Skip to main content

Okay, I apologize for it being softball and not baseball but since I could see this happening in baseball as well I thought I would share:

http://bleacherreport.com/arti...m_campaign=editorial

To sum it up, the pitcher had a near perfect game going and the California Tie Breaker Rule, and when her team couldn't respond, was her downfall.

Thoughts?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That is something.  Picture this conversation:

Interviewer - What is the best game you ever pitched?

R. Garcia - Well I threw a perfect game in HS once.

Interviewer - Wow that must have been amazing.  How excited were you about that?

R. Garcia - I was bummed....we lost.

Interviewer - You're pulling my leg, is that possible?

R. Garcia - Yep ...I'm living proof.

The ultimate oxymoron in baseball and softball.  Losing a perfect game.  The only thing that would have been more amazing was if she struck out all 24.  Still a great performance.

When my daughter was in high school their pitcher was dominant. One game the second baseman misplayed a ball in the 7th inning that was called the first hit. After the game the second baseman apologized to the pitcher. The pitcher responded ... "Forget about it. It's not like I was pitching a perfect game. Between travel and high school I already have over 50 no hitters. Don't worry, it will happen again."

Yes, the girl went D1. My daughter may be one of the few high school athletes whose high school team was better than her travel team. The pitcher was a dominant studdess. She was no lower than the second best pitcher in the state. Five  players went D1. The whole lineup played college ball.

One year in fall ball our ace pitcher (who would eventually be drafted and signed with the Rays out of HS) pitched a no hitter and we lost 1-0.  In the 1st inning he walked a batter who eventually  made it to 3rd on wild pitches and passed balls.   Another passed ball and he scored. Though we had 8 hits on the day the team could never get the timely hit to drive in any runs.

Originally Posted by luv baseball:

This actually reminded me of one of the least remembered AND amazing achievements in MLB history:

Harvey Haddix of the 1959 Pittsburg Pirates - Perfect through 12 against a great Braves team and lost in the 13th.  It is one of the greatest pitching performances of all time

This and Marichal and Spahn tossing 15 inning complete games against each other.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.