Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by RRF8:
In high school baseball, the designated hitter is pinch run for by the player that is playing the field position that the DH is hitting for.

Can the original DH re-enter the game, as long as he comes into the field for the person that pinch ran for him?

If the DH was a starter he may re-enter once in any posisition, except DH in this case, as long as he remains in the same spot in the batting order.
So it plays out like this....P1 is the defensive starter and P2 is the DH hitting on behalf of P1. P2 hits on behalf of P1 in the 2nd and 4th innings. In the 4th, he strokes a base hit, so coach removes the DH role by inserting P1 to run for P2. This action removes P2 from the game and eliminates the DH. P1 is now both a defensive player and an offensive player hitting in the slot originally occupied by P2.

In a later inning, can P2 re-enter in place of P1 and become a full-time player (offense and defense)? (I think "yes")...

Also, can P1 re-enter to replace P2 in the 7th? Technically, P1 has only been removed once, therefore he should be able to re-enter, right? (I think "yes" again)...

And is it correct that, if using a DH, there are technically 10 starters?
Schwammi, the way you explain the situation, it makes sense.

The way it originally was described, it wasn't so clear. I'm getting a little old and senile in my old age.

I got in the middle of one of these discussions during a USA baseball qualifier tournament. They were playing NFHS rules and at one point, the DH and the player being DH'd for were both on the field at the same time. This is not possible. I pointed this out to the umpire and we got into a 20 minute discussion. The opposing coach walked through some long "this guy for that guy thing" that almost made sense (25 man rosters, trying to get playing time, many substitutions)...

Then I asked the umpire, where is P1 batting and where is P2 batting in the order? Neither he nor USA baseball nor the opposing coach could answer how P1/P2 once occupied the same spot in the lineup and both be on the field and thus must be occupying different spots in the batting order.

The umpire said he needed to finish the game after consulting with USA baseball. I told him I'd like to appeal any discision that suggested the lineup/players on the field was valid. He agreed and said he'd let USA baseball figure it out at the end of the game, but we were stacking up and the out of state teams had travel plans.

At the time we were down about 6 runs in the bottom of the last inning. We scored about 6+1 in the bottom of the last inning and won, so I withdrew my appeal.

I don't even think you can appeal something like that. What should I have done (he says as he starts a whole new thread)?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.