Skip to main content

hi, my name is Tina and I'm new to this website.  Thanks for all your posts and knowledge.  Reading this is addicting and I look forward to it daily.  I have 2019 MIF/pitcher who lives in Michigan.  I see most showcase recommendation posts are south.  Any recommendations regarding resources in the Michigan area?  My son is "late bloomer and is only 5'8" 130# sophomore, with better than average glove and consistent pitching.  He played Jv as freshman starter and has played travel for 5 years.  He is working on getting stronger and doing imagepitching lessons in off season.  Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Images (1)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This might be a place to start.

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/michigan

Each state has its own franchise. Chris Valentine Owns Michigan ans well as Ohio and others. The head scout for Michigan is Aaron Wilson.

And in the summer there are many tournaments and showcases in this part of the world. My son played for a Columbus Ohio based team and played several showcase/tournament events in Michigan. There are many colleges in your area, from D1, d2,D3 and NAIA, Look for some reasonably priced local showcases so he can get his feet wet.

I do not know your son and cannot say whether he is ready or not. It has been said here many times, don't showcase until he has something to show.

Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad

I would suggest looking through the posts on this website.  Right now there are a couple of good ones going on discussing where a player should be (measurable-wise) when they showcase.  As said in the earlier post, its (for the most part) not worth showcasing until you have something to showcase.  

College HCs and RCs are interested in measurables, not stats.  For instance, they want to know a kids 60 yard time, his position velocity (if a position player), his bat exit velo, etc.  They want to know a pitchers FB velocity as well as the speed of their off speed pitches.  They don't care about ERA or batting average as those can be influenced by the  level of competition a player plays at.

What part of MI are you in?  Its a large state and if your on the westside I would consider looking at showcases and tourneys in Chicago as opposed to MI.  In addition if you can expand your geographical area some there are some good showcases and tourneys throughout the midwest.  Perfect Game runs showcases in IA or MO as well as FL.   As mentioned PBR can be good as well.  They can be hit or miss as its a franchise model and some areas are better then others.  Also, I think there maybe a couple of academic showcases run by some smaller organizations held in MI.  

Thank you for the responses.  We r in midmichigan.  I did see the gross point showcase that is listed on this website for Michigan that appears to have a large amount of colleges present.  We are not going to spend money on showcases until this summer when he will be going into his junior year. We are focusing on strengthening and pitching over winter.  He plays basketball so that takes away time.  I've educated myself regarding measurables a scout looks for but I honestly have no idea what his would be so hoping to do that gross point showcase which seems affordable.  

Mid Michigan. I ran track at SVSU back in the late 80s. My wife attended CMU. If you want to get his measurables and get him some exposure to the showcase format you may want to check both SVSU and CMU as they run exposure/ prospect camps. I would not expect much to come out of these as they are money makers for the coaches and programs but they would give him an idea where he stands.  I know SVSUs camp should be fairly cheap ($100???)

Not really exposure, but go watch some games, there are enough D1, D2 and D3 schools in the area. You canget a good idea of the level of play.

And not to be harsh, but change the we to he. Support and research as much as you can, but it is up to him to want it and put the work in. The earlier it changes to he the better. He is the one that needs to perform. It is a lesson we all learn. Some earlier than others, I was much happier when I did.

Good luck.

Showcases are fine next summer, but I'd also suggest getting on the best travel team he can get on and still see time on the field.  Coaches will attend tourneys on the weekends as much or more than they will attend showcases.....especially for juniors to be.  I would look for a team playing in some of the better scouted midwest events.....Cincy Flames, Grand Park in Indy and if at all possible some Midwest Scout League events.  If he hasn't already, he probably should have a video and be emailing coaches...if for no other reason than to get his name in front of coaches.  Tell them about himself and also where he'll be playing next summer.  Also, if his travel coach from last summer has connections, you may give his name to coaches in case they are looking to contact them.

This is such good info!   I will be more conscious of the "we" vs "he".  I think I use we more when it comes to $$$ �� I just don't think my 15 yo has a clue regarding the real world.  I try to serve it on a platter and he has to run with it and make the commitment.  He will be playing on a travel team coached by our HS JV school coach w/plan to play as many perfect game tournies as possible.  I will continue to read this website and educate myself and be a sponge soaking up all the knowledge you guys are willing to give! 

I like pics, hope not annoying but makes it more personal.

Attachments

Images (1)

Joes87, small world!  I too went to CMU early 90s.  Ty did an overnight camp at CMU freshman summer just for experience, knowing it wasn't showcase.  That would be his dream school but I'm sure not realistic.  I will prob send him to prospect camp at both this summer.  Just want to give him time to get bigger and work on skills.  I wish i did a video for him in the fall but was too overwhelmed by the idea.  I'll definitely do it in spring and have Ty send to colleges of interest with his summer schedule! 

Attachments

Images (1)

I cannot speak directly to the camps that Tampa mentioned, but from my experience many of these camps at the D1's have assistant coaches from other levels. When my son did the Dayton Camp, there were many D3 assistant coaches there. Most of them had already been in contact and stopped by to say hello and spent time talking to my son. I know there have been changes to the rules by the NCAA. as far as camps, but I do not know if that effects D3 coaches at a D1 camp.

Which reminds me, Oh I miss 3fingeredGlove.

Last edited by BishopLeftiesDad
Ty's mom posted:

This is such good info!   I will be more conscious of the "we" vs "he".  I think I use we more when it comes to $$$ �� I just don't think my 15 yo has a clue regarding the real world.  I try to serve it on a platter and he has to run with it and make the commitment.  He will be playing on a travel team coached by our HS JV school coach w/plan to play as many perfect game tournies as possible.  I will continue to read this website and educate myself and be a sponge soaking up all the knowledge you guys are willing to give! 

I like pics, hope not annoying but makes it more personal.

That should help with the exposure.  If he stands out as a hitter or a pitcher and is named to an all tourney team that could help.  There are colleges that put in the PG search engines "Need a player who is a 2019, named to at least 2 all tourney teams, within 100 miles, and lists that he plays position X". 

Ty's mom posted:

Joes87, small world!  I too went to CMU early 90s.  Ty did an overnight camp at CMU freshman summer just for experience, knowing it wasn't showcase.  That would be his dream school but I'm sure not realistic.  I will prob send him to prospect camp at both this summer.  Just want to give him time to get bigger and work on skills.  I wish i did a video for him in the fall but was too overwhelmed by the idea.  I'll definitely do it in spring and have Ty send to colleges of interest with his summer schedule! 

CMU is one of the schools that was after my son.  This was before he decided not to play college ball.  For a smaller D1 school they have a decent program.  Coaches all seemed like good guys, but that could be because they were recruiting my son.  They sent him an email a couple of weeks back asking if he had changed his mind as they are still looking for a player or two at his position.  My wife would love for him to play there, but as my son says, "it ain't gonna happen".  

Ty's Mom - He is a 2017 and decided to not pursue college between his Soph and Jr. HS year.  Pretty much after winter workouts and just prior to the start of the HS tryouts.  He continues to play HS ball and will finish out his HS career.  I put up a post a while back regarding his decision.  If you search on my name Im sure you will find it.

He plays 1B and is a RHP. 

We are in Michigan too.  Here is the link for PBR event my son did after his sophomore year:  https://www.prepbaseballreport...mes-invite-only.html  The cost is reasonable.  All the local colleges are there every year and it started communication for my 2017 with a few small schools.  I can only speak from his experience, but the best thing you can do is play for a solid travel team/organization.  Son's travel coach has been in the industry a long time and knows everyone.  I give him credit for all of the serious interest that son received and since 2017 is going JUCO route, coach is already working on his recruiting for after JUCO.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.