Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Flower Mound Jags go 3-0 for the season with 2 more wins today against Beaumont Westbrook and St. Pius of Houston. A win tomorrow will put them in the finals against either El Paso Socorro or Houston Christian. Scores posted below.

FM vs. Beaumont WSTB Friday, February 27, 2009
Final
WSTB 5 5 2
FMHS 12 12 1
W: S. Henderson, L: M. Gibson

FM vs. St.Pius, Friday, February 27, 2009
FMHS 20 16 0
PIUS 3 3 2
W: Z. Adams, L: T. Piewtz
quote:
Originally posted by cheapseats:
Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of schools are not reporting scores to the DMN very quicky?

I know .... these tournament games don't mean a lot .... yada yada yada.....but it is baseball season! We need more info!

CheapSeats,

I agree with you 100%, even though these games are virtually meaningless; the box scores are NOT! We need a lot MORE SCORES POSTED to DMN in a much more timely fashion! OK, I feel better now! Hey I was up late last night waiting on scores and woke up early realizing I am going to freeze my a$$ off watching a doubleheader today and trying to figure out the best way to stay warm. Oh thank godness baseball season is here!
The information has to be reported by the coaches to the DMN in a timely mannter for it to be reported.

The coaches are extremely busy during a tournament and probably don't have time to get the information in to the paper in time to get it reported.

when the regular season starts, the reporting will improve.

Always was source of frustration to me, too, but it helps some to understand how things work.

The DMN only has a two or three people assigned to cover how school sports, so there is no way they could ever gather and input all that data everyday.

And, they are still focused on the basketball playoff schedule.

Which makes this website a nice source of information.............

Sometimes.
Last edited by FormerObserver
FO - Thanks for the insight...I thought coaches had a volunteer call it in. I didn't realize coaches (yes, they are very busy) were making the calls.

I have text messages automaticly sent to my cell phone from the DMN to report scores for certain schools....I know in the case of some of our games this week I got the text before I made it to the parking lot so I know it is quick on the DMN end of things...I am pretty sure the delay is on the reporting side.

Your right, these scores are meaningless but it is still fun to follow. Smile
Last edited by cheapseats
Coppell 5
Grapevine 4

I am sure someone else will post more of the box / line score details later. Coppell wins the Baylor Tournament to get the season started in good fashion. Kettler gets the win put the game ball should go to Hunter Boyle, the soph pitched great through 6 2/3 innings. This team isn't just about the seniors, Wil Abbott, a junior, shut-out Poteet earlier today, a freshman (Aikins)came up tonight and got a lead off walk in the bottom of the 7th and came around to score the tying run, Feemster a junior, had a key play to throw out a Grapevine player trying to stretch a single into a double.

Best play of the day was a line drive to right field that David Walsh charged to catch, he caught it diving and the ball popped up out of his glove and then he caught it again then he got up and throw back to first to get an inning ending double play.

It was a nice tournament all around and the two come from behind wins make it that much more special and sets a tone for this year.

Grapevine is a good team and they will beat a lot of teams this year but not the Cowboys tonight.

Congratulations Cowboys.
Last edited by ACowboyFan
Hebron wins the Rawlings/Athletic Warehouse Lake Cities Classic, beating Lewisville in the morning and Marcus early Saturday night in the championship game.

The three District 6-5A teams in the tournament finished 1-2-3

For Hebron, junior righthander Brandon Harris earned the win in both games Saturday pitching in relief.

By the way, as many of you may already know, Funnel's team is legit. There's some talent on that team.

SEMIFINAL:

Hebron 12-11-2
Lewisville 7-9-4

WP: Brandon Harris
LP: Mike Swan
SV: Reid Davis

2B:
Hebron - Michael Putman

3B:
Hebron - Ryan Payne
Lewisville - Dustin Covarrubias

HR:
Hebron - Erin McCarver-2, Ryan Payne, Taylor Payne
Lewisville - Dustin Covarrubias, Colby Rogers

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME:

Hebron 7-9-1
Marcus 6-7-4

WP: Brandon Harris
LP: Jameson Holt

2B:
Hebron - Ryan Payne
Marcus - Brode Boyd

3B:
Marcus - Tate Baker

HR:
Hebron - Michael Putman
Last edited by Hawkman
quote:
Originally posted by ACowboyFan:
Coppell 5
Grapevine 4

I am sure someone else will post more of the box / line score details later. Coppell wins the Baylor Tournament to get the season started in good fashion. Kettler gets the win put the game ball should go to Hunter Boyle, the soph pitched great through 6 2/3 innings. This team isn't just about the seniors, Wil Abbott, a junior, shut-out Poteet earlier today, a freshman (Aikins)came up tonight and got a lead off walk in the bottom of the 7th and came around to score the tying run, Feemster a junior, had a key play to throw out a Grapevine player trying to stretch a single into a double.

Best play of the day was a line drive to right field that David Walsh charged to catch, he caught it diving and the ball popped up out of his glove and then he caught it again then he got up and throw back to first to get an inning ending double play.

It was a nice tournament all around and the two come from behind wins make it that much more special and sets a tone for this year.

Grapevine is a good team and they will beat a lot of teams this year but not the Cowboys tonight.

Congratulations Cowboys.

Cowboy Fan,
Were we both watching the same freezing cold game?
While neither team pitched their DI signee aces, Coppell had to bring in their ace Kettler to save their bacon in the 7th.
A much SMALLER Grapevine team hit as well, fielded as well, and played the Highly touted Cowboys even THROUGHOUT. It was too bad our normal closer had been battling the flu for two days and just didn't have it, but overall, it WAS your Seniors who pulled you through.
GHS made a statement.
Grapevine is a good team? I guess that Coppell is also just a good team.
quote:
Originally posted by bball71tx:
quote:
Coppell 5
Grapevine 4

Congratulations Cowboys.

Cowboy Fan,
While neither team pitched their DI signee aces, Coppell had to bring in their ace Kettler to save their bacon in the 7th.
A much SMALLER Grapevine team hit as well, fielded as well, and played the Highly touted Cowboys even THROUGHOUT. It was too bad our normal closer had been battling the flu for two days and just didn't have it, but overall, it WAS your Seniors who pulled you through.
GHS made a statement.

quote:
Cowboy Fan,
GHS made a statement.

Yes, it was the same freezing game, probably the coldest one I ever watched.

I agree with you that Coppell is a good team but they continue to grow towards being a very good team and they have a chance maybe to be a great team by the end of the season.

As for Grapevine,they used three senior pitchers, smaller or not. Coppell still has several pitchers and position players that are working their way back into the line-up or are still out with an injury. So measuring yourselves against this current good team and losing should give you cause to pause, not make a statement.

You should think more of your team and not less of Coppell. I remember several of your players being rather large as well with equally good skills. Most people I talk to that have sons playing in your district rate Grapevine as the team to beat and that is the way Coppell approached playing them last night. But please don't make excuses about losing, Grapevine is better than that.
quote:
quote:
Cowboy Fan,
GHS made a statement.

I agree with you that Coppell is a good team but they continue to grow towards being a very good team and they have a chance maybe to be a great team by the end of the season.

As for Grapevine,they used three senior pitchers, smaller or not. Coppell still has several pitchers and position players that are working their way back into the line-up or are still out with an injury. So measuring yourselves against this current good team and losing should give you cause to pause, not make a statement.

You should think more of your team and not less of Coppell. I remember several of your players being rather large as well with equally good skills. Most people I talk to that have sons playing in your district rate Grapevine as the team to beat and that is the way Coppell approached playing them last night. But please don't make excuses about losing, Grapevine is better than that.

Cowboy Fan,
I don't believe that you interpreted my comment correctly.
I am not making excuses about our loss, we had a great tournament, now 5 and 1, and WE also are continuing to grow as a team and hopefully we will improve also.
I am very proud of our guys and we played four juniors and a sophomore and pitched our #6 and #7 guys. We were out of pitching also.
What I was trying to point out, was we played Coppell EVEN, your initial statement does not reflect that.
Congrats to both teams and good luck on your season.
quote:
Originally posted by bball71tx:
quote:
quote:
Cowboy Fan,
GHS made a statement.

Cowboy Fan,
I don't believe that you interpreted my comment correctly.
I am not making excuses about our loss, we had a great tournament, now 5 and 1, and WE also are continuing to grow as a team and hopefully we will improve also.
I am very proud of our guys and we played four juniors and a sophomore and pitched our #6 and #7 guys. We were out of pitching also.
What I was trying to point out, was we played Coppell EVEN, your initial statement does not reflect that.
Congrats to both teams and good luck on your season.

bball71tx,
Grapevine played a great game and could have easily won, and perhaps should have. Yes, you can and should be proud. I thought it was great baseball and especially exciting that the host team made it into the championship. Even though it was cold, the players' emotions on both sides were passionate. It's all good!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.