Skip to main content

3and2Fastball posted:
Gov posted:

3&2, I would imagine for transfer kids it's more about how they played in college prior to the attempted transfer.  Actual stats from college.

Thanks for your reply.

What about the kids that don't play as freshman or barely play as freshman? (which can be a big reason for transferring down). 

Asking sincerely as I don't know, but I imagine that a 2017 with a documented PG score of "9" and a 6.9 sixty from the summer of 2016 might have more doors open than the 2017 with a PG score of 7 and a 7.5 sixty from the summer of 2014.... No?

Good question.  I would concur with you, but I would imagine there'd be some sort of workout to specifically see where the current skills and tools are... A kid with a PG grade of 7 and a 7.5 sixty could have grown, gotten stronger, had a poor day at PG showcase when he got a 7...  

Gov posted:

What are theNCAA restrictions for a player considering a transfer, to "work out" for another college team?  Ex: D3 kid trying out for a D1 after a year of play?

I'm pretty sure that a 4-4 transfer is subject to the rules of the division he is transferring to. So, this information should apply. Permission to contact is required in most cases. You will also find many recommendations for Rick Allen's services in this area on HSBBW.

http://community.hsbaseballweb...al-d1-to-d1-transfer

Last edited by MidAtlanticDad

A 15u teammate of my son was wearing a showcase shirt yesterday and I was just so shocked I yelled out, David, have you been to a PG showcase? He was very polite and said yes ma'am and then he had to run.  I spoke with his mom and she showed me the profile, kid has wicked speed, but everything else is as a 9th grader should be.  What shocked me was that there was NO grade.  All the stats, but no write up or grade.  This was in the end of August, can't imagine whats taking them so long and when it pops up I fear for the kid.  His parents are of the opinion he will just do one every year to keep it up to date, they also paid for the video package.

I think I want to be adopted :- )

I'll also add my observation that most of the college coaches have relationships with other coaches from other divisions.  In other words, say a kid goes to a JUCO and wants to play at a DI school.  That JUCO coach will likely have any number of DI coaches that they work with and make recommendations to.  The DI coaches rely on the trust they have for that JUCO coach and their assessment of a player.  And that JUCO coach is NOT going to recommend a kid to a school when he doesn't think that kid will be a contributor.  It would ruin his reputation.  JUCO coaches will also have contacts with DII, DIII and NAIA coaches and will try to get their kids referred to the appropriate level of program.  

From the other direction, probably every DI coach knows he will have kids that are not going to make it in their program.  They will often have relationships with coaches from other levels to refer the kid to.  

I think these relationships are much more important than what a kid scored at a PG showcase.  

Also keep in mind, if a kid wants to move up from an NCAA DII or DIII team to a DI team, the sit out rule applies.  Going down from DI to DII or DIII, there is no sit out rule.  Nor are there sit out restrictions between NCAA and NAIA or JUCO programs.

#1 Assistant Coach posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

We are having a debate on another site about PG showcase grades and the following point system was posted, presumably from the PG website, that the grades stand for:

10 -- Potential very high draft pick, Top DI in the nation prospect
9 -- Potential top 10 round pick, Top DI prospect
8 -- Potential mid round pick, definite DI prospect
7 -- Potential low round pick, DI prospect or top level Juco, DII
6 -- Possible DI prospect, definite DII or Juco prospect
5 -- Possible DII prospect or mid range Juco prospect
4 -- Possible low level DII or high level DIII prospect
3 -- Possible DIII or low level Juco prospect
2 -- Possible low level DIII prospect
1 -- No prospect at this time

I can't recall ever seeing a PG grade of less than I think maybe a 7...has anyone seen a showcase grade below that?  Has anyone seen a player with a recent PG score of an 8 play for a D1? i.e not the showcase score they got when they were in 9th grade, but a recent to graduation PG score of an 8 or 8.5 on a D1 roster?

These number explanations seem kind of wonky to me.  What do y'all think?

Not looking for praise for son here, only sharing this nugget for those whose son's may be in same boat as mine was:

Yes, I have seen a PG grade of less than 7.  It was my son.   And his Grade was 6.5  It was his freshman year of HS.  He knew, that due to his young age, he could have it omitted from his PG Profile page.   He said, "No leave it.  I'll keep working and go back there and do better."   But he also knew, that any coach or person who looked him up on PG would immediately see PG GRADE: 6.5 front and center next to his name.  Please note:  since he was graded a 6.5 he went on to commit to two different D-1 programs, and had additional D-1 and D-3 offers while that 6.5 was there on his PG Profile page.  Son always felt it was sort of a "scarlet number," but it obviously never was an issue in his recruitment.  Coaches trust their own eyes, period.  A good PG Grade can help, but I don't think a bad one will "kill" one's recruitment.  

Long story short, after he committed to second D-1 this summer, he finally did a second PG showcase and was graded a 9.5

Remember, PG Grades are a snapshot.  They do not define.  They only tell you where you are on that day.  Throughout my son's journey whenever he mused about his level of development, usually believing he was behind his peers (and he was), I always told him, "Relax.  You're right where your supposed to be."

I always thought PG overrated a lot of players until I really noticed and understood two words, "potential" and "possible." It's easy to want to eliminate these words in your mind and replace with "is." It goes back to "hear what the coach is really saying, not want you want to hear." I saw a lot of "potential" 8's turn out to be 3-5's.

Last edited by RJM

I've seen it thrown out here many times that anyone can find a spot on a college baseball teams if they are willing to play anywhere just to say they played college baseball. Could a kid who is PG rated as a 2 realistically find a spot on a college roster?

Ja'Crispy posted:

I've seen it thrown out here many times that anyone can find a spot on a college baseball teams if they are willing to play anywhere just to say they played college baseball. Could a kid who is PG rated as a 2 realistically find a spot on a college roster?

You need to appreciate the scale as what it is, not what we form in our mind it to be.

Logically, when you hear of a 1-10 scale, you assume that 5 is the average and anything above or below are just that, above or below average.

So if you assume that 5.6% of HS baseball senior players go on to play college ball, and that 5.6% are above average, then the numbers make sense, since they are saying that a grade 2 of above has that POSSIBILITY.  While many of the kids attending a PG showcase won't go on to play HS ball, many of the attendees do, likely a MUCH higher percentage than 5.6%, so you have to consider the sample size is very skewed.

Much like the military where the annual rating system is unbelievably skewed to the extent that receiving a 97% appraisal (which you'd think would be rocking) is essentially a kiss of death and code for being an absolute dirt bag.

So by PG definition, scoring a 2 or above means they see the possibility of you playing college ball.  Not that you'll play 2 or 4 years, be a starter, etc., etc., but only that you'll play college ball, and a grade of 1 indicating that you have no chance of playing college ball at that time.  My guess is that all of us, by nature, would assume a grade of 3 or less would indicate that the kid is endangering himself by even being on the field, but by their scale, that's not the case.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.