Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

5'11, 200 as a sophomore and a 93mph exit velo is enough to get noticed based on numbers alone....but the real question is can you hit a ball that's coming from a pitcher....lol?   75 from the OF isn't enough to get real serious consideration as an OF yet....but keep working on it. a 10 yd time isn't a real good measurement of speed for an OF.  Once you have a good idea on your current 60 time, people here will be able to give you a little more insight.  Even with that, it's tough to say if you should attend a showcase based on numbers alone.   When people watch you compared to others your age do they say "wow, that kid is good?"   

Have you attended any "local" showcases?  PBR, etc?  Those are typically easier to get to and a lot less $$$.  Maybe catch a local one as soon as you can and see how your numbers compare to others that attended.  If your numbers are average compared to the guys there, then maybe it's not time for a PG showcase yet.   If you're in the top 3-5 in all categories...yep, maybe you're ready.   Good luck!

Sorry, this story is not adding up. 93 EV with wood is certainly possible, but it would put you in the top 1% of all 2020 players. A 1.58 10 Yd Split puts you in line for a 60 in about 6.5, which would be incredible & also put you in the top 1%. Then a 75 OF Velo puts you at the bottom of the list, so I'm not buying.

Sounds like you may be a young Bo Jackson who is throwing with the wrong hand.....

The best way to see how you stack up to to attend a showcase. PBR is more local and cheaper but I think you currently have numbers that show something.  You will find that a 93 exit velo at a PG showcase will get attention.  In fact, most of the time the difference between two players with somewhat equal throwing/fielding stats where one player gets an 8 or less grade and one gets the higher grade is simply their exit velocity (and how they looked during their BP session).  Sometimes they get a good BP write-up simply because the scouts see an excellent velo number.

A 1.58 10 Yd split is very good but it doesn't mean a great 60.  It just means you have a quick start.  You still have to finish.  You will see good 60 times with terrible splits; that just means that 60 can improve a lot just with a good start! But you will also see good splits with so-so 60 times. Your numbers are more than believable.  OF velocity needs to get much better (if that's your primary) although there are committed 2020's with OF velo's under 80.  Check them out (on PG) and you will see that their 60's and exit velo's are very good.

Lots of people on here say wait; wait too long and you get on someone's radar a bit late.  A 93 wood bat exit velo IS something to show now.

Even if your PG grade is not what you want you will at least know what to work on.

I also find that there is a direct correlation between player size and exit velo. Of course not the case in every example.  But you will find many exit velo's > 90 mph are from larger players.  A lot of players that weigh 210+ get into the 90's with ease. I'm more impressed with a 90+ exit velo from someone who weighs less than 185.  To me that's one indication of a good swing with power.

But also know that there a plenty of kids who can't hit off a tee if their lives depended on it!  Some kids have great swings but you will not know it from their exit velo because of poor tee mechanics.

TheJR30 posted:
Steve A. posted:

Sorry, this story is not adding up. 93 EV with wood is certainly possible, but it would put you in the top 1% of all 2020 players. A 1.58 10 Yd Split puts you in line for a 60 in about 6.5, which would be incredible & also put you in the top 1%. Then a 75 OF Velo puts you at the bottom of the list, so I'm not buying.

Sounds like you may be a young Bo Jackson who is throwing with the wrong hand.....

Thats what I keep telling myself lol. I think it has something to do with my mechanics... I know how to throw with average mechanics but never did proper arm strengthening growing up. My bat has always been my standout talent along with my quickness.

Is your 93 EV off of a tee? That's how showcases measure it.

Steve A. posted:

I am 50/50 on this.  Especially with such great numbers in two categories to see the third so ordinary is weird.  But if we take him at his word its actually 80mph not 75.  That makes a big difference.  I was just joking the other day with a friend that I am occasionally tempted to showcase my son just so his EV could be in lights.  He would no doubt be at or near the head of his class in our state.  But the other numbers...  not good.  So he will likely never showcase.  But it is possible at least to be great in one area and average in another.

2020dad posted:
Steve A. posted:

I am 50/50 on this.  Especially with such great numbers in two categories to see the third so ordinary is weird.  But if we take him at his word its actually 80mph not 75.  That makes a big difference.  I was just joking the other day with a friend that I am occasionally tempted to showcase my son just so his EV could be in lights.  He would no doubt be at or near the head of his class in our state.  But the other numbers...  not good.  So he will likely never showcase.  But it is possible at least to be great in one area and average in another.

I don't know that I find it that odd.  My son is in the 90+ % of IF velo, FB Velo, Exit velo (and all the sub categories) and is around the 40-48% on his 60 and  16% split...below average.  He's not an overweight kid at all, just slow. We have benefited from showcasing the things he is good at.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 9.34.37 PM
Last edited by baseballhs

"how would I stack up against others in my class as far as rating" - You are currently a non-showcaser. Until you go to a Showcase and post your numbers, you are still a non-showcaser. You got to get out there and show what you can do, posting #'s on the internet is a non-starter. Get out there and compete, show us what you got. You will instantly see how you stack up with others.

TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

Can you play baseball? All the metrics in the world are wonderful, but if you don't know how to play the game they are useless and basically a carnival trick.

na bro i cant play no baseball and i suck... was that the answer you were looking for lol

Please don't post your real name or any relevant info on here.  The guys on this board, even those I disagree with some times, are here to help.  You just barked when you should have been answering.  You are too young to get on a baseball board and be a jerk.  He was asking if you can play the game which means give us some stats on your high school team, showcase team.  Where do you play?  All the numbers that you have given can apply to a bench warmer if he can't hit a real pitch or field a ball.  Take it down a notch and learn some respect for the game and the people who you asked for advice. 

Sorry to be the voice of reason but you came here and asked.  GaryMe does not always use the best tactics but his point is real.  Can you play baseball?

I'm sorry but I have to speak up and defend the OP. He asked for some advice--are his METRICS decent enough to show something at a showcase?  Since he first posted he has received at least a few responses questioning his both his reported metrics and whether he can even play baseball.

Give him a break and assume he can play! Why else would he ask for advice? Clearly he believes he can play the game so asking him whether he can play is simply insulting.

As far as questioning metrics--he weighs 200 lbs.  That's adult weight so I sure hope he can hit 93 off a tee with wood.  If he can't he needs to be on a strength program because sheer weight alone gives him an exit velocity advantage over most 15/16 year olds. Just look at any PG results and you will find most kids that hit 90 or above weigh much more than the average player which is why I'm not all that impressed with 90+ off a tee when you are already adult-sized. I'm only impressed with players that weigh much less and generate the same velocity as those who weigh 200+.

Yes, 75 OF velocity is low but there currently are some 2020 D1 commits who throw under 80.  Not sure what the plans are for OF's with no arm but, hey, they are committed so someone must see something in them! So I believe OF throwing velocity is one area that needs a lot of improvement but a 93 exit velocity is something worth showing, especially if you can back it up and hit well at the showcase (both BP and games). Scouts do like adult-sized prospects.

As far as 10 yard time--very good but there are lots of players who are quick off the block but don't finish as fast. And lots of players that are slow at 10 yards and finish sub 7.  I'd say that a good 60 time is important for an outfield (actually, everyone). If not under 7 then work on it! But I will also say there currently are MANY 2020 committed  OF's who are not sub 7 60 runners.  Go figure.

PG has a lot of data out there freely available to all; I would suggest that the OP (and those that question his metrics) take a deep dive and study it themselves.

TheJR30 posted:
PitchingFan posted:
TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

Can you play baseball? All the metrics in the world are wonderful, but if you don't know how to play the game they are useless and basically a carnival trick.

na bro i cant play no baseball and i suck... was that the answer you were looking for lol

Please don't post your real name or any relevant info on here.  The guys on this board, even those I disagree with some times, are here to help.  You just barked when you should have been answering.  You are too young to get on a baseball board and be a jerk.  He was asking if you can play the game which means give us some stats on your high school team, showcase team.  Where do you play?  All the numbers that you have given can apply to a bench warmer if he can't hit a real pitch or field a ball.  Take it down a notch and learn some respect for the game and the people who you asked for advice. 

Sorry to be the voice of reason but you came here and asked.  GaryMe does not always use the best tactics but his point is real.  Can you play baseball?

Thanks for the advice mom ... the thread died seven months ago so i go the info i needed. Didnt need someone criticizing my skills. Nonetheless I played JV baseball and batted a fair .165 out of 60 at bats. Anything else I should be aware of??

Sweet, bro. Go hit every showcase you can. Is that what you want to hear?

You are either being a smart ass with your response to PitchingFan or your stats are telling me you should not showcase. If your goal is to go to showcase a staggering exit velo, go hit every darn showcase you can. If your goal is to get recruited to play baseball, I would recommend based on your stats and the level of play you reported to have experience (JV baseball and hitting .165 with 60 ABs) that it would be a better investment of your time to work on your swing, because as I stated, if you can't play the game, that exit velo is a novelty, at best.

Good luck to you, son

Last edited by GaryMe
GaryMe posted:
TheJR30 posted:
PitchingFan posted:
TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

Thanks for the advice mom ... the thread died seven months ago so i go the info i needed. Didnt need someone criticizing my skills. Nonetheless I played JV baseball and batted a fair .165 out of 60 at bats. Anything else I should be aware of??

You are either being a smart ass with your response to PitchingFan or your stats are telling me you should not showcase. If your goal is to go to showcase a staggering exit velo, go hit every darn showcase you can. If your goal is to get recruited to play baseball, I would recommend based on your stats and the level of play you reported to have experience (JV baseball and hitting .165 with 60 ABs) that it would be a better investment of your time to work on your swing, because as I stated, if you can't play the game, that exit velo is a novelty, at best.

Good luck to you, son

Yes, .165 is concerning but as many have noted HS stats mean little and nobody up the food chain pays attention to them.

Here's a interesting anecdotal example that will always give me a kick:  In 2016, my son, then a HS Junior, batted .453.  One of his teammates, a very talented Senior, batted .326.   My son is currently a sophomore player at a HA D3 school.

His teammate, now a P5 Junior, is projected to be drafted in the first round of the 2019 MLB draft.

TheJR30 posted:
PitchingFan posted:
TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

College coaches are going to love your attitude.

But seriously 93 is really good, that means you can hit homers with wood. If you can mash and hit there is a place for you even if you are physically maxed out and a DH (not saying you are)

JCG posted:
GaryMe posted:
TheJR30 posted:
PitchingFan posted:
TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

Good luck to you, son

Yes, .165 is concerning but as many have noted HS stats mean little and nobody up the food chain pays attention to them.

Here's a interesting anecdotal example that will always give me a kick:  In 2016, my son, then a HS Junior, batted .453.  One of his teammates, a very talented Senior, batted .326.   My son is currently a sophomore player at a HA D3 school.

His teammate, now a P5 Junior, is projected to be drafted in the first round of the 2019 MLB draft.

My experience is that very talented guys get fewer hittable pitches...perspective is everything.

JCG posted:
GaryMe posted:
TheJR30 posted:
PitchingFan posted:
TheJR30 posted:
GaryMe posted:

Good luck to you, son

I figure a .453 hitter can hit. But I would want to know the level of competition. I would figure a .326 hitter either can hit or he got lucky with some duck snorts. When I see .165 I question if a player can hit. If a kid can hit and batted .165 on JV he hit in a whole lot of bad luck (not likely).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.