Skip to main content

I thought we had a thread for this already but maybe I am thinking of last year.

How is everyone’s season going? The warmer weather states are in full swing already.

Son’s team is a few games above .500 and have a chance to make the state tournament. Should be interesting down the stretch.

My son is a freshman (2021) this year. He’s gotten a few opportunities on varsity and he’s done well so far when given the chance. He’s hoping to earn some more chances.

I think they have 3 games this week. 1 more varsity tomorrow and a JV game on Wednesday before spring break.

Who else has games this week or is starting their season in the northern states?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We are now 8 games into the season and sit 7-1 after losing a tough game to our arch rivals in the championship game of a tourney over the weekend. However, we held on to the #1 spot in the state in the polls. The HC has gotten some weird ideas concerning the pitching staff and has used my 2018 in a reliever role all season. So far, he's thrown 10 innings, allowed 0 hits, 1 earned run (HBP followed by three consecutive walks), struck out 27, walked 9 and hit 4. Hitters are 0-29 against him and only two balls have been put in play, a sac bunt and a chopper to third. After his first rough appearance where he K'd 11 and walked 7 in 4.1 ip, he's calmed down and now struck out 18 of the last 20 batters he's faced and that's been, not against scrubs, but included striking out 10 in a row against the #2 and #5 teams in the state. 

He's also been sitting a solid 90-92/T93. The gun was in the shade, so you can really only read it if you pull the video up on a larger screen and look hard at it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVhSZW9djs

roothog66 posted:

We are now 8 games into the season and sit 7-1 after losing a tough game to our arch rivals in the championship game of a tourney over the weekend. However, we held on to the #1 spot in the state in the polls. The HC has gotten some weird ideas concerning the pitching staff and has used my 2018 in a reliever role all season. So far, he's thrown 10 innings, allowed 0 hits, 1 earned run (HBP followed by three consecutive walks), struck out 27, walked 9 and hit 4. Hitters are 0-29 against him and only two balls have been put in play, a sac bunt and a chopper to third. After his first rough appearance where he K'd 11 and walked 7 in 4.1 ip, he's calmed down and now struck out 18 of the last 20 batters he's faced and that's been, not against scrubs, but included striking out 10 in a row against the #2 and #5 teams in the state. 

He's also been sitting a solid 90-92/T93. The gun was in the shade, so you can really only read it if you pull the video up on a larger screen and look hard at it. 

Joaquin 'Wack' Campos: [after being the first Owl to get a foul tip off of Jimmy's fastball] Got a piece of that one!

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:

Joaquin 'Wack' Campos: [after being the first Owl to get a foul tip off of Jimmy's fastball] Got a piece of that one!

It's funny you use that quote because it's the first thing that came to mind for me. This was actually against a highly ranked school one classification below us, but we shouldn't have been playing them. Their dugout would go crazy when they fouled one off. They were badly mismatched and knew it. t one point one of the dad's in the stands is yelling at his kid, "Turn on it! Make contact!" Everyone around him laughed and he said, "It could happen."

9-1 and 6-0. We play a league game Thursday and then Saturday, Monday, Tuesday in a tournament over Easter break. Then another league game on Thursday after the tourney. Starting to get a good feel on some things and the best rotations off the bench. Still have a lot of work to do offensively but I think we will get there. Today will be the first day we have been on the field with temps where they normally are around here for this time of year. I am about sick and tired of freezing my butt off. Sunday it snowed 2 inches at my house. Today mid 70's and tomorrow approaching 80. Love this consistently crazy NC weather.

roothog66 posted:

Dalton looked good.  At the plate, the batters were reacting, not getting their motion going early enough.  Good pitching vs poor batting 

First games for my 2018 have been at a tourney in Mytrle Beach at Ripken.  1-3, so not a great start to the season, HC is fine tuning a few things.  Son was in MIF for first three games, with the last two in a double header.  His arm was a bit fatigued going into the 4th game where he was the SP.  Pitch count up to 78 with 54 S, so decent, he was sitting 85-87, first kid picked up a double, he seemed to be working out of the stretch through 4 innings, arm was hurting, they picked up 7 hits and won 8-1... Arm sore, not feeling hot about his performance.  We didn't realize he'd be SP after the previous days dbl hdr.  I would have advised against that...  Definitely not the normal set up for in season play.  He's typically been a closer and manning SS or 3B...  

They're finished and he's now off to Boca Grande for sun and fishing...the life.  I'm stuck in Chicago working...

((Edit: just looked at GC, off a bit:  TP 78, S 49, 20 batters faced, 3K's, 2 BB, lost 9-1))

Last edited by Gov

Jealous to all that have had so many games so far.  Opening day is supposed to be Sat 3/31.  Forecast looks OK so it should happen, unless the field (away) hasn't dried out due to the March snow storms we've had.

My 2019 is the opening day starter, but not sure how many innings he'll go.  He started our first preseason game and went 2 innings on Sat, then only 1 yesterday.  3 IP, 0 WHIP, 6K.  But that count won't help him go deep until mid April, as coach seems more focused on seeing who he has, rather than preparing for the season. Ugh...

My 2021 got to pitch his first varsity game this week.  The weather was bad and he got roughed up a bit in the beginning, but ended up being the WP.  Pitched 5 innings, striking out 5 allowed 1 run... he was exhausted the next day.  The weather has been crazy, we got in 3 games (2-1)since beginning of season.  I'm following the advice I received from parents on this forum to  just enjoy his first season of high school baseball!

JenksMom posted:

My 2021 got to pitch his first varsity game this week.  The weather was bad and he got roughed up a bit in the beginning, but ended up being the WP.  Pitched 5 innings, striking out 5 allowed 1 run... he was exhausted the next day.  The weather has been crazy, we got in 3 games (2-1)since beginning of season.  I'm following the advice I received from parents on this forum to  just enjoy his first season of high school baseball!

Great start to a varsity campaign. Good luck!

Son’s JV season ended last Wednesday. I think they only played 8 games due to rainouts and varsity rescheduling games. 

Varsity has a few games remaining and is probably a game or two above the cut line to make the playoffs. 

We don’t have the pitching depth that we probably need to make a run but we’ll see how it goes. Maybe they can get hot when it counts. 

We've only played 3 games because of weather, but the good thing is my 2019 son started all 3 games.  However, game 1 he threw 94 pitches and 90 game 2.

Today, after 6 innings he threw 95 pitches (over 20 in the 6th) and he had a 6-1 lead.  I was surprised when coach sent him out for the 7th.  After a leadoff single, coach comes to the mound where I figured he'd get the hook.  No!  After another single, he's finally yanked after 105 pitches.

Those two runners come around to score, so not only is he taxing his arm, but the ERA just needlessly went up, so now I'm pissed.  It's going to be a long season with HS, travel ball and showcases trying to get college bites.

I told my son he needs to talk to coach, but doubt he will.  There was no need to send him out for the 7th after 95 pitches.  Am I overreacting or should I say something to the coach if he doesn't? Coach only cares about his season where I'm thinking of the next 6 months and longer.

Last edited by CTbballDad
CTbballDad posted:

We've only played 3 games because of weather, but the good thing is my 2019 son started all 3 games.  However, game 1 he threw 94 pitches and 90 game 2.

Today, after 6 innings he threw 95 pitches (over 20 in the 6th) and he had a 6-1 lead.  I was surprised when coach sent him out for the 7th.  After a leadoff single, coach comes to the mound where I figured he'd get the hook.  No!  After another single, he's finally yanked after 105 pitches.

Those two runners come around to score, so not only is he taxing his arm, but the ERA just needlessly went up, so now I'm pissed.  It's going to be a long season with HS, travel ball and showcases trying to get college bites.

I told my son he needs to talk to coach, but doubt he will.  There was no need to send him out for the 7th after 95 pitches.  Am I overreacting or should I say something to the coach if he doesn't? Coach only cares about his season where I'm thinking of the next 6 months and longer.

Are you overreacting?  Too hard to tell.  So many possibilities that we don't know about.  Is your son's arm built up from lessons, pens, etc.?  If so, 94, 90 and then 105 with proper rest between is not an unusual or particularly high count for a junior starter who is looked upon to get deep into games.  It is It is certainly unusual that a HS coach would not be throwing and developing other pitchers (as I would do) as opposed to just running out his #1 guy repeatedly.  But if they are all league games and you keep getting weather cancelations, and he is pitching on normal rest, is this definitively bad?  Or just not what you and I would do?  

Do you know what happened when the coach went out in the 7th?  Is it possible that your son said he felt great and begged to finish?   Does he throw effortlessly?   Was he showing signs of tiring or are you just referring to the number?  Again, I'm not saying it was right.  It doesn't make sense to me as you described it but the real scenario is often not just what one person sees from a distance, particularly when the one person is the pitcher's dad and when things go a little south.  

You kinda lose me on a few things...

"... the ERA just needlessly went up".  What does that mean?  It was still him pitching, wasn't it?  Is it possible the coach had confidence that he was the best guy for the job and wanted to preserve the win.  How does that translate into "needlessly"?

Also, "coach only cares about his season where I'm thinking of the next 6 months and longer."  Well, if he is the HS coach, the HS season is supposed to be his primary focus.  And during HS season, it is supposed to be the primary focus of the players as well.  Now, the HS coach should absolutely be taking necessary precautions to protect his players' futures at the same time.  But I already addressed possible scenarios where that may or may not be the case here.  You also say something about he is taxing his arm.  All pitching is taxing on the arm.  You allowing your son to pitch at all is putting his arm in harms way.  Everyone will have differing opinions on exactly how much is too much. 

"It's going to be a long season with HS, travel ball and showcases trying to get college bites."  Yes, that does require careful planning to assure that he keeps his arm in shape.  But sometimes, it becomes really difficult to balance things vs the push to attend this showcase and that one, while keeping your commitment to your travel ball team.  Are you guys always perfect with that plan when it comes to his arm safety?  Not easy, is it?  Never perfect, is it?  Similar challenge that the coach faces.

All this said, yes, you should come up with realistic guidelines that everyone is reasonably comfortable with.  If you don't think the coach is going to make reasonably safe decisions to that end, then yes, you should talk to him, along with your son.

Not good up in MN, compared to previous three years. Varsity had their first scrimmage on artificial turf today, and hope to play their opener tomorrow, again on Turf(practice field). Snow is still on the ground on most grass fields, and soil still frozen once you go down a few inches. Also expecting snow this weekend, and below freezing temps for much of next week.

Bottom line is that not much BB is being played. Early am practices(all the other times are taken by regular customers) at indoor domes and a lot of batting cage time is the norm.

cabbagedad posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Are you overreacting?  Too hard to tell.  So many possibilities that we don't know about.  Is your son's arm built up from lessons, pens, etc.?  If so, 94, 90 and then 105 with proper rest between is not an unusual or particularly high count for a junior starter who is looked upon to get deep into games.  It is It is certainly unusual that a HS coach would not be throwing and developing other pitchers (as I would do) as opposed to just running out his #1 guy repeatedly.  But if they are all league games and you keep getting weather cancelations, and he is pitching on normal rest, is this definitively bad?  Or just not what you and I would do?  

Do you know what happened when the coach went out in the 7th?  Is it possible that your son said he felt great and begged to finish?   Does he throw effortlessly?   Was he showing signs of tiring or are you just referring to the number?  Again, I'm not saying it was right.  It doesn't make sense to me as you described it but the real scenario is often not just what one person sees from a distance, particularly when the one person is the pitcher's dad and when things go a little south.  

"... the ERA just needlessly went up".  What does that mean?  It was still him pitching, wasn't it?  Is it possible the coach had confidence that he was the best guy for the job and wanted to preserve the win.  How does that translate into "needlessly"?

Also, "coach only cares about his season where I'm thinking of the next 6 months and longer."  Well, if he is the HS coach, the HS season is supposed to be his primary focus.  And during HS season, it is supposed to be the primary focus of the players as well.  Now, the HS coach should absolutely be taking necessary precautions to protect his players' futures at the same time.  But I already addressed possible scenarios where that may or may not be the case here.  You also say something about he is taxing his arm.  All pitching is taxing on the arm.  You allowing your son to pitch at all is putting his arm in harms way.  Everyone will have differing opinions on exactly how much is too much. 

"It's going to be a long season with HS, travel ball and showcases trying to get college bites."  Yes, that does require careful planning to assure that he keeps his arm in shape.  But sometimes, it becomes really difficult to balance things vs the push to attend this showcase and that one, while keeping your commitment to your travel ball team.  Are you guys always perfect with that plan when it comes to his arm safety?  Not easy, is it?  Never perfect, is it?  Similar challenge that the coach faces.

All this said, yes, you should come up with realistic guidelines that everyone is reasonably comfortable with.  If you don't think the coach is going to make reasonably safe decisions to that end, then yes, you should talk to him, along with your son.

Thanks for the perspective, but I still think the coach messed this up:

I'm fine with my son throwing over 90 pitches, but not early April.  They/he needs to work up to that pitch count, especially with only 2 pre-season innings.

95 pitches after 6, which was the inning he threw the most, is enough.  He showed signs of fatigue and was not as sharp as his prior game.  Our state has a 110 pitch max rule, so throwing him out to maybe finish the inning in 15 pitches is foolish.

Our #2 and #3 senior starters were ready.  If you cannot rely on them to protect a 5 run lead, then our season is lost already.  Instead, he brings them in, for their first appearances of the year, with runners on and they struggle to close it, but finally do.  I believe you bring one in a clean inning, it's game set match.

To me, the ERA thing bugs me because he only gave up those hits because he was tired.  Then those runners scored when the relievers came in and we were OK with them scoring because we had a big lead.  A walk, then a SF and a ground out...he goes from 1 ER in 6IP to 3 ER in 6IP...that's a big deal.

My kid's 2022/23 team finally played a scrimmage against a local HSV team ranked low in their division (1-4) over the wintery spring break. They faced a few pitchers including their #2 starting pitcher. Team did remarkably well and even got a couple hits off their #2 starter pitcher (low to mid 80s). I was unable to attend with the work thing getting in the way again. My kid's middle school team played their first game over the weekend, temp was a "balmy" mid 30s with the wind. His team scored 8 runs in the first and 6 in the second and the coach may them coast the rest of the way to get run rule minimum...it was a bad flashback to the little league days. I think I will start knitting during those games

CTbballDad posted:
cabbagedad posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I'm fine with my son throwing over 90 pitches, but not early April.  They/he needs to work up to that pitch count, especially with only 2 pre-season innings.

95 pitches after 6, which was the inning he threw the most, is enough.  He showed signs of fatigue and was not as sharp as his prior game.  Our state has a 110 pitch max rule, so throwing him out to maybe finish the inning in 15 pitches is foolish.

Our #2 and #3 senior starters were ready.  If you cannot rely on them to protect a 5 run lead, then our season is lost already.  Instead, he brings them in, for their first appearances of the year, with runners on and they struggle to close it, but finally do.  I believe you bring one in a clean inning, it's game set match.

To me, the ERA thing bugs me because he only gave up those hits because he was tired.  Then those runners scored when the relievers came in and we were OK with them scoring because we had a big lead.  A walk, then a SF and a ground out...he goes from 1 ER in 6IP to 3 ER in 6IP...that's a big deal.

I agree with you.  That is a lot of pitches for that early in the season.  We would like to think that coaches are concerned about arm health but the reality is that some are more worried about winning.  Your son has to be his own advocate and if he isn't, yes, I would have a talk with the coach. JMO.

roothog66 posted:

This week is a reminder of what spring in Colorado is like. We had a doubleheader snowed out Saturday. We have a game this afternoon and the high is forecast to be 89. We play again on Saturday - TWO days later - and the high is expected to be 45. 

Yep, we have a forecast of 78 in CT for Sat, then 39 for Sunday.  New England at its finest!

CTbballDad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Added background helps.  I agree with most everything you said except the bolded.  How is that a big deal and to who?

Sorry, I'm a little extra sensitive to this at the moment.  We are coming off a loss where it became evident that a few individuals were more concerned with their own stats than the team and it cost the team.  This becomes glaringly evident to teammates and to RC's from colleges who are there watching body language as well as performance.  And those few players happen to have the few parents leading the way in instilling a selfish attitude.  This can really put a damper on a season for an otherwise great group of young men and a great group of families... just as reckless coaching can. 

Also, there are many situations where a pitcher must be brought in mid-inning.  If your #2 and #3 starters cannot come in mid-inning to secure a five run lead, there are bigger issues than what you are describing.  JMO.

he goes from 1 ER in 6IP to 3 ER in 6IP...that's a big deal.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal.  Coach was trying to let his top guy finish the game, but he got into trouble, and unfortunately, he wasn't able to finish.  He was responsible for the runners, and as a result, he was credited with those earned runs.  In the long run, the law of averages will work out, and your son will benefit from guys saving him. He may leave the bases loaded, and a reliever comes in to put out the fire.  It's baseball, and sometimes you get the short end of the stick.

rynoattack posted:

he goes from 1 ER in 6IP to 3 ER in 6IP...that's a big deal.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal.  Coach was trying to let his top guy finish the game, but he got into trouble, and unfortunately, he wasn't able to finish.  He was responsible for the runners, and as a result, he was credited with those earned runs.  In the long run, the law of averages will work out, and your son will benefit from guys saving him. He may leave the bases loaded, and a reliever comes in to put out the fire.  It's baseball, and sometimes you get the short end of the stick.

Honestly, if you spend too much time worrying about HS statistics, you'll drive yourself crazy. Trust me on this. They are absolutely no factor in his importance to the team or in his future prospects. 

Speaking of the pitch count limits, it (sort of) bit my son in the rear end last night. We were playing the #5 team in 4A (we're 3A) and he took a no hitter into the seventh, up 2-0. Hit 110 pitches with 2 outs and had to leave the mound. So 6.2 innings of no hit ball. Just to brag for a minute, he had a hell of an outing. 15 K's, 4 BB's. He was sitting 91-93 through 4 innings and still 89-91 late and topped out at 94 several times (a personal best). So, on the season now he has thrown 16.2 innings and hasn't given up a hit yet - K'd 42. Every appearance was against a team ranked in the state no lower than #5. The latest velocity bump has been a big boost. 

Well, the first game of the season is in the books. Was teeth chatteringly cold, and played on a turf practice field. Had to leave after the 6th, and missed my son's unexpected debut as a closer. He used to pitch quite a bit, but hasn't for the last couple of years. His speed and glove are needed in the field. Said his first curve landed 40' away, but things got better later on. All in all, not a bad game under the conditions. 

Apparently more snow(6") coming this weekend. 

A Freshman kid on the other team is already committed to Vandy? Seems like cradle robbing, to me.

We've had four regular season games with volatile temperatures, rain and snow.  The past Thursday my 2018 landed on the 15 day DL... at game time it was 60 with 10mph winds, an hour later it was 43.  Son was scheduled to pitch, he felt off in warm up only to adjust his arm  slot to avoid pain, lasted less than two innings.  Son was mortified thinking his baseball career was done, only to find out he was a bit out of balance from the front side of his shoulder.  "Internal rotation - GIRD type thing"  Anyway, we were relieved to find out that after two weeks he'll be good to go...

The Doctor told him point blank:  If you want to play baseball in college you should stay focused on your primary position as a MIF.  He said he's never done surgery on a position player... He said leave the pitching to those guys over 6'2 who have the levers.

Still only one game in the books. This week's games are all cancelled, and probably next weeks. To add insult to injury,  indoor dome time has also been cancelled. The recent 14" of snow is so heavy that the dome is in peril of collapsing, and so sticky that it isn't falling off. Special work crew needs to knock it off, somehow.

Nice balmy 82 degrees for our start time. We play Friday. Of course, snow is in the forecast. Last night, though, my 2018 got the no-hitter. A five inning, run rule affair, but, nevertheless goes in the books as a no-no. 13 K's, no walks. He did hit three batters. Only one batter put a ball in play - a line drive to F3 (the other out was a caught stealing by one of the HBP's). On the season now he has 21.2 ip, has given up ZERO hits, K'd 55, walked 13 and has an era of 0.32 (he gave up an earned run in his first appearance of the year when he hit a batter with two outs and then walked the next three). 

It really only hit me last night that he will only likely have one more regular season start and that senior season will be over in just about a month. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • AHS_2809
roothog66 posted:

Nice balmy 82 degrees for our start time. We play Friday. Of course, snow is in the forecast. Last night, though, my 2018 got the no-hitter. A five inning, run rule affair, but, nevertheless goes in the books as a no-no. 13 K's, no walks. He did hit three batters. Only one batter put a ball in play - a line drive to F3 (the other out was a caught stealing by one of the HBP's). On the season now he has 21.2 ip, has given up ZERO hits, K'd 55, walked 13 and has an era of 0.32 (he gave up an earned run in his first appearance of the year when he hit a batter with two outs and then walked the next three). 

It really only hit me last night that he will only likely have one more regular season start and that senior season will be over in just about a month. 

Congrats on that outstanding stat line - especially ZERO hits allowed. 

trojan-skipper posted:

sheesh... 21.2 innings and 0 hits.... that's freakishly good

Puts it on the line tomorrow against our conference rivals and the only team to have beaten us this year (we're 15-1 - they beat us 5-4 in a non-conference tourney game). As far as we can find, it looks like the state record is 29 consecutive hitless innings back in 1986. Can't find any record for hitless innings to start a season. This will be his last regular season start. Senior season has flown by.

roothog66 posted:

My 2018 gave up his first hit of the season last night. So, he extended it to 23.2 ip without a hit. Now stands at 28.2 ip and one hit on the season. 69 K's. Batters are 1-for-85 against him (0.012 OBA). 

Beyond amazing.  The stat that sticks out to me is the K's.  In my uninformed and unscientific opinion, K's per inning gives the best indication of success at the next level.  Your son's ratio is freakish.

roothog66 posted:

My 2018 gave up his first hit of the season last night. So, he extended it to 23.2 ip without a hit. Now stands at 28.2 ip and one hit on the season. 69 K's. Batters are 1-for-85 against him (0.012 OBA). 

Geez, Root, where did things go wrong?  Whatever he ate pre-game yesterday, remove it from the diet immediately.  Need to get that boy back on track   

cabbagedad posted:
roothog66 posted:

Geez, Root, where did things go wrong?  Whatever he ate pre-game yesterday, remove it from the diet immediately.  Need to get that boy back on track   

Nah. That's his secret. He only eats hot dogs and McDoubles as far as I can tell.

Yesterday was the first really nice, upper 60’s sunny day. I decided to bike to a high school game. I got there. No game. A player walked out to get in his father’s car. Has anyone ever had a game postponed due to a manhunt? A cop killer was still at large. But it was 75 miles away.

RJM posted:

Yesterday was the first really nice, upper 60’s sunny day. I decided to bike to a high school game. I got there. No game. A player walked out to get in his father’s car. Has anyone ever had a game postponed due to a manhunt? A cop killer was still at large. But it was 75 miles away.

Uh...yeah...that's a first for me.

Trying to instill a bit more toughness in our V team...

Today, the boys had to show up as helpers for the Booster Club Golf Tournament that is the primary fundraiser for athletics.  They were able to come in shorts.  So the first two senior players show up... the first has socks with popsicles and the second has socks with penquins.   Much work to do on the toughness thing...

On a brighter note, with four league games to play, we have a slight lead and control our destiny at 14-3 in league.  

Another small world irony with HSBBW ties... as a long time follower and admirer of Coach May, I was excited to see that he got back into coaching the HS ranks this year..   interesting to see how many parallels even though we are coasts apart.  Roughly same size public HS, very similar in standings in league, league makeup, overall record, league record, relative state rank, even very close in Maxpreps national ranking.  I'll follow in those footsteps any day.  Here's to a strong finish (or start) for all HSBBW families, players, coaches and programs!

roothog66 posted:

What a slacker! He couldn’t get to 0-86? j/k

What an awesome stat line! Now it’s time for a new streak. 

We play our last regular season game Saturday. While it's listed as a regular season game, it's really a Conference Championship. We're split into two divisions and the division champs play each other. For your viewing pleasure, I edited down my 2018's to just the pitches he threw on Thursday. Went over the video over the weekend and it broke down like this:

Of the 112 pitches he threw, I got velos on 83 fastballs. Nothing below 89 mph.

18 at 89 mph (14 of the 18 in the sixth and seventh innings)

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

His last pitch (#112) was 91mph

It's in two parts totaling about 9 or 10 minutes, if any one is interested in watching.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAEeqYP4rs

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKul-b7cfo

roothog66 posted:

We play our last regular season game Saturday. While it's listed as a regular season game, it's really a Conference Championship. We're split into two divisions and the division champs play each other. For your viewing pleasure, I edited down my 2018's to just the pitches he threw on Thursday. Went over the video over the weekend and it broke down like this:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

It's in two parts totaling about 9 or 10 minutes, if any one is interested in watching.

Awesome Root! Sitting 89-91, touching 93 -- Wow!

2019Dad posted:
roothog66 posted:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

Awesome Root! Sitting 89-91, touching 93 -- Wow!

+1

Won district outright at 12-2.  Play the fourth best team from another district in the first round.  In Texas, it is either a one game or three game series that the coaches agree to.  If they don't agree, they flip a coin.  We lost.  One game series against a senior TCU commit pitcher Thursday night.

Son is behind three senior pitchers that took them deep in playoffs last year.  Pitched 25 innings, gave up one earned run.  Led the team in batting!  Well technically and not really.  He was a PO, but went in for a pitcher hitting for himself.  Went 1-2 with a walk.  Everytime coach pulls up the stats spreadsheet, he's at the top.  Coach says every time, "that's only on two at bats."

Go44dad posted:

Won district outright at 12-2.  Play the fourth best team from another district in the first round.  In Texas, it is either a one game or three game series that the coaches agree to.  If they don't agree, they flip a coin.  We lost.  One game series against a senior TCU commit pitcher Thursday night.

Son is behind three senior pitchers that took them deep in playoffs last year.  Pitched 25 innings, gave up one earned run.  Led the team in batting!  Well technically and not really.  He was a PO, but went in for a pitcher hitting for himself.  Went 1-2 with a walk.  Everytime coach pulls up the stats spreadsheet, he's at the top.  Coach says every time, "that's only on two at bats."

We lost the toss too. One game Wednesday.

Last edited by baseballhs
baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:

We lost the toss two. One game Wednesday.

Just doesn't seem right to win district at 12-2 and then an 8-6 team gets to flip to decide the format most favorable to them.  But, oh well.

Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:
Go44dad posted:

We lost the toss two. One game Wednesday.

Just doesn't seem right to win district at 12-2 and then an 8-6 team gets to flip to decide the format most favorable to them.  But, oh well.

This is my 15th year and I can't bevel the UIL won't fix this. 3-games needs to be the default unless both coaches agree on a 1-game format. Luckily we won a flip to get to play 3-games this first round.

Of course when I was in school there wasn't even a flip. If one coach wanted to go 1-game then it was a 1-game playoff.

Ridiculous.

The Texas system would be a big improvement on our's. Our whole playoff system is one game per matchup. 32 team bracket, single elimination, win 5 and you're the champ. I just checked Maxpreps, and there are 16 teams in D1 (our division) ranked in the Top 160 in Maxpreps (roughly top 1% in the country) so it is a complete crapshoot. 

Edited to add: and 27 teams in the Top 500

Last edited by 2019Dad
2019Dad posted:

The Texas system would be a big improvement on our's. Our whole playoff system is one game per matchup. 32 team bracket, single elimination, win 5 and you're the champ. I just checked Maxpreps, and there are 16 teams in D1 (our division) ranked in the Top 160 in Maxpreps (roughly top 1% in the country) so it is a complete crapshoot. 

In Colorado, it works like this:

32 teams. First weekend is eight districts (by seed - not geography) of four teams. Single elimination. The 8 district winners advance to an 8-team double-elimination bracket. The only part I don't like is the single elimination Districts. Just add a couple of time slots and make it double-elim like the NCAA. Problem with this set up is you often get lower seeded team who happen to have only one very good pitcher pull the upset and then move on to double-elim where they have basically no chance becuase the remainder of their staff is bad and the reason they were a low seed in the first place.

roothog66 posted:

22 at 90 mph

39 at 91 mph

3 at 92 mph 

1 at 93 mph

Very impressive root, congrats!

2019Dad posted:

Yeah, Calif. Southern Section is brutal.  Seven divisions with an average of about 70 teams per division.  There are teams in D5 that can beat decent D1 teams on a given day.  Some divisions have the 32 team bracket plus play-in "wildcard" games.  All single elimination.  Very tough to get through any bracket.

2019, we faced a handful of good D1 teams from SoCal in our Easter Tourney... I forget if I already knew, would be curious to know what school your son is at.  PM if you'd like, will pull for you guys in a few weeks!  

We had a good win last night... 2 game lead with 3 to play in league.  Could get interesting.

Last edited by cabbagedad
cabbagedad posted:
2019Dad posted:

Yeah, Calif. Southern Section is brutal.  Seven divisions with an average of about 70 teams per division.  There are teams in D5 that can beat decent D1 teams on a given day.  Some divisions have the 32 team bracket plus play-in "wildcard" games.  All single elimination.  Very tough to get through any bracket.

2019, we faced a handful of good D1 teams from SoCal in our Easter Tourney... I forget if I already knew, would be curious to know what school your son is at.  PM if you'd like, will pull for you guys in a few weeks!  

We had a good win last night... 2 game lead with 3 to play in league.  Could get interesting.

Good luck! Sent you a PM

Go44dad posted:

Won the "one-game" series 8-1 to advance.  TCU commit was big and threw hard, but wild.  Looked like playoff pressure got to his fielders behind him, didn't help him much. Senior "who always throws complete games and wins, but is not playing baseball after HS" threw an 88 pitch complete game.  And was very angry at himself when he gave up a run.  SRO

Play Cy-Ranch next week.  Big time series.  I think we are 5, 6 respectively in rankings.  Beat them last year in third game, third round.  Last inning, two out come from behind several runs type of beat them.

We played our conference championship game yesterday. Ours is the only conference in the state at any level split into divisions. Despite being ranked #1 in the state in the polls and in the rpi, we could only secure a first round district host spot by winning the championship game vs. the Western division champs, so, five hours into the mountains we traveled.

For whatever reason, our HC didn't really give our opponents the respect they deserve despite them being a top 10 ranked team. He decided he's start our #2, have him pitch a couple of innings, and then go to dalton for two innings, and so on down the rotation since we wouldn't be playing for a week after this. That almost backfired as our #2 struggled uncharacteristically and got us in a 5-0 hole by the end of the second. Meanwhile, they had a lefty on the mound shutting us down. We finally brought dalton in starting with the third and he threw five innings of no-hit shutout ball to give us a chance. We had scratched back to within one run, but still, entering the seventh, we were down 5-4 when our three-hole hitter bailed us out. He smashed an 0-2 fastball off the scoreboard at about 385' for the win. I'm attaching pictures from the at bat. It was a no-doubter from the swing. I honestly cried when he hit it and not because of the win-loss component, but just because I know what this kid may not realize for a decade or more - many people will live their entire lives without ever having a moment that can bring you this kind if joy. 

Dalton continued his great season. He finishes the regular season having thrown 33.2 innings and still given up only the one hit. An era of .042 with 80 K's. His opponent batting avg. is .010 (hitters are 1-for-100 against him). Let's hope that continues in the playoffs starting next Saturday.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Jacobs GS

Need someone to talk me off the ledge.  My 2019 RHP son just got through their tough schedule stretch, where they won 9 games and my son got 4 W and a save.  He started today in a laugher, but coach pulled him after 4 IP, so he's available to pitch on Friday.  That move cost him a W and it's really eating at me.

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a sht about my son.

To add to it, coach has been unapproachable about helping with college recruiting.  Now I see why many kids have transferred to private school and repeat a year.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford that!

CTbballDad posted:

Need someone to talk me off the ledge.  My 2019 RHP son just got through their tough schedule stretch, where they won 9 games and my son got 4 W and a save.  He started today in a laugher, but coach pulled him after 4 IP, so he's available to pitch on Friday.  That move cost him a W and it's really eating at me.

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a sht about my son.

To add to it, coach has been unapproachable about helping with college recruiting.  Now I see why many kids have transferred to private school and repeat a year.  Unfortunately, I cannot afford that!

Not sure I understand... so you would rather he get one more inning in a laugher so he could add a W to his personal W-L record than have him available to help his team get what I assume would be a more meaningful win at the end of the week?  ?

I swear, I must be losing it... trying to figure out what is happening to the concept of TEAM when talking about a TEAM sport.  Sorry, not sympathetic at all on this one.  If anything, the coach should have pulled him sooner, depending on when it became a laugher.  

The goal is for the team to win, not for the individuals to pad stats.  Is the problem that the coach doesn't give a sht about your son or that your son doesn't give a sht about the team... or at least as much as he does about getting his personal W??

Earlier in this thread, you complained that he was being pitched in a game too long.  Now it's too short.  Then, you also complained about his ERA unnecessarily being increased because he wasn't at his best.  Again, the focus on the individual and not the team.  If your son shares your views on this being the focus, it may have something to do with why the coach isn't offering up much help with the college recruiting aspect.  When I have a talented player who thinks that way, I don't make any effort to help with recruiting either because I don't want to do that to the college coach.   I've seen far too often how that ends up.

Last edited by cabbagedad
CTbballDad posted:

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a shit about my son.

I would say the opposite of not caring about your son. It sounds like he gave him a tune up outing and wants to use him sooner as a pitcher against a tougher team. There is a way better chance if he pitches well against a good team of playing after HS than a W against a bad team.

HS W-L record means nothing as far as playing after HS.

Imagine if every player got to make those decisions and not the coach? Imagine if the coach had to check with the parents to see what they wanted him to do before he made a decision. The coach has a job to do. He is attempting to put his team in the best position to win games. Of course there will be people who will second guess his decisions. But that's not the point. He is the coach. It's his decision to make. When he shows up at your job and starts telling you how to do your job then let him know he's out of bounds.

Last night in the state playoffs I pulled a Sr who was throwing a shut out after four innings. I took him out of the game. He gave me a hug as he walked off the field and pulled for his team mates. In the 6th I pinch hit for another Sr so he could go to the pen to potentially throw the top of the 7th. "Coach will I hit this inning." No go to the pen and get loose I want you to throw the top of the 7th to get some work. "Yes sir." He didn't get to pitch because we run ruled them in the bottom of the 6th. You see that's called a team. You better check this mentality and your son better check it if he has the me disease. Because I can assure you if he has any desire to play at the next level that disease will be sniffed out and snuffed out rather quickly.

I can tell you this the moment a player indicates to me that he is more important than we are there are going to be issues and we are going to get that straight. Come on your son did good. The team did good. Why would you take a nice bowl of stew and take a dump right in the middle of it?

cabbagedad posted:
CTbballDad posted:

your son doesn't give a sht about the team... or at least as much as he does about getting his personal W??

To be fair, it's dad out on this particular ledge. He doesn't say anything about his son's feelings. And isn't that often the case that parents take these things differently than the kids who actually are on the team?

Ja'Crispy posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I know many here say stats don't matter, but pulling a kid before he qualifies for a W so he can pitch again on one days rest is making me think coach doesn't give a shit about my son.

I would say the opposite of not caring about your son. It sounds like he gave him a tune up outing and wants to use him sooner as a pitcher against a tougher team. There is a way better chance if he pitches well against a good team of playing after HS than a W against a bad team.

HS W-L record means nothing as far as playing after HS.

Check that. Of all statistics anyone looks at with a high school pitcher, w/l is by far the least important - by far. In fact, completely meaningless.

CTbballDad posted:

Under NFHS rules, you only need to pitch 3 innings to qualify for a win.  And even if you don't , the scorekeepers can do whatever they want, so tell them to give your son the W.

hsbaseball101 posted:
CTbballDad posted:

Under NFHS rules, you only need to pitch 3 innings to qualify for a win.  And even if you don't , the scorekeepers can do whatever they want, so tell them to give your son the W.

I believe it's 4 innings in a 7 inning game, but 3 innings if it's less than 7.

Yeah. Here's the rule. However, I think most scorekeepers end up ignoring it completely, another reason that W/L means little in HS ball:

ART. 6 . . . Winning and losing pitchers are determined as follows:
a. If the starting pitcher has pitched the first four innings or more and his team is ahead when he is replaced and the team holds the lead for the
remainder of the game, he shall be the winning pitcher.
b. If a game ends for whatever reason, having gone less than seven innings, then the starting pitcher shall have pitched three or more consecutive innings to be declared the winning pitcher. If the starting pitcher cannot be declared the winning pitcher, and more than one relief pitcher is used, the winning pitcher shall be determined using the following criteria:
1. If the score is tied, it results in the game becoming a new contest so far as judging who is the winning and losing pitcher. 
2. If the starting pitcher is removed before having pitched four or more innings and his team is ahead, the official scorer shall determine the winning pitcher to be the relief pitcher who has been the most effective.
3. If the opposition goes ahead, pitchers up to that time in the game cannot be credited with the win. However, if the pitcher pitching subsequently
takes and maintains a lead the remainder of the game, said pitcher is credited with the win.
4. Generally the relief pitcher credited with the win is the pitcher when his team takes the lead and holds it for the rest of the game. However, if the relief pitcher pitches only a short while or not effectively and a succeeding relief pitcher replaces him and does better work in keeping the lead, the latter shall be granted the win.
c. If a pitcher is removed for a pinch-hitter or a pinch-runner, the runs scored by his team during the inning of his removal are to be credited to his benefit to decide the pitcher of record.
d. The starting pitcher shall be charged with the loss when he is replaced and his team is behind or falls behind because of runs assessed to him after
being replaced and his team does not subsequently tie the score or take the lead.
e. A pitcher cannot be given credit for pitching a shutout when he does not pitch the complete game except when he enters the game with no one out before the opponents have scored in the first inning and does not permit the opposition to score during the game.

ART. 7 . . . In order for a pitcher to be credited with a save, he shall meet all three of the following criteria:
a. he is the last pitcher in a game won by his team; and b. he is not the winning pitcher; and
c. he meets at least one of the following:
1. he enters the game with a lead of not more than three runs and pitches at least one inning; or
2. he enters the game regardless of the count on the batter with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck; or 
3. he pitches effectively for at least three innings. 
4. A starting pitcher who is replaced and then re-enters as pitcher can be credited with a win but not a save.

Man, we are still in the thick of things  in the upper midwest. Lotta games to make up for a slow start. Special jr. pinch hit, and was pinch run for, the second time this year. Surreal for him, because he's the fastest kid on the team, normally, but he has been out with a sprained ankle caused by stepping in an OF pothole early on...said pothole being caused the thaw, and lack of field prep. 

Like I said, it's been a late spring. A lot of the pitchers look rusty. Some of the "studs"(D1 and very good D2 recruits) that I know about from seeing them on summer teams just aren't looking sharp. The hitters certainly seem to be ahead.

The team has better fielding than last year's. Last year's team has some great athletic ability, but this year's team seems to be better ball players. Like all teams, it seems like we could use more pitching, but otherwise we look pretty good. Definitely top 10 in state(son said that we are in the Midwest top 10 in some USA Today poll, which I didn't even know existed...seems to be a reach) with a shot...it's all about pitching for us.

Last edited by 57special

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.