Skip to main content

I have been reading this post for a few years and the information is, for the most part, invaluable.  However, the differing opinions sometimes adds to the confusion for a parent that is trying to guide his son in the right direction.  I have a 6'4" 180 lb 2019 grad that hits with power, plays CIF and is generally dominant on the mound (79-82 fb with command of 3 pitches).  He plays at a high level in Travel Ball and will most likely make Varsity (4A school) as a Freshman (assuming he hits the gym all winter).  He wants to play in Showcase events and attend college camps next summer.  I think its too early because of his physical immaturity and the fact that he is just a Freshman (although he is big and strong, he has just recently stopped talking like minnie mouse i.e. voice change).  

The two questions I have are, 1) Do or do not showcase/attend college camps at this point? 2) if we do showcase should he go pitcher only? Considering his size, he is not the fastest most nimble kid in the field, but he can swing it pretty well. Any advice/commentary would be helpful and know that Dad is not a big fan of the Showcase scene but want to make sure I give him the opportunities that he is looking for, which is to hopefully play at the next level.     

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by 2019 sdnt1st:

I think its too early because of his physical immaturity and the fact that he is just a Freshman (although he is big and strong, he has just recently stopped talking like minnie mouse i.e. voice change).  

I had to comment because the Minnie Mouse reference is funny and created quite the mental image.

I was torn about this with our 2018 as well. In your favor is his size. 6'4" at 14-15 is going to garner some attention. Mine is "only" 6' so you have an edge there. We did do one college camp and a local prospect camp (both relatively inexpensive) over the winter of freshman year and summer after freshman year. My thought was that it was good practice and it helped him learn about the format and expectations of these events. I was not expecting him to garner big attention. However, we opted not to attend the recent PG showcase in our area because I didn't feel like he was ready for that level. The advice I received early on is to showcase once you have something to show. I don't think my 2018 is quite there yet. Our goal is to be in that place by next summer (between SO and JR years).

I know there are a couple 2018 parents on this site with kids in your son's size and velocity range. They opted to start showcasing this past summer (after their Freshman year) and it seems to be paying off.

Good luck!

With his size and an 82 on the mound at his age I don't think it can hurt to hit one or two.  If nothing else he'll get a "feel" for how they work and be more comfortable the when he gets further into the recruiting process.  My son went to his first showcase the summer after 8th grade.  He and a friend were the only 2 8th graders there (this was a camp at a D1).  Several D1 coaches commented that they were impressed by how the boys weren't afraid of stepping into the IF against the "big boys".  They got no real "recruiting" exposure from it (they were both 4'10 and maybe 90 lbs at the time) but both boys will tell you that it was probably their favorite showcase they ever attended.

Now for the big question......RHP......or........LHP??? 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

I get that he wants to do the showcase/camp circuit.  My son was also a high performer and wanted to do the same.  That's an ego thing.

My question for you is what is your plan?  Are you looking to get an offer and commit in the immediate future?  If so, why?

If your son has talent and size (which you describe here that he has both), he will continue to progress and opportunities are in his future.  Unless he knows where he wants to go to school and is targeting that school with this, then it's likely a waste of money at this time.  If there is some urgent need for him to make a verbal commitment at this time, then you need to take those steps, but if you've been reading here, you already know that he has plenty of time for that.

It sounds like your situation is somewhat similar to mine in that your kid wants to take this path because he sees all the publicity, etc., that peers are getting.  None of that is important at this stage of your sons career.  We watched many, many of my sons peers commit well ahead of him, not because they were better, but because I was holding him back to protect him from making a mistake.  Had we not done this, he would have committed to a school other than the one he ultimately committed and would have missed out on a much better situation for him.

I do think that there's value in doing a small, local showcase and even a good camp prior to biting off any of the big, national PG showcases.  It will help your son understand the environment and process on a smaller scale and he'll likely perform better on the bigger stage.  But my opinion is that even that isn't necessary yet.

Do you best to temper you sons ego side of it.  This is a very common issue, particularly in the social media world in which they live.  Definitely don't start throwing money down drains to satisfy that portion of the equation.

Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll hear others that differ.  Find what works best for you and your sons situation/

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

With his size and an 82 on the mound at his age I don't think it can hurt to hit one or two.  If nothing else he'll get a "feel" for how they work and be more comfortable the when he gets further into the recruiting process.  My son went to his first showcase the summer after 8th grade.  He and a friend were the only 2 8th graders there (this was a camp at a D1).  Several D1 coaches commented that they were impressed by how the boys weren't afraid of stepping into the IF against the "big boys".  They got no real "recruiting" exposure from it (they were both 4'10 and maybe 90 lbs at the time) but both boys will tell you that it was probably their favorite showcase they ever attended.

Now for the big question......RHP......or........LHP??? 

Unfortunately RHP.  If he wrote upside down (i.e. LHP) we would probably head to a showcase a little sooner...

Originally Posted by Nuke83:

I get that he wants to do the showcase/camp circuit.  My son was also a high performer and wanted to do the same.  That's an ego thing.

My question for you is what is your plan?  Are you looking to get an offer and commit in the immediate future?  If so, why?

If your son has talent and size (which you describe here that he has both), he will continue to progress and opportunities are in his future.  Unless he knows where he wants to go to school and is targeting that school with this, then it's likely a waste of money at this time.  If there is some urgent need for him to make a verbal commitment at this time, then you need to take those steps, but if you've been reading here, you already know that he has plenty of time for that.

It sounds like your situation is somewhat similar to mine in that your kid wants to take this path because he sees all the publicity, etc., that peers are getting.  None of that is important at this stage of your sons career.  We watched many, many of my sons peers commit well ahead of him, not because they were better, but because I was holding him back to protect him from making a mistake.  Had we not done this, he would have committed to a school other than the one he ultimately committed and would have missed out on a much better situation for him.

I do think that there's value in doing a small, local showcase and even a good camp prior to biting off any of the big, national PG showcases.  It will help your son understand the environment and process on a smaller scale and he'll likely perform better on the bigger stage.  But my opinion is that even that isn't necessary yet.

Do you best to temper you sons ego side of it.  This is a very common issue, particularly in the social media world in which they live.  Definitely don't start throwing money down drains to satisfy that portion of the equation.

Just my opinion, I'm sure you'll hear others that differ.  Find what works best for you and your sons situation/

Just a quick reply to your 2 questions.  1)  I don't have a plan other than to put 2019 in a situation for him to be successful.  MY ball playing days are over.  The plan is HIS and I am just trying to provided guidance and support.  If he wants to play ball at the next level, I will support him as best I can and providing some parental guidance is the cheapest form of support before I have to go to the wallet for the monetary side of "support"  2)  As far as a commitment/offer, I want only to make sure that he gets a good education.  If that education includes and opportunity to play ball, GREAT!

I do agree with you that Social media drives expectations for these kids, but unfortunately these are the times we live in.   

Cost?  Is it at a school that he would love to attend and is also a good academic fit?

personally I would spend money on good P coach, if that's what he wants to do in college? Don't think he needs to spend money to see how he compares w older kids, just go watch a summer team that's very good. He still has time to be seen, and have a good showing.

u said u don't have a plan, get one. If you don't you' lol end up spending money u didn't need to and wasting time. 

if he goes keep posted on how he goes. Good luck

Last edited by playball2011

Just for some perspective, here are some kids from the top prospect list that came out of the PG NW showcase last weekend.

One 2019 LHP (granted he's a lefty), topped out at 77 mph, but he's 6'2" and 160 pounds.

One 2018 RHP was in the 86-88 mph range and was listed as the top prospect for Sophomores. He's reported as 6'1" and 185. The second RHP topped out at 81, but college coaches reported he threw 85 over the summer. He's listed as 5'11" and 155.

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:

Agree 100% with Nuke83. Will your son be pitching in a PG tournament next summer or sooner? An 82 mph FB would put him somewhere around the 95th percentile for 2019 pitchers right now on PG. That would also put him on the radar of many top schools.

I guess that's what I am trying to figure out for next summer.  Definitely not going to any PG stuff this year, but trying to figure out if its worth it next year.  

I have been reading this post for a few years and the information is, for the most part, invaluable.  However, the differing opinions sometimes adds to the confusion for a parent that is trying to guide his son in the right direction.  I have a 6'4" 180 lb 2019 grad that hits with power, plays CIF and is generally dominant on the mound (79-82 fb with command of 3 pitches).  He plays at a high level in Travel Ball and will most likely make Varsity (4A school) as a Freshman (assuming he hits the gym all winter).  He wants to play in Showcase events and attend college camps next summer.  I think its too early because of his physical immaturity and the fact that he is just a Freshman (although he is big and strong, he has just recently stopped talking like minnie mouse i.e. voice change).  

The two questions I have are, 1) Do or do not showcase/attend college camps at this point? 2) if we do showcase should he go pitcher only? Considering his size, he is not the fastest most nimble kid in the field, but he can swing it pretty well. Any advice/commentary would be helpful and know that Dad is not a big fan of the Showcase scene but want to make sure I give him the opportunities that he is looking for, which is to hopefully play at the next level.     

JMO but if he is what you say there is not much a reason to showcase him now. I would say you should discuss with his travel coach, who you said is a high level organization, if that is the case they will give you some honest feedback. They will also have plenty of connections when the time is right.

My personal reason for this is because it sounds to me like you aren't interested in becoming part of the circus that is recruiting before it is needed. What you will find is schools reach out to the coach of his travel team, they will want your 14 or 15 yr old to call them back. if he is truly in the top 5% as somebody mentioned it will happen...if he is top 5% they are going to find him in the following 12 months when you do want to start putting yourself out there.

Bottom line again just my opinion keep him working hard, have fun with it and unless you feel he is ready to honestly have feeling about what he might want to major in 4 yrs from now, what type of environment he will prefer, size school that he prefers (assuming that these things don't change 7 more times between now and when he actually graduates from HS) if he wants to go far or stay close to home and oh yea don't forget...these guys don't want to talk to you. They want to talk to the player (remember this is your freshman we are discussing) because that who is actually attending the college.

If you think the above it true and you don't mind your Minnie mouse son dealing with professionals directly, who lets face it have job to recruit so even if they are good people they may or may not have the same interest at heart, have at it! I think it is a big job for a kid. it will be much easier for him 12 months from now but still a big job. 

Originally Posted by MidAtlanticDad:

Agree 100% with Nuke83. Will your son be pitching in a PG tournament next summer or sooner? An 82 mph FB would put him somewhere around the 95th percentile for 2019 pitchers right now on PG. That would also put him on the radar of many top schools.

I guess that's what I am trying to figure out for next summer.  Definitely not going to any PG stuff this year, but trying to figure out if its worth it next year.  

I'm making the distinction between PG tournaments and showcases. If his travel team is already scheduled to play a PG tournament, then he will get a PG profile and his velocity will be published. (Note: I don't think PG records velocities at PG Super25 tournaments.)

Attending a PG showcase is not cheap. Of course attending a PG tournament can also get expensive if you have to travel, but it depends on the circumstances. For example, could he be a guest pitcher for one day at a WWBA tournament in GA?

As you've already gleaned, there are differing opinions on this topic. I fall in Nuke's camp. With your son's size and velocity, he will definitely have options regardless of the path he takes.

You don't have to make a decision now.  What I would do is see how the spring goes.  Does he make Varsity?  Is he able to compete at that level?  If yes, then sure start to look at a showcase or two.  If you see he is not quite ready, then wait.  You're lucky in that you have time. 

Let's distinguish between exposure-oriented events that will enhance his competitive level and recruiting objectives, on the one hand, and true showcases/camps, that test tools and get him evaluated by whoever's running those shows, on the other.

He should be doing the former.  He has no need for the latter, and I would suggest you save your money.

I would suggest that you're describing a player who could qualify for PG's Junior National Showcase in June 2017.  If he can get into that, he may never have to do another showcase.  (That justifies the travel expense you'll incur.)  This event plus playing high level travel/exposure/recruiting events will be all he needs.

If he can't get into that showcase, then at that point you can survey whether showcasing would become a helpful component of his plan or not.  Meaning, it can wait.

Also, I don't recommend college camps unless you have your heart set on a school, or the school is close to the decision point and needs to see you up close and personal.

As to the 2-way vs. PO thing, that depends on his talent level.  Very few guys excel so much in both realms that they can get recruited in both roles.  But at the very least, it may be too early for you to know which is the correct fork to take.  If you're in a solid travel program, keep an open mind and let his coaches guide that decision. 

Hopefully you do trust them, and if you do, you should listen to them.  If you don't, maybe you're in the wrong program.

Originally Posted by Golfman25:

You don't have to make a decision now.  What I would do is see how the spring goes.  Does he make Varsity?  Is he able to compete at that level?  If yes, then sure start to look at a showcase or two.  If you see he is not quite ready, then wait.  You're lucky in that you have time. 

^^^^^^ This.

Look, what he is now is bound to drastically change in the next eight months. If he is hitting 82 now, he's liable to be mid-80's by summer. If you're doing PG, it won't take more than ONE showcase to get him seriously on the radar if he's a 6' 4" incoming Soph hitting 86 on the gun. One or two well-chosen college camps would be a good idea at that time, as well. As mentioned above, just have an idea of how you plan to handle recruiting if he starts getting interest. Go to schools you are generally interested in. Trust me, when the attention starts coming, it starts coming fast and furious. If you raise some eyebrows over the summer, next fall will be a lot of fun. Good luck.

Regarding PG Showcases, I want to be honest.

If your son is one of the best (Nationally) at his age I would love to have him attend. He and you will be very happy you did.  We will be very happy he did.  After all, our goal is to find and identify the best players, no matter what age. We really like to compile a history on players.

But in the interest of honesty, it isn't necessary to do anything for awhile.  If he is that good he is going to do well.  Chances are we will find him before he finds us.  Word travels fast!  At this point, you can do whatever you want without worrying about anything. But you might be better off by saving your money because things can get more expensive in the next few years.

So my suggestion FWIW... If he is truly that rare national level talent, attending events and being recognized early could actually open some doors and create opportunities that could actually end up saving you a lot of  money in the future.  If he is just another of the many talented kids out there, you might be better off just waiting for the right time and place.

Originally Posted by redbird5:

Originally Posted by RJM:

As a 6'4" freshman throwing in the 80s it couldn't hurt to do one prominent showcase that's reasonably close to home. If nothing else he gets acquainted the process.

I agree with this.  Why wait for a National type showcase to be your first showcase?

This is what we chose to do. A cheaper, regional event to get comfortable with the process. It was the first time my 2018 had ever run a timed 60 yd dash or had someone watching and gunning him on throws from right to 3rd/home. It was a good learning opportunity. He ran pretty slow in the 60 yd dash. Slower than he anticipated, but it gave him solid feedback and something to work on.
Originally Posted by kandkfunk:
Originally Posted by redbird5:

Originally Posted by RJM:

As a 6'4" freshman throwing in the 80s it couldn't hurt to do one prominent showcase that's reasonably close to home. If nothing else he gets acquainted the process.

I agree with this.  Why wait for a National type showcase to be your first showcase?

This is what we chose to do. A cheaper, regional event to get comfortable with the process. It was the first time my 2018 had ever run a timed 60 yd dash or had someone watching and gunning him on throws from right to 3rd/home. It was a good learning opportunity. He ran pretty slow in the 60 yd dash. Slower than he anticipated, but it gave him solid feedback and something to work on.

if he is a pitcher the 60 time is worth about the same as a 5k run time...

Originally Posted by Go44dad:

2019 sdnt1st....can you let us know what you decide, what showcase and feedback? Most of all your opinion of your decision in retrospect.  Lots of good feedback, in the end it's your families decision.  It helps the other 2019's and younger that may have the same decision to make.  Thanks for sharing.

I will definitely circle back once we decide what to do.  I guess I need to talk more with him and throw out some of the options/ideas I have gotten from here and make a decision.  

By any chance has your 2019 thought about what he wants to major in, what type of school atmosphere he would feel comfortable in (urban/rural), how far from home he would like to be (some kids are fine 9 states away, some kids want to stay closer)? With all the baseball talk maybe you should also ask him to start considering these basic questions. 

I took my 2020 through Manhattan on the way back from Cooperstown to show him the sites that I grew up seeing and he was pretty clear that he NEVER wanted to live/work or be in a major inner city again in his life...he rides 4-wheelers and shoots guns with his grandpa on the weekends, I can see why urban life wouldn't suit him.  Perhaps your son has strong feelings on the matter too, it's worth asking, and could help narrow down the baseball talk.

My son's team has a 2018 6'5 180lb LHP whoopted out of attending PG and PBR Showcases this fall. The team and program coach's encouraged him to focus on getting stronger, improving his mechanics, and developing confidence with a new arsenal of pitches he'll need. This kid only thru a 4seamer (81-82 mph) during the summer.  He unfortunately got annihilated a number of times because the pitches got flat and the hitters could see it coming a mile a way. 

With six weeks of fall ball completed he has added 6 lbs to his frame and developed confidence with his CH. His FF now sits at 83-84.  All the pitchers in our program will shut down Nov - Jan (soft tissue healing time).  I won't be surprised if this kid is weighing in at 195-200 and throwing 88-90 by June.  Also, he will be healthy along with improved mechanics.

This kid has been able to stay focused and avoid the hoopla of PG & PBR Showcase metrics and ratings that manifests among all the players these days.  Next summer he will be a lot more mature and capable of handling conversations with college coach's or scouts.  

The plan is to attend a May-June PG showcase.  If he performs well, he'll qualify for a PG National showcase late June.

Long way of saying:  Showcases will be there, get stronger, improve mechanics, stay healthy, develop confidence with 3 pitches and stay focused in the classroom. College coach's love good students.  Plenty of time - enjoy the ride.  

Apologies for the length...Good Luck!  Stay tuned on this kid...likely a HS draft pick. The mentors are in place.

(Not one mention of my 2018 SS on the same team..wow)

Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

By any chance has your 2019 thought about what he wants to major in, what type of school atmosphere he would feel comfortable in (urban/rural), how far from home he would like to be (some kids are fine 9 states away, some kids want to stay closer)? With all the baseball talk maybe you should also ask him to start considering these basic questions. 

You might also figure out what he wants for lunch today. 

IMO it's easy to spend and possibly waste a lot of money chasing the opportunity to play at next level. In 4 yrs it can add up, unless u have son who gets verbal as a Soph, and later commits to that college. For most, that doesn't happen. 

My only advice is to make a plan/set a budget. Travel ball is expensive, camps/showcases is an added expense.  Way the pro/cons Of each experience and what the payoff will be.

ive seen people really get caught up in traveling to showcases/camps almost every weekend in Fall/Christmas Break looking for something to happen. 

Originally Posted by playball2011:

IMO it's easy to spend and possibly waste a lot of money chasing the opportunity to play at next level. In 4 yrs it can add up, unless u have son who gets verbal as a Soph, and later commits to that college. For most, that doesn't happen. 

My only advice is to make a plan/set a budget. Travel ball is expensive, camps/showcases is an added expense.  Way the pro/cons Of each experience and what the payoff will be.

ive seen people really get caught up in traveling to showcases/camps almost every weekend in Fall/Christmas Break looking for something to happen. 

Here is my two cents on that...  if you get involved with the year round (not playing year round) travel teams, as we are, hopefully you do it because your kid loves it, as mine does.  While it is with his goal to play college in mind we know full well we will pay just as much through the years as it would cost to just pay tuition at a moderately priced school.  It better not be a financial decision - if we pay this now he will get a scholarship someday - while he may you will probably never recoup what you spent on travel ball through the years.  Do it for your son because of the incredible fun he has in the here and now.  Its ok to look at development but I think its a mistake to think you are going to profit from it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.