Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll put together a list of some songs I play in my regular rotation tonight.

Tips: NEVER play a song you haven't listened to all the way through.

Consider the in-game music for the fans moreso than the players...they have something to do in between innnings, the fans are just sitting there.

I'm a classic rock and country guy...with some new rock thrown in (Saliva, Evanessence, etc.) Personally hate hip-hop/rap...plus I can find very little that I can actually play during the game.

I would be interested in seeing other's playlists as well...always looking to add good songs.

For starters, AC/DC is always good...Back in Black, Thunderstruck, It's a Long Way, I don't play Hells Bells. Jason Aldean and Trace Adkins are good.
Maybe a dumb question but will ask anyway. What kind of program/software do people use for walk up music?

I was at a CAA college game this past weekend and was listening to the walk up songs and was wonder how you get just a 20 sec clip of a song?

Maybe it is the limited understand of my IPOD...I usually get my kids to download music for me.
quote:
Originally posted by dad43:
Maybe a dumb question but will ask anyway. What kind of program/software do people use for walk up music?

I was at a CAA college game this past weekend and was listening to the walk up songs and was wonder how you get just a 20 sec clip of a song?

Maybe it is the limited understand of my IPOD...I usually get my kids to download music for me.

I edit with Audacity.
I play my music using Sports Sounds Pro.
I'm the DJ/announcer this year and am having a blast. I've been listening to "I played chicken with a train," and "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" for years. Now it's all mine hahahahahah!!! Coach likes Rock and Roll, and so do I!

If you can get an mp3 of a song (as opposed to an mp4 like you download from iTunes), you can download free software to cut the songs. Can't remember the name of the software but you can google it. 2B made short walk-up songs for most of his teammates.

Here's my list:
As soon as I get there: Let's Get it Started (Black Eyed Peas), then usually some upbeat, energetic stuff. Move it on Over or Who do you Love? (George Thorogood (sp?)), Pride and Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughan), Honky Tonk Nighttime Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd), "U Can't Touch This" (MC Hammer) Everybody Needs Somebody from the Blues Brothers soundtrack, stuff like that.
During home IF/OF: Crazy Train, Enter Sandman, Shine (new song from the Olympics by 3 Doors Down).
Visitors IF/OF: Theme to the Pink Panther, maybe some Kenny G or Boney James. We have an administrator at every game, so I can't get too crazy, but the smooth jazz puts 'em right to sleep. Smile

When the home team takes the field: Thunderstruck (AC/DC)
Between innings, I try to mix it up: Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top) Tough Enough (Fabulous Thunderbirds), Hard to Handle (Black Crowes), Shining Star (Earth, Wind & Fire), You Really Got Me (Van Halen), Gotta See You Sweat (C+C music factory), I feel Good (James Brown), Mojo (live version - Muddy Waters), Boom Boom (John Lee Hooker), Future's so bright (I gotta wear shades) (Timbuk 3), Rock and Roll is Dead (Lenny Kravitz), Pump It (Black Eyed Peas), and there isn't a game played where we don't play Love Shack. I've also got some U2 in there (Elevation and Beautiful Day), and some Little Feat (Dixie Chicken and Oh Atlanta). After a win, I play I got a feelin' by the Black Eyed Peas, and after our one loss, I played Pick up the Pieces - Average White Band.

I have a friend who is trying to get me to add some Journey and Bon Jovi. I told her that I would do a lot of things for her. Lend her money, bail her out of jail, whatever. But I will not put Bon Jovi or Journey on my iPod. Those silky voiced pretty boys make my skin crawl. Big Grin
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:
I do - believe me! Smile I am very careful.
I think there is a rule that no music is supposed to be played during an inning (like walk-up songs) so if I mess up, they could cut me off. And then I would be very sad! So far the umpires have been great.

Trust me thats the last thing we want to be involved with...We have plenty on the feld to worry about...
OK...instead of trying to type out a list...here are three screen shots of my various playlist taken from Sports Sounds Pro...

The first is what I call my "BP playlist". I start this around 1 hour before game time. Fans are not there. And this music is for the players...it's harder rock n roll, and I'll squeeze in a hip/hop song or two that I might not play during the game just to appease them.

The second playlist is my "pre-game" playlist. I start playing off this list around 30 min. to 20 minutes before game time, when fans start to arrive...you see a little softer approach with the music, althoug still upbeat...more country, pop stuff like Hootie and the Blowfish, etc. This would be what I call my more "fan friendly" list.

The final screen shot is my "Game Day Page". It has my National Anthem, top of first song when the home team takes the field, all of my player walkups labeled by name instead of song (and then I arrange them in order by batting order once we get the lineup), homerun stings and organ builds, then my handpicked songs for that game...usually back to a little more harder sound, but more popular stuff that people know...my "better" songs. There's music for top and bottom of innings as well I usually check the top ten lists for each genre on Itunes to see if there's something new and popular...

I sure hope this stuff helps...

Please feel free to ask additional questions...the software pictured is Sports Sounds Pro. You can download a limited trial version for free...the full version was about $150 and worth every single dime I paid for it.
Last edited by scdigger

Looks like it's been a while since this topic has been update so I'll share my playlist for Spring 2017 below.  As the announcer of my sons 9th grade team, I find myself paying much closer attention to music and making notes of songs I think will work well at the baseball games (during pre-game warm-ups and between innings).   The upbeat country music of the last 5 years really seems to work well.  I like to mix in some hip-hop, metal, pop.  Unfortunately, if I polled the team many of them would suggest explicit rap songs which just won't fly.  But you can find clean version of some explicit rap and hip-hop songs.  As far as programs for intros in addition to Audacity, you might check out an iPhone app called BallparkDJ which is tailored for mixing voice and clipped music and has an option to use your own voice or order voice from the voice of the Atlanta Braves (we're doing that this season and kids are loving it).  Here is my current list (long).

Well, my playlist contains 157 songs and I thought it would be easy to export this list as text using iTunes, but Apple seems to do everything possible to prevent this.  So I just exported a bunch of screenshots of my playlist.   Hope this helps.

Playlist - Page 1
Playlist - Page 2
Playlist - Page 3
Playlist - Page 4
Playlist - Page 5
Playlist - Page 6
Playlist - Page 7
Playlist - Page 8
Playlist - Page 9
Playlist - Page 10

Last edited by cpayne

My son's high school league forbade any music with lyrics on the grounds that lyrics could be taunting and unsportsmanlike.  I didn't know this at first.  Learned the hard way.  Made a play list of great between inning  songs during his sophomore year for the JV team.  I  let each player choose a walk-up.    I played warm up music playing during pre-game warmups.  Apparently the JV coach didn't know this was all  a no-no.   AD heard about through the grapevine, after a couple of games.  She read the coach the riot act.   We had to put a stop to our great music selections.   Games weren't nearly as fun after that. 

Last edited by SluggerDad

Yea, I agree....without music, just not nearly as fun.  The music we use at games is certainly never intended as "taunting or unsportsmanlike"...just intended to enhance the atmosphere....for BOTH teams and the fans of BOTH teams.  We include some walk-up music with intros for our home team.  Obviously it's too involved to do so for the opposing team, but I do announce the visiting players as they step to the plate (and with the same enthusiasm I use for our team).  If you're looking for a possible lyric-free alternative, the BallparkDJ app does include about 20 lyric-free songs that work pretty well for baseball games (and really good for walk-up intros).  So you could use these songs for both, setting up one team for the walk-up intros and another team for the intermissions.

Was recently at an away game where the PA guy had quite a sense of humor.....Although I found it amusing, some of our other parents didn't enjoy it too much (lol)

After any of our kids K'd: "Another one bites the dust" <Queen>

During our multiple mound visit's: "Help" <Beatles>

After their kid hit a HR: "You dropped a bomb on me" <The Gap Band>

It was a really intense 1 run game. My kid was 3/4 on the day (kid behind him was o'fer) and came up with the tying run on 3rd. 2 outs, top 7. Their coach called for the intentional walk (my kid was pissed!) and as he trotted down to 1st:

"Walk of life" <Dire Straits>

He couldn't help but chuckle...as his home game walk up song is "Money for nothing" <Dire Straits>. Guessing their PA guy was unaware of the irony.

Our next batter K'd to keep his o'fer alive and strand the tying run at 3rd. Can you guess what was played next?

"Bad Day" <Daniel Powter>

LMAO-

Last edited by DesertDuck

Agree on the rap.  But unfortunately if the kids had their way, it would be a lot of explicit rap.  But the announcer obviously shouldn't give into that for respect of everyone else at the ballpark.  I find myself catering more to the parents with the music....nothing with an E next to it gets on my playlist.   There are clean versions of many E songs but some of those don't pass the filter either just because of the content as much as the language.  So yea, the announcer / DJ has the responsibility of being the filter.....and you just hope you have chosen one with good judgement (and taste in music).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.