as they come. That would be my strategy anyway. But none of it matters if you don’t win tomorrow. 

BBALLMAN,

You and everyone else should do a search on Southern. Lots of history at the stadium as well as on campus. Coach Neikro is from the Neikro family and played MLB and a player from Southern. Located in Lakeland FL, the field is right down the street from Publix field, home of the Detroit Tigers.

There hitting coach, Steve Crabtree teaches the new hitting philosophy. Check out Hayden Marz, a pitcher turned hitter, a transfer from MSU has almost hit the Mocs single season HR total.  The pitching coach, Mate Syria, played at UNC and played MLB as well. Last year's volunteer coach went to Tennessee Tech.

You know that people look down on D2, but D2 baseball is just as exciting as any other division and players do get drafted.

Go Mocs!

I did hear quite a bit about their history. Very impressive. 9 World Series titles, most of any D2 team. I read the head coach’s bio earlier. Just don’t know much about their current roster, other than they can hit the crap out of the ball. #5 hitter had 22 HRs this year - that’s a LOT!!  I think CSU did well to hold them to 3 runs. But they did better holding CSU to only 2. It’s almost a shame these two teams are facing each other in the semis instead of the finals.  Should be a good game tomorrow. 

Go Cougs!!

Last edited by bballman

It is interesting that these top D2 programs are landing some really decent D1 dropdowns to their teams like that Hayden Marze player on FSC.  UCSD got a UCLA guy who won the CCAA Triple Crown and set all kinds of school HR and RBI records, and their top pitcher came from Oregon State, where he only got to pitch two innings on that loaded pitching staff.  The skeptics might say if they were so good they would stayed and played on the D1 teams.  But only so many kids on a D1 roster get to play and there is a lot of D1 talent wasting away on benches. 

I actually give these kids a lot of credit for evaluating their situations and deciding they would rather actually play college baseball than just say they were part of a D1 program.  Now if Oregon State or UCLA makes it to Omaha, maybe the UCSD players would have some regrets, but they were huge contributors to a 43-17 team that made it to the final five in D2.  And if FSC wins it, it is highly unlikely Marze regrets leaving MSU after the experience he went through this season.

Backstop22 posted:

It is interesting that these top D2 programs are landing some really decent D1 dropdowns to their teams like that Hayden Marze player on FSC.  UCSD got a UCLA guy who won the CCAA Triple Crown and set all kinds of school HR and RBI records, and their top pitcher came from Oregon State, where he only got to pitch two innings on that loaded pitching staff.  The skeptics might say if they were so good they would stayed and played on the D1 teams.  But only so many kids on a D1 roster get to play and there is a lot of D1 talent wasting away on benches. 

I actually give these kids a lot of credit for evaluating their situations and deciding they would rather actually play college baseball than just say they were part of a D1 program.  Now if Oregon State or UCLA makes it to Omaha, maybe the UCSD players would have some regrets, but they were huge contributors to a 43-17 team that made it to the final five in D2.  And if FSC wins it, it is highly unlikely Marze regrets leaving MSU after the experience he went through this season.

Marz went to Juco, had TJS then went to MSU with a one year only scholarship but had shoulder issues. He got picked up at from Florida Collegiate League. They went to see another guy and picked him up. Now that's a good story! Logan Browning was from UF, they wouldn't let him be a 2 way guy so he went back home to Lakeland. He was drafted late last year and went back to Southern, heard he so happy he did. Same with JT Hintzen, they let out the word he was going back to finish school. He worked with Randy at the FL baseball Ranch.  I think he was a JUCO guy. Teams from the Sunshine Conference do rely on Juco, and D1 transfers. For some of them, their Florda prepay, academic or needs based pays a 50k ( give or take), tuition bill. 

The kids love playing at historic landmark Henley field, once a home for MLB spring training, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and many more hall of famers. 

Lot of DNA buried deep in that field. I loved it there!

Last edited by TPM

Should be a great championship.  The stronger team in CSU should be more weary after battling FSC on back-to-back days and has no margin for error in the first game.  Augustana is well-rested and on quite a roll and should have plenty of pitching options.  Good luck to both teams.

P.S. From what I could tell, FSC's defense cost them badly in both games they lost.  No doubt they deserved the #1 seed based on their season, but with baseball it does always seem to go back to pitching and defense are the difference in who wins the championships.

FSC errors definitely cost them in today’s game. Although CSU also took advantage after the mistakes as well. 

I agree about going to play Augustana tomorrow. CSU has to be drained and Augustana well rested. Although, I have seen teams with too much of a break have a hard time getting in the groove again. CSU does have their #2, Perez Knowles, available and he has been pretty good. If they can take that 1st game, they’ll be scrambling for pitchers. 

Should be fun to watch!!  

Go Cougars!!

Last edited by bballman
JohnF posted:

It's too bad the final wasn't best of 3! I thought both D3 and D1 were regardless of losing in the bracket portion.  All depends on who you play and when I guess. Hats off to Augustana though - have to imagine they aren't used to the rain and humidity ;-)

When attending the college world series in Omaha in June, and Missouri in July,  the temps close too 100 are so oppressive it takes your breath away.

It is truly amazing that Augustana can recruit kids to play at a school that small in South Dakota.  Looks like they have a few from Texas and one from California, but the rest look to be kids from small towns in the Midwest. That is some excellent coaching when you can build a team to win the D2 title that way.  Congrats to them and all the teams that survived a very long season into the final 8.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.