Skip to main content

RJM posted:
ClevelandDad posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Aren't D3 signing days just for show? They're not signing/committing to anything. They're not getting athletic money. The kid might be #50 on the roster and never dress for a game. 

pretty sure all signing days regardless if they are getting something or not are just for show....if not for show what else would they be for?

I agree with old_school.  All signing days are for show.  No need to imply the D3 signing is any less than a D1 signing.  Some D3 players turn out to be better than D1 players down the road so I am not sure why we need a distinction on signing day.  Committing to play for a college is a big deal imho regardless of the level.  Most of us never even played high school ball let alone college baseball so imho, signing to play at the collegiate level should be celebrated.

I've always felt signing days were more about the high school than the player. Anyone who is really interested already knows where the kid is committed.

Its interesting after the travel team does most of the recruiting work for the player the high school gets the media exposure. Then on the college website the high school is listed. You might find the kid's travel team in the "personal" section.

this response has nothing to do with your post referenced above, I do agree with you to a degree but lots of local people who don't know a damn thing about baseball read the paper and see the pictures, maybe the kids boss, maybe the kids grandparents, maybe the JR high coach who he loved but is really a biology teacher at a middle school and doesn't coach baseball anymore.

Again the point was you trivialized it because of some unknown reason.

Here's another factor, depending of course on the school: at son's HS the coaches are very explicit in the parents' meeting that "the backup isn't necessarily on varsity." The backups on varsity won't get to play much, if at all, and the coaches may hold a kid down who is good enough to be on varsity, but not good enough to start on varsity.

My mantra has always been "if we can't get you 4 ABs or meaningful innings on the mound you'll be playing JV." Now as the season nears an end that becomes more flexible, because they've likely had a lot of ABs or innings on subvarsity, so the development piece isn't as big since they nearly have a whole JV season under their belts.

By the end of the season I more likely to pad the varsity bench for big games with an extra arm or a kid who can run. I see part of their development as getting them used to the varsity environment, as well. I don't want their first varsity experience to be the first playoff game if/when they're called up.

ironhorse posted:

My mantra has always been "if we can't get you 4 ABs or meaningful innings on the mound you'll be playing JV." Now as the season nears an end that becomes more flexible, because they've likely had a lot of ABs or innings on subvarsity, so the development piece isn't as big since they nearly have a whole JV season under their belts.

Ironhorse, can you expand on the "4ABs"?  Are you talking per game?  If so, how do you do that and keep a suitable bench with role players to pinch hit, run, bullpen catch, etc?

ironhorse posted:

By the end of the season I more likely to pad the varsity bench for big games with an extra arm or a kid who can run. I see part of their development as getting them used to the varsity environment, as well. I don't want their first varsity experience to be the first playoff game if/when they're called up.

Exactly. There are ~25 guys on varsity, but ~15 of them get virtually all of the at bats and innings pitched. The bottom 10 don't get to play much, absent an injury.

And agreed it becomes a little different in playoffs.

cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Ironhorse, can you expand on the "4ABs"?  Are you talking per game?  If so, how do you do that and keep a suitable bench with role players to pinch hit, run, bullpen catch, etc?

Yes, per game. Meaning if they're not starting they stay down.  Often we have seniors, that in Texas at least have to be on varsity, that fill those roles. There are always a tweener kid or 2 that we move up and down almost every game depending on needs that night. If we think he will pitch for us that night he'll be with us, if not he'll play OF on JV and get ABs, or something like that. I could justify it if I KNEW we were going to need a bat of the bench and the JV was definitely going to hit. I just hate to have him there and not get him in when he could have played if he was down.

Doesn't always work perfectly, but it's the overall philosophy we use.

cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Not answering for Ironhorse as he may have a different situation, but here in IL, at least the Chicagoland area Varsity and JV are the same team.  The players who don't get meaningful playing time during the Varsity games play in the JV games.  The JV schedule at our HS consists of 6 games plus the 2nd game of the Saturday double headers.  Those are shortened to 5 inning normally.  The varsity schedule contains 38 games.  The JV schedule contains 8 Saturday double header game 2's and 6 other games for a total of 14 games.  The non-Varsity starters will have to attend all 38 Varsity games as bench players, plus the additional 6 JV games.  The Varsity starters will be required to attend all 38 games, stay for the 2nd game of the doubleheaders, but most likely will be excused from attending the additional 6 games.

joes87 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Not answering for Ironhorse as he may have a different situation, but here in IL, at least the Chicagoland area Varsity and JV are the same team.  The players who don't get meaningful playing time during the Varsity games play in the JV games.  The JV schedule at our HS consists of 6 games plus the 2nd game of the Saturday double headers.  Those are shortened to 5 inning normally.  The varsity schedule contains 38 games.  The JV schedule contains 8 Saturday double header game 2's and 6 other games for a total of 14 games.  The non-Varsity starters will have to attend all 38 Varsity games as bench players, plus the additional 6 JV games.  The Varsity starters will be required to attend all 38 games, stay for the 2nd game of the doubleheaders, but most likely will be excused from attending the additional 6 games.

That's what we have as well in our district.  But, it looks like some neighboring districts are changing it up and going Freshman, JV (soph and Jr.) and Varsity (Jr./Sr.) due to numbers.  So our Soph. team played a bunch of JV competition last year. 

ironhorse posted:
cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Yes, per game. Meaning if they're not starting they stay down.  Often we have seniors, that in Texas at least have to be on varsity, that fill those roles. There are always a tweener kid or 2 that we move up and down almost every game depending on needs that night. If we think he will pitch for us that night he'll be with us, if not he'll play OF on JV and get ABs, or something like that. I could justify it if I KNEW we were going to need a bat of the bench and the JV was definitely going to hit. I just hate to have him there and not get him in when he could have played if he was down.

Thanks.  Sounds ideal.  

We have the same senior rule but, typically, around here, if a senior sees he will still be relegated to a bit role for his last year and still expected to put in the full time commitment, he will most often quit and go enjoy doing something else.  So, we are dealing with underclassmen fighting to earn their way up the pecking order filling those roles and, certainly, one of the negatives is lack of game reps.  Of course there are many positives but it is always a tough situation for some.  The V team needs competent and important role players.  Role players need reps.

Sorry, back to the OP's topic...

hshuler posted:

We have a senior at our high school.  

9th grade - freshmen squad

10 grade - JV squad

11 grade - varsity 

He picked up an offer from Power 5 last fall. 

So, I say doesn't matter. 

I completely agree with hshuler. The sequence hshuler posted is the same exact progression my son experienced in HS baseball. Now he a freshman playing at a Pac12 school.

I loved my son's JV season as a sophomore. And yet many of my friends were just so agonized over their son's not making V by sophomore year. Please avoid the unnecessary agony of JV versus V in high school and enjoy it for what it is. You only get that year once.

joes87 posted:
cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Joes I had to get used to JV meaning sophomore or frosh/soph as we used to call it. Ups here what we Illinois people called JV they call varsity reserves.  So whY they are calling JV would be what we would call sophomore team. 

cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:
cabbagedad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Thanks.  Sounds ideal.  

We have the same senior rule but, typically, around here, if a senior sees he will still be relegated to a bit role for his last year and still expected to put in the full time commitment, he will most often quit and go enjoy doing something else.  So, we are dealing with underclassmen fighting to earn their way up the pecking order filling those roles and, certainly, one of the negatives is lack of game reps.  Of course there are many positives but it is always a tough situation for some.  The V team needs competent and important role players.  Role players need reps.

Sorry, back to the OP's topic...

This year we only have 3 Seniors, so the struggle is traveling with a very small Varsity (right now looking at 16 kids) and not many guys for role players or having some younger guys up with us "in case" but not getting reps. I got to figure it out by Friday. Real games start next week.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.