Skip to main content

Nine years ago one of my high school classmates gathered 12 boys and their parents and told them that he wanted to start a baseball team. It wasn't that they were the best baseball players around, he said, but he thought they had the potential to start early and learn the game and to work together and to end their HS careers at the state tournament.

Well, last night six of those boys took the field as starters on the HS varsity team in a game that could take them to state — and lost. We went down 0-2. My son pitched and gave up a two-run home run. He said later he left a curve ball hanging. But honestly, didn't matter. You can win if you don't score.

There's a lot of discussion on this site about the value of HS ball versus travel. All I can tell you is what my son tweeted last night — "Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. I've made lifelong friendships, met great people, great players and brothers. I've grown as a person and a player. I can't thank all of my coaches and teammates enough. They constantly pushed me and truly are responsible for where, and who, I am today."

And in the end, even an end that isn't what you wanted, that's all you can hope for.

Iowamom23 posted:

Nine years ago one of my high school classmates gathered 12 boys and their parents and told them that he wanted to start a baseball team. It wasn't that they were the best baseball players around, he said, but he thought they had the potential to start early and learn the game and to work together and to end their HS careers at the state tournament.

Well, last night six of those boys took the field as starters on the HS varsity team in a game that could take them to state — and lost. We went down 0-2. My son pitched and gave up a two-run home run. He said later he left a curve ball hanging. But honestly, didn't matter. You can win if you don't score.

There's a lot of discussion on this site about the value of HS ball versus travel. All I can tell you is what my son tweeted last night — "Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing. I've made lifelong friendships, met great people, great players and brothers. I've grown as a person and a player. I can't thank all of my coaches and teammates enough. They constantly pushed me and truly are responsible for where, and who, I am today."

And in the end, even an end that isn't what you wanted, that's all you can hope for.

My son's team lost in the state championship game. My son didn't join them until they were 14 and we moved here. The rest of the team had been together since they were 8, played in two Cal Ripken World Series together, including the coveted 12yo WS. Since they were kids, they didn't talk about playing in the majors or playing in college. Their goal had always been to win a state championship for the high school. As it is, they entered the state tournament ranked #1 three times in the past four years, but that state championship eluded them in the end, despite setting several school records, including most wins in a season this year. 

Standing on that field with those boys after getting spanked in the title game by a team we had beaten twice during the regular season and playoffs was about as heartbreaking an experience as I have had in sports, but life goes on and when the dust settles they will one day appreciate those high school years and what they accomplished. We live in a small town with a large baseball tradition. Several state championships and more mlb players than all but one school in Colorado. Being a high school baseball player here is a big deal. I'll miss it.

The high school baseball season in Iowa takes forever to start, and apparently even longer to end.

We thought my son's senior season was over when his team lost in substate a few weeks ago.

Then he got invited to the Iowa All Star series, a series of four games over a long weekend featuring four teams sorted by school size and geography. The series was played last weekend on the field where my son and his HS teammate will start their college careers.

Our team, Large School West, came in third out of four. Small Schools East won the whole thing.

It was a great wrap up for the season. The boys made new friends, and earned some final awards.

My son was named MVP for the All Star team after striking out eight over five innings in one of our two wins, and a pitcher on the super all-state team (the best players from all levels and ages in the state). His teammate was named Player of the Year and team captain for the All State team. Their high school coach joined them on the field to celebrate their achievements for the year.

Now, finally, we can start to focus on college. None too soon, move in is a week from today!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • A last celebration: Indianola baseball coach joins two of his players who received honors during the All Star Series at the University of Iowa.

C'mon high school baseball season, let's get here!

Lots of talent at son's school, particularly position players.  Some talented kids are going to get pushed up or pushed out.  Only two games a week during district, it will be interesting.

And good luck to the school moving up a level to 20-6A.  Toughens up the district schedule, no doubt.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.